IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This whole break-in process is starting to feel like dating. You know, lots of wining and dining until she's comfortable enough to let you in her pants :lol:
However, in these pants, you're going to hopefully find the adrenaline rush that lives above 4k rpm.
The relationship begins long before you ever meet. You've admired her from afar for a while. Read about her in magazines and looked at pics of her on the internet. Then you go for a test drive to see if she's as good as she looks. Well she is! You ask to take her home and then gently drive her home. You take her for long scenic drives through the country. You take her to expensive restaurants where you order the most expensive dishes, Amoco Ultimate and Sunoco 94 :eek: Now that you two are well acquainted, you start some foreplay. Maybe some gentle caressing over the shirt(run it up to 3.5k rpm), then some under the shirt(up to 4k rpm), but you're not sure if she's quite ready for you to go downtown :(
After you put some more miles and time into the relationship, you start to get some feedback that she might be receptive to some further foreplay from you. As she closes in on 1000 miles your anticipation grows.
Well, I'm at 996 miles and I think tonight might be the night :D
Wish me luck....lol
Anyone else feel this way? Maybe it's because I've been married for almost 5 years and been dating the same girl for over 10 years and I'm just looking for some innocent fun.
Scott
'04 STi
JBP/Gold

·
Registered
343 Posts
Too tell you the truth, mine saw some rough stuff before the 1K mark. You Scott are a true gentleman!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Subaru WRX Aluminum Front Bumper Trim Kit (AutoSpeed Perf)

I'm at 980 miles and I'm tired of this being told no at 4000 rpm crap. I'm so close to dusting the next unsuspecting Mustang that revs at me that I can practically taste it! In another short few miles, this car is going to let me have my way with it and it shall be GOOD!!

I'm tired of taking cold showers after every drive because I have to control my right foot. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S20-SC interior & Docklands

I was revved on by a Ford Fairlane yesterday that was jacked up about 3' in the rear. He slowed down and waited for me to get next to him and then he started hitting the gas and making his car jump. Fortunately, he turned right at the light, thereby eliminating the risk of a run over 4k rpm. The same scenario occurred several years ago in the same spot w/ a primered Nova.....only that time I was driving my single turbo Supra and I turned right and he followed :D He jumped to the left lane and floored it. Several seconds later he was about 10 cars back. I slowed and let him pass. He and his buddy never looked over :roll: I guess they weren't expecting a little Jap car to be packing 550+rwhp :p
I hope the STi will fair as well when the first challenge arises.
Scott

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
problem

Well, now I am at 1005 miles but I haven't celebrated yet because I was riding around with my wife. :D But before I hit 1000 I was challenged by a dude in a slammed Accord who raced up and rev'd at me. I think he was either on something or had never heard of the STi.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well.....I just got back from my latest "date" and I got some :D She now has 1004 miles on her and I did a quick 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5 run up to 6500 rpm. You know the first time is always quick :wink:
Anyway, I'm pretty impressed. It pulled nicely to 6500. Can't wait to play somemore on the way to work tomorrow :D
Now I need to start planning the mods.
Scott

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Interesting, I just did the same, at least pretty close. It's a lot different than I thought it would be at WOT in the higher rev ranges. Based on what I felt it would be like from the little "hints" of power driving partial throttle under 4k, it actually did not have the "holy crap, hang on mildred!" feeling that I thought it would when I finally cut loose.

It definitely pulls and you can tell you are going somewhere quick, but it's not what I anticipated. Note I'm not complaining, and I've no doubt it is accelerating faster than it feels, but I can see what some reviewers said when they felt that STi doesn't feel that quick even though it is going quite quickly.

There's not only little turbo lag with the STi, there's NO turbo lag! At no point did I really say "wow, the turbo just spooled up!" or anything like that at all. It really does pull pretty consistently from around 3.5k - 4k on up to redline. That actually says a lot about what Subaru has managed to do with it.

It really is deceptive, it just doesn't catch you off guard like I thought it would.

Now I need a boost guage so I can see what's happening!! :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Radar,
I think the torque the STi generates so low keeps it from feeling really fast. Not to mention the tiny turbo is almost always spinning so you don't get that "spooling" feeling. I test drove an '03 Cobra and it didn't feel very fast up top, but I know it was moving because I watched the speedo. The "always on tap" torque makes the acceleration so linear it can be deceiving. Now my T88 Supra.....you KNEW when that was coming on boost :D
I might have to throw on an APS DR65 to get that feeling back :eek: :eek:
Scott

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i have a couple complaints about the STi

I loved the beginning paragraph :) Makes me glad that I have been steady with my young lady for over a year and a half (longest relationship I have had is 5 years though, so this one is still in it's beginning technically) I can't wait to start my new relationship with the STi though :)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Easy question....

fledis said:
The "always on tap" torque makes the acceleration so linear it can be deceiving.
Yeah, I think that's undoubtedly it. I need to take it out in the daytime and do some runs on a dragstrip or something and see what kind of numbers I get. So far I've only opened it up a few times, all at night, all on deserted roads in nice flat areas, and it's hard to get a visual reference of speed or acceleration like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts