IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
In my opinion, pretty reliable if its modded correctly, tuned right, and driven responsibly. With increased power comes more responsibility.

For reference, my car is going on over 40K at stage 2+ and tuned. Here i am breaking 70K and still going strong.

·
Registered
58 Posts
in my experience, very reliable.

my fbo sti (well almost fbo, still stock header and turbo) was beat on hard, and lasted 60k miles till i got power hungry and got a bigger turbo.......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my opinion, pretty reliable if its modded correctly, tuned right, and driven responsibly. With increased power comes more responsibility.

For reference, my car is going on over 40K at stage 2+ and tuned. Here i am breaking 70K and still going strong.
I mean I bought all the supporting mods iag aos 4 cylinder cooling mod upgraded oil pickup and baffle and bigger radiator

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I mean I bought all the supporting mods iag aos 4 cylinder cooling mod upgraded oil pickup and baffle and bigger radiator
Thats great and all but that just 1 part of my previous statement. The rest is up to you lol. I dont have any of that stuff and im doing just fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have the iag AOS too, but i dont yet have the cyl 4 cooling mod. i probably should have got that when i got my new radiatior but i honestly forgot about it lol. I am definitely a fan of adding the reliability mods aka oiling components and cooling components.my advice is simply dont get power hungry. i genuinely believe had I not got a bigger turbo and got power hungry my car wouldnt have had any issues. (i'm built now and have no issues, but i look at my blown piston everyday to remind me haha)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
How reliable is a fbo sti with a good pro tune ?
FBO: do we have a definition? without it the question is meaningless.

Time FBO everything power wise which includes a stock location turbo. It does not necessarily mean any safety mods.

My 05 was Stage 2 from app 115K to 185K mi that's 70K mi "at age" with no safety mods whatsoever - and I would not do them in hindsight. That cars bottom end was worn out at 185K and was built, which to me is FBO + built bottom end. Added AOS then and pickup then. Don't think I'll ever bother wi cyl 4 cooling mod without better evidence or a better understanding of that it is of real benefit - a few degrees difference doesn't bother me a bit. Do you believe every other part of the engine is at the same temp?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats great and all but that just 1 part of my previous statement. The rest is up to you lol. I dont have any of that stuff and im doing just fine.
I mean tbh i baby my sti don’t even beat on it Mabe once a month lol and Ik if I run he will be much cooler for engine.

·
Registered
2020 STI Limited
9 Posts
As my tuner told me: if you treat it like a POS, it'll break like one. The common life support mods (AOS, oil pickup, Cyl 4) will never come close to simply keeping up with maintenance and driving your car within its limits. Now, you obviously want mo powah baby. So, for FBO I can't stress the importance of a dyno tune from a reputable tuner who will also help you plan your build. Here in Maryland I see many STI's with FBO last as long as stock ones.. but I'm new in this forum and literally just bought an STI so I'm as least credible as it gets.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As my tuner told me: if you treat it like a POS, it'll break like one. The common life support mods (AOS, oil pickup, Cyl 4) will never come close to simply keeping up with maintenance and driving your car within its limits. Now, you obviously want mo powah baby. So, for FBO I can't stress the importance of a dyno tune from a reputable tuner who will also help you plan your build. Here in Maryland I see many STI's with FBO last as long as stock ones.. but I'm new in this forum and literally just bought an STI so I'm as least credible as it gets.
Yea it’s getting dyno tuned by the best tuner in my area eveyone goes to him plus I don’t realy beat on my car once a while few pills not my Dailey oil changes every 3k miles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts