IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Banned
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I had installed mine, I was reminded time after time, that these will squeek and make noises like crazy. Not sure what I did, but my friend Allen and I have not heard any crazy noises! I know what type of sound the brakes make because I used to have a BBK with Ferrodo pads, and they would squeel like hell.

I used factory shims when I installed mine, and my friends.

Question to you guys with these pads, did you use the stock shims?

Im just curious overall...

· Super Moderator
10,896 Posts
Used OEM shims and have light pedal squeak at less than 15 mph.

· Registered
198 Posts
(old thread, I know, wanna keep this info in 1 thread though)

I went from Hawk HPS for daily driving, and just switched over to Ferodo DS2500's for a HPDE event coming up this weekend. I have a couple hundred miles with them for daily driving.

Hawk HPS impressions

-Great for daily driving, low brake dust compared to stock

-Stopping power about the same as stock

-Silent operation, no squealing

-Low cost

I haven't tracked with them yet, though. I have only tracked with the stock pads. I heard the HPS's won't hold up to high temps, especially a track like Road America (4 miles, lots of straights). Which leads me to the reasons I went to Ferodo:

Ferodo DS2500 impressions

-Got these b/c of the reviews I read abt decent track performance and daily drivability

-So far, not nearly as great for daily driving

-LOTS of brake squeals at low speed at a certain pedal force. If you try to feather the brake before stopping, you'll get the loud squeal. If you force the brake at the stop, they are fine.

-Same amount of brake dust as stock pads

-Stopping power feels better than stock

Once the HPDE is over, I'll definitely go back to the HPS's for daily driving. The main reason is the loud squeal upon stopping. Before I get crucified for not being 'hard-core' and I should 'expect this from a performance brake', the squeal is pretty damn annoying, and I can put up with a lot of variables affecting daily driving :lol:

I used the stock shims in the front and rear. The front had 2 shims, the rectangular one contacting the backing plate, and the triangular one, arrow pointing up, on top of that shim. The rear only had 1.

I used caliper/pad grease on the shims on both sides, the same stuff I used when I did the HPS's.

I bedded the pads in per Ferodo's instructions. They were vague, 30 hard stops, no mention of speed or time between stops, etc. They didn't start squealing until the next day after I bedded them.

I re-did the bedding using Stoptech's procedure, the 10 stops from 60 to 10mph, let them cool, and repeat. Still no dice, they're just as loud as the original bedding in.

If I did it over again, I would NOT have gone with the DS2500, as people are saying they are for 'light-track duty'. A dedicated track pad, instead of a compromised pad, would be a better choice. For the price, the DS2500's aren't cost effective (for me) to use for daily driving. I'll give some impressions on track performance of these next week.

· Registered
187 Posts
I'm using DS2500s on the street and they're noise free - so far quieter than stock or HPS. I bedded them using the listed procedure but did a few additional stops from 50-10 or so. I also used them on new rotors which I've heard can make a big difference (my Hawk HPS were much louder but I used them with old rotors). I used stock shims with a lot of grease.

· The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
10,384 Posts
yea, it seems like the ferodo's are a crap shoot as far as noise. my were noisy as hell, so i use them on the track. At Limerock they work really well, as it isn't that bad of a track on brakes.

Lang - since the pads dont have much use, you could sell them and go with something dedicated.

· Registered
374 Posts
I just bought a set of 2500's I'll be installing this weekend. Hopefully they'll be quiet like most people's on here. I can deal with the noise though. I've never bedded a set of pads before; where do you guys do it so that you can make the set of hard stops, but also be able to drive around at close to highway speeds w/o hitting the brakes again to let them cool?

· Registered
1,072 Posts
My DS2500's squeal like a pig being violated. I plan on doing the bed-in procedure again. However, I will continue to use them since I like their braking characteristics. I can live with the squeaking but if I can reduce it or eliminate it I'd be verry happy.

My squealing is similar to the post above. It only comes on after braking in traffic then I get noise while coasting to a stop. Hard brake taps stop it temporarily.

· Registered
187 Posts
Quick question for those who have had noise issues: Did you install the pads on new, resurfaced, or cleaned/sanded rotors? I'm thinking that could be a factor since mine are quiet but I installed new rotors as well. Also seeing as my HPS were real noisy but I installed them on used rotors.

I also did some extra 50-10 stops my goal being get them hot as hell and transfer as much material to the new rotor as possible. I also used the e-brake for the times that I had to stop before the cool down period.

· Registered
931 Posts
thrlskr said:
I used the OEM shims. Mine hardly sqeak at very slow speeds with light pedal pressure. No fade at the track. For reference I also use ATE Super Blue and I experienced pad fade with the OEM pads.
I thought I'd update my earlier comment. Mine scream after (not during) a hard canyon run, but they alway quiet down after 20 miles or so.

· Registered
789 Posts
I have the Ferodo DS2500s currently installed and I don't really have issues with noise. They have been through two autoxs and approximately 1000 miles of daily driving and only get squealing when I first start up and reverse out of a spot. I used the stock shims/backing plates for the fronts and the shims from the rear but couldn't get the backing plate off of the stock rears. No track time yet but will be running these on track in July unless I decide to pick up a more track oriented pad.

· The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
10,384 Posts
syrarch04 said:
I just bought a set of 2500's I'll be installing this weekend. Hopefully they'll be quiet like most people's on here. I can deal with the noise though. I've never bedded a set of pads before; where do you guys do it so that you can make the set of hard stops, but also be able to drive around at close to highway speeds w/o hitting the brakes again to let them cool?
you don't have to drive around at highway speed to cool them, you just need to be moving. so go find an empty, relatively long road and just drive around.

· Registered
3,380 Posts
Dos531 said:
I used the stop squeal stuff on the backs and it was great no squeals at all until I went to the track. After going to the track they squeal at low speeds now, but it doesnt bother me really.

Yea, mine were great for the first 2K miles, then they started to squeak after a track day (which they performed excellent at).

I really like how they perform, worth dealing with the noise IMO.

· Registered
3,950 Posts
There's definite increase in noise, but it's a decent trade-off for less dust and great performance.

I did get the pads to fade ever so slightly at my last track event, but I guess it's not too difficult to get street/track duty pads to fade.

· Registered
4,058 Posts
I'm running DS2500's right now, and this is my third set of pads for the STI. My observations for each...

Stock:
1. Plenty of black dust
2. Great initial bite, fair resistance to fade
3. Dead quiet.
Overall: Best so far "street only" pad I've experienced

Hawk HPS:
1. Not as much dust as stock, but still plenty, and RED. Yikes!
2. Horrible initial bite, good midrange grip, horrible fade at high temperature
3. Dead quiet.
Overall: A dissapointment and waste of money.

Ferodo DS2500:
1. First cold stop noticably weak. Only takes one stop to warm them up though, and after that they're fine.
2. Good initial bite -- not quite like stock, but good. Very good midrange grip.
3. Very good resistance to fade, better than stock and a lot better than HPS.
4. Occasional squeal at slow speed low pressure stops.
5. Dusts about like stock, both amount and color.
Overall: Happy with performance, I get away with using these for both street and HPDE, I plan on getting another set when I wear these out.

· Registered
649 Posts
mine are squealing at low speeds when they get hot... i think im gonna regrease them tomorrow.... I put them on 125 miles ago.. they were initially quiet but picked up noise at around 60 miles...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.