IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to bolt roof rails from say a standard WRX to our STI's? I have Thule Racks that adpated to my former ride, a 2002 Impreza. I could buy the Thule pads that attach to the door frame, however the rubber spacers that rest on the paint tend to ruin the paint over time.

Also, not sure where to pick up roof rails, doesn't seem to be a popular Suby dealer part, only the racks themselves.

Does anyone else have a rack on their ride? If so, could you post pics.

Please help, I'm jonesin' to go Mt. Biking.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yukonart has some kind of rack, but it doesn't look like it's bolted on.... something that hooks on the edges of the doors, it appers to be.

·
Registered
575 Posts
STi Internals?

yeah that is the universal style roof racks that have rubber feet that sit on the metal and clip onto the window trim. I think he was refering to getting the WRX wagon roof rails on a STi, or? correct me if i am wrong :)

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Good call. :p

I've got the Thule rack system with the 400 Aero Foot Pack and the 206 Fit Kit. A pair of load bars, lock kit, and whatever attachment you want on top, and you're all set.

DO NOT try and fit a cargo box up there, though. The load bars need at least 23" of spacing, and the WRX sedans allow for only 18". On that note, know anyone who'd like to buy a BRAND NEW Thule Evolution 1600 cargo box? :cry:

Yeah. . I plan to take off the rack every other week to wash under the pads, and also wash the pads, themselves. The whole rack will be off for the year come next month, anyway. :)

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
The wagon roof rails will most likely NOT fit. The contour of the roof is WAY different on our cars.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A draw-tite or OEM receiver hitch and bike rack (I am using a Bauer XE Evolution bike rack with a ski/snowboard attachment) works pretty good. No drilling required to install the receiver hitch.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yukonart said:
<snip> I've got the Thule rack system with the 400 Aero Foot Pack and the 206 Fit Kit. A pair of load bars, lock kit, and whatever attachment you want on top, and you're all set.
What made you decide on the Thule rather than the Yakima system?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pricewatch/grabber for car parts?

drewster said:
Yukonart said:
<snip> I've got the Thule rack system with the 400 Aero Foot Pack and the 206 Fit Kit. A pair of load bars, lock kit, and whatever attachment you want on top, and you're all set.
What made you decide on the Thule rather than the Yakima system?
Drewster: I've had the Thule system for several years, continually adding various attatchments for bikes, boards, and oh yeah, one now useless cargo box!

Bitabur: That's the setup I currently have. I'm sure there's a way to mod the Suby roof rails...will keep looking, I'm sure someone's attempted.

K2ramair: Close, but no cigar. Those are factory roof rails from a WRX Sedan, jacked up with some homemade mod...a bit too tall and unsightly for this kid. Thanx though.

I appreciate the feedback guys. I'm gonna keep searching or attempt some type of mod myself this spring.

·
Registered
603 Posts
K2ramair: Close, but no cigar. Those are factory roof rails from a WRX Sedan, jacked up with some homemade mod...a bit too tall and unsightly for this kid. Thanx though.
That is actually a kit sold in Europe (through Subaru). It is not home-made. But I agree, it is too tall for my tastes too.

-Mike-

·
Registered
399 Posts
Stimied, do you need your back seat when you go? if not you could get a seat with the pass through

·
Registered
575 Posts
CreoWRX said:
That is actually a kit sold in Europe (through Subaru). It is not home-made. But I agree, it is too tall for my tastes too.

-Mike-
is there possibly a way to chope down the towers? make it a bit shorter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stimied, do you need your back seat when you go? if not you could get a seat with the pass through
Would be nice to have a pass through, thogh I've heard that the rear seat has no pass through for structural rigidity. Still enjoy just throwing the bike on the roof...avoids dirt, grease, water, etc... in the trunk space.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I knew the pass through was useful for something other than transmitting the bass from the trunk to the cabin. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts