IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first autox in my STi this weekend and All I have to say is WOW. :eek: This car is so powerful that a crappy driver like me can run pretty good times. I had an instructor with me the first couple of runs and I overheard him later commenting about how much torque my car had. I had a great time and plan on hitting events when ever possible.

One question though, I noticed what feels like a flat spot on one of my tires on the way home. I thought with abs that should not happen. Is this a problem or should I not worry about it? Also, should I rotate my tires now? I was thinking about doing this because the front tires definitely have more wear than the rears and I want these tires to last a while. I know they are soft, but I would like to squeeze every mile I can out of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have done just 2 autoXs and total mileage of 3.5K. My front tires are already on the Wear Tread idicator (the small triangles on the tires walls). I need to rotate asap. But the backs seem to fair alot better.

I think with rotating I should get to 6 to 7 K. You cannot really expect to get more from soft tires also used to autoX :(

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got this pic from the race:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Auto x advice. Mark your tires with chalk where the tread meets the sidewall. Then after you do a hard run, look to see where the chalk is worn off. This line should not go into the sidewall arrow, but right up to it. If you sidewall is bending over too far then you need more air. I haven't raced the STi yet, but my old WRX needed about 42 psi fron and 31 psi rear.

Jim

·
Registered
347 Posts
i had mine at the russell autocross set up in the paddock at laguna last week, w/ 2 of their head instructors who are old friends(one of them has a stock wrx)and we ended up w/ 40psi fr/30psi rr. what a blast...and oh yeah, the sti just flat stomps the regular wrx. like we had any doubts...

·
Registered
23 Posts
norcal-sti said:
i had mine at the russell autocross set up in the paddock at laguna last week, w/ 2 of their head instructors who are old friends(one of them has a stock wrx)and we ended up w/ 40psi fr/30psi rr. what a blast...and oh yeah, the sti just flat stomps the regular wrx. like we had any doubts...
I have been instructing a friend how to autocross his STI... Torque is a wonderful thing... :p The STI meets all the expectactions that I had for my WRX, My STI will be here soon.

I have tried, with resonable success, 44f 44r for tire presures and the car seems very very stable...

Interesting point to make, another friend of mine who has a STX prepp'ed WRX with a 6 speed tranny was only half a second off my times in the STI. He was on Tein HG's with kumo MX tires, I was on a stock STI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts