IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in desperate need of help. my wife and I love the sti but we hate the seats. any ride over five minutes and one or both of us have back aches. I thought about bulstering up or computer chairs and retro fitting them(ya right)
seriously though she's 5' tall 95lbs I'm 5'-11" 170lbs we both drive the car, more so me. I just want a decent pair of seats that are; skinny, heavily bolstered, comfortable, and easy to use for driving. believe it or not the only changes in seating between us is forward and backward. help, maybe the carbon fiber seats from the group buy?

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I was just thinking about this the other day. After driving for 3 hours straight I too wish the seats were a tad bit narrow & offered some sort of lumbar support. Jeez Subaru, not all Americans are fat :D

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
i don't know why ppl hate are seats so much i don't mind them at all .. I am 6"2 190 and i like them just fine . And i be on plenty of road trips and i am fine after the drive .. Also i have a bad back .

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
maybe I'm just complaining to much. I'll just wait untill my seats give me a bad back and maybe I'll be more comfortable ^huh^. I noticed someone allready posted 05 evo seats in the used classifieds complete with sliders and everything to fit an sti. I should have just bought an evo but Andy Lieber owns the local mitsu dealer and he only hires PRICKS as sales men!!! if I buy seats they won't be out of an evo I would feel stupid I would like to have nice racing seats that are also comfortable. the problem is nobody around here has a nice seat I could sit in and try out to see if its comfy enough etc. I'll just put that on my crap to do list that won't get done and buy an evo x from one of the PRICKS when they come out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Darkiller said:
i don't know why ppl hate are seats so much i don't mind them at all .. I am 6"2 190 and i like them just fine . And i be on plenty of road trips and i am fine after the drive .. Also i have a bad back .

+1

I am 6'2 175 and I think these seats are not that bad. If I have a problem during long drives it is not from the seats but from the hard suspension and bad roads. I thought that going from honda accord seats to these was a pretty nice upgrade.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I think they are comfortable, but I hated banging my knees and sliding all over the place when I took a corner hard. I'm loving my Recaro Speeds now. :D Getting aftermarket/JDM seats aren't bad decision at all especially when you can get rid of stock seats for $500+.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Darkiller said:
+1, Did a cross country this year and I think our stock seat are better then most aftermarket. I find it hard to blame the seats for your back problems....

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
i think if u are going to blame something blame the suspension .. because yes it is a ruff ride but we also bought a dam rally car

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I could blame it on suspension except I have begun to find I sit to one side of the couch, I mean seat. after a while I end up in a comprimised foot to clutch seating. it leads to my hip hurting. the lack of lumar support hurts my lower back while the lack of bolstering hurts everywhere else! I need to figure things out. jdm seats would be nice but no hieght adjust? thats crap!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Oh yes, the stock seats suck fiercely. Hard, bouncy, no bolstering, and the wrong shape (for me, the lumbar is in the wrong place).

Nobody can really tell you what will work best, though -- you'll have to find seats and test fit your butt & back in them. I tested my butt in an Evo OEM seat in a friend's 03 Evo, and found that it was quite comfy. I tried to find a pair of 06 Evo seats (gray & black) and people wanted a mint for them... and for the money, I decided to get real Recaro Sports. Evo seats look like Sports, but they are constructed differently and more cheaply. Which makes sense, since it's an OEM seat and Mitsu isn't going to pay for hand-made Recaros for a 30K car! ;)

I found that changing the seats made the car feel all new to me. I hadn't realized how annoying the bounce really was until it went away completely. And being able to scoot around corners without bracing against the door is kinda nice :).

One thing to mention, though -- for an 06+ STI, if that is what you have, an OEM Evo seat may be easier to transfer, since it uses springs. A real Recaro uses no springs, and the shape of the seat pan does not make it all that easy to swap the occupant detection system for the passenger seat.

Dave

1 - 20 of 52 Posts