IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: thanks

This month's Consumer Reports reviews the STi, EVO, RX-8, 350Z and Chrysler Crossfire (Ok, which one doesn't belong here?). Sorry to spoil the big surprise, but CR found the STi to be the best of the bunch.

OK, OK, I know us old fogies get our car reviews from CR, but they are the reason I bought my WRX (Most fun to drive a couple of years ago) and that's why I bought the STi because of that recommendation.

Might be less biased than Car and Driver and others.

Fred Rosser

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i'm an "old fogie" (does 38 count?? :) ) and i have zero respect for CR with regards to cars, but i was surprised by their results. unfortunately, we'd get laughed off the planet if we used a CR opinion as our weapon against the unanimous "evo is better" opinion in the "real" car rags. but as you say, it might be less biased. dunno. and btw, did you see the ranked the focus svt above the sti?

the *one* upside of all this is that my friends who read and respect CR and don't "get" my car might have a tad more appreciation for it. hey, i'll take it however i can get it. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Test driving is the only way to go. STI is a well-balanced car while the EVO leans more towards the extreme as far as handling goes. I am sure Subaru is capable of making the STI corner better than the EVO. This all depends on Subaru's corporate strategy. Do you really want to make a car that lives on track but uncomfortable to drive on the street or a daily driver that the majority of us can enjoy on a daily basis? I don't know how many of us can afford two cars: one for weekend racing and one for regular use with some fast and furious excitement. Not me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A track instructor here in Denver, said that he actually thought magazines were talking a bit much about the Evo being faster on a track, he said that the reality of it was the they are pretty much equally fast. He said for the extra grand the DCCD and the 6th speed are better overall

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I want MORE torque!!!!

Also considering that most of the mag reviews I've seen are for the japanese or european versions, meaning that the Evo has AYC, and the STi is a 2.0 liter instead of 2.5.......

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Any dealers have them?

one thing that we should all look at down the road is which car maintains its reliability. i've heard alot of people complain about rust problems with mitsubishi brand cars. as for Subaru, well i personally know of many that have lived long long lives.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Personally, I say Consumer Reports can bite me. Their reviews are so completely worthless.

What pushed me over the edge was when I bought my Trans Am, and I read Consumer Report's review of it... and they complained about how it sat too low, and was hard to get in and out of... and recommended people buy a TOYOTA CAMRY instead.

How out of touch with the market do you have to be to not know that anyone who is interested in buying a Trans Am is not going to be interested in a Camry??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts