IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 07 STi to the Subaru dealer today for a service visit and after the work was done the tech informed me that I had "Feathered Tires" Say what? I ran my hand over each tire and could feel a feathering effect on all of the tires. (Location in all 4 tires is the inner thread) I am little perplexed to why they are feathered. Even worse is the Subaru tech' recommendation of getting new tires! Why? There is still plenty of thread life. (Maybe 10,000 miles worth?)
So am I missing something here?

The tire in question are Sumitomo HTRZ 2 (225/45/ZR17) with about 22,000 miles on them. All balancing and alignment was done by the tire shop when I purchased the tires. Tire rotation is every 5000 miles. My suspension is stock and as far as I know the camber setting is also. This car is never tracked or driven harsh. Its just my commute car to go to work where it see 99% of the time straight freeway miles. The car has 54,000 miles on it currently.

On a side note, after about 15,000 miles of driving on the Sumitomo, I started to get some "tire howl" noise when only cruising around 55 mph. (Higher or lower speeds and there is no noise) I just presumed it had to do with wear and the tread pattern of the Sumitomo HTRZ 2 tires.

So why are all 4 tires feathering? Should I get new tires? If not, what if any concern are there?

James

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Just did a really quick read on the tires and reviews from other people (not sure if they were STi owners or not) - but the tires seem to have very poor sidewalls. People called it a "bubbling"...don't know what that means, ha.

Hope this answers the question, it seems to be the tires.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did a really quick read on the tires and reviews from other people (not sure if they were STi owners or not) - but the tires seem to have very poor sidewalls. People called it a "bubbling"...don't know what that means, ha.

Hope this answers the question, it seems to be the tires.
No bubbling is entirely different issue! Thats a poorly constructed side-wall issue.

Feathering is a caster or toe issue. Its funny though, because the car does not pull and the steering is straight. I hate to spend the money to see if those parameters are out of whack! I mean the feathering is very little and I will be getting new tires this summer anyway.

I guess my concern are for safety for highway use.

Anyone else with any input?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sorry, did another read after I posted yesterday...and I kind of said it was the sidewalls that are the problem, i.e. they either feather or bubble.

But I did the second search and I found that the entire tire seems to "feather." I think you said your problem was the "inside tread" of the tire, do you mean the sides or the actual inside inside of the tire? If so, my answer still holds, it's the tire.

I read through many reviews on TireRack.com and an Audi forum along with other places, it's the same thing across the boards. It is NOT the car's fault.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
Templar, how about some pictures of the tire tread? If the tires start to "howl" as you describe the symptom and the wear is isolated to the center tread block, I suspect tire pressure as a contributor. There are other factors as well. Some manufacturers tires have charateristics that "could" contribute to improper wear & howling noise.

When I diagnose "feathering" and think improper toe contributed, it is typically wear on the outer tread block leading or trailing edge, not the center tread block. So I would be interested to see images of your tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts