IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am installing an aftermarket avic-x940bt head unit in place of the factory nav head unit in my 12 wrx.

I've been trying to research my options as to whether or not I can use the original antennas for both the GPS and the Satelitte radio.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the factory GPS Antenna is under the dash, mounted on top of the head unit? Will I be able to use this one with my aftermarket radio? Will I need some type of adapter?

For the Satelitte radio, am I correct in saying that the roof antenna is where the satellite antenna goes as well. Would I be able to re-use this antenna? Will I need an adapter?
I've noticed some people mention the HRS GT5-1S coaxial connector..
But i'm not sure I need that..

I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I installed a kenwood after market HU. It came with a gps antennea so i didnt reuse the stocker. The antenna was mounted under the dash but above speedometer and i used that mounting spot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Borkov,

I would be great to have some pics where you install the pioneer GPS antenna. I have ordered a 2012 and will be installing a X940bt as well. Did your 2012 have a stock radio?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Behind the head unit in the dash, there is a flat spot to place the GPS antenna, closer to the base of the windshield. My kenwood gps antenna has been mounted there with industrial velcro for over 3 years. You will want to place the steering wheel button controller on top of the headunit due to programming/led visibility access.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Behind the head unit in the dash, there is a flat spot to place the GPS antenna, closer to the base of the windshield. My kenwood gps antenna has been mounted there with industrial velcro for over 3 years. You will want to place the steering wheel button controller on top of the headunit due to programming/led visibility access.
Yup this is what I did not a single issue with it for years now. It sits right on the duct to the right of the clock held on with double sided tape. Nothing in the way except a single thing layer of dash plastic.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
^ Nice find on the pdf, but IMO not worth the extra work. Behind the headunit is plenty fine and far easier to access. :)
Yup this is what I did not a single issue with it for years now. It sits right on the duct to the right of the clock held on with double sided tape. Nothing in the way except a single thing layer of dash plastic.
Good to know as well! That will save myself some time of prying out the gauge cluster for the antenna install

:tup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice post on the install, but does anyone have a part number for the factory sat antenna? I follow the links and get GM and BMW antenna's on ebay.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For the factory SiriusXM Satellite antenna, it runs to the top passenger side of the windshield. There you should see a little box that has the receiver in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts