IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order an STi and am curious as to what factory options to purchase...

What do you suggest ? :

* Armrest ? I understand this gets in the way while shifting...
* Turbo Boost Guage ? Would you use it ?
* Security Alarm Upgrade ?

The above are "Factory" installed options vs. "Dealer" installed options.

I'm especially interested in any members that choose the factory (is it a "Dealer" option ?) stereo and speakers ... how does it sound ? any regrets or thoughts on an aftermarket stereo ? i'm thinking about just going with the factory stereo ( + 120 watt sub - woofer ? ) so that I don't have to worry about the install later...

Who actually installs the "dealer" stereo system ?

sorry for all the questions but thanks for the advice in advance !

G

·
I got mine with no options.

I would recommend the armrest as it is quite nice on daily driving and it hasn't gotten in the way for most people.

The stock boost gauge measures bars and not PSI, and they typically charge a ridiculous amount for it. i would get an aftermarket one myself.

I've heard mixed stuff about the security system, mostly bad, but it's still better than nothing I suppose.

The stock stereo is identical to the WRX one, which if you have heard it, you will know what that is like. If you appreciate music with any sort of bass, you will not want it. If you just want something that creates background noise, or like high pitched stuff like country then it will be fine, :). Of course, it's like a $1000 option and you could easily put in much better after the fact.

hope that helps

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wheel locks!!! :) they do not come with it and you don't want your BBS rims go bye bye.

Arm rest is a good option to get, only if they charge you close to $100. That's how much you can get the part for and install it yourself.

I got auto dimming mirror because there are too many morons on the road with high beams on.

I also got the security system.. not knowing all the flaws with it.. oh well.. my old car didn't even have one.. haha

Try to squeeze the dealer to toss in some WRX floor mats.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I didnt order mine and got what they had on the floor and it had, arm rest, auto dimming mirror, and boost gauge along with wheel locks and upgraded alarm.

initially i thought i wasn't going to like the extended armrest but after using it I really like it a lot.

the dimming mirror is nice for sure.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
SuperSprint

I went with:
-Armrest extention
-Autodimming mirror
-Security system upgrade
-Foglamps

(dealer providing STi floormats and wheel locks)

-I'm also having them swap out the stock brake fluid with Castrol-SRF

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got mine off the showroom floor(didn't order) and it has the auto dimming mirror(a $400 option!) which I would rather do without.

Not to flame but it doesn't react quick enough for me and once I get tinted windows it's moot anyway.

I would rather have spent the $400 towards the "gauge pack" that replaces the clock(which is $600 by the way)

For stereo definitely go aftermarket 'cause th Sooby one's about $1000

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
I told them just get me one without the boost gauge or security system. Anything else that happens to be on there I can deal with. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
For however much they charge you for the boost gauge, you can get a Defi Link thing + Defi Boost gauge for that price. Not to mention it has all those nice little features. After that, you can easily put in other gauges too ;)

The stock system isn't that bad if you get upgraded speakers and the sub. I've been in a WRX with both, mine has the upgrade, and the one without absolutely BLOWS! Armrest extension is nice, you have more room to put junk :) Auto dimming mirror/compass is a must. I love it. When I get my STi, i'm getting wheel locks, auto dimming mirror/compass, armrest extension, and stereo + upraded speakers/ sub.

:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe the Security Option

Wheel locks: Needed? Yes. Get Gorilla Locks from Discount Tire or similar for $20.
Security System: Yes. Unless you're getting an aftermarket one.
Armrest: No. Gets in the way of shifting.
Autodim Mirror: No. It's easy enough to flip that little mirror up and back.
Carbon Fiber Trim: No. I'm not sure if it's an option, but the STi's interior is good without.
Turbo Gauge: No. Ugly and blocks view of fuel gauge.
Stereo: No. Go aftermarket. More choice, more personalized.
Plastic Bags on Struts: This option is included, even if you don't request it. Oh well. :eek:

TerraJumper

·
Registered
97 Posts
AussieBorn said:
I got mine off the showroom floor(didn't order) and it has the auto dimming mirror(a $400 option!) which I would rather do without.

Not to flame but it doesn't react quick enough for me and once I get tinted windows it's moot anyway.

I would rather have spent the $400 towards the "gauge pack" that replaces the clock(which is $600 by the way)

For stereo definitely go aftermarket 'cause th Sooby one's about $1000
I hate to say it but you got ripped off with the mirror. My dealer only charged $199 for it, so that's almost like free installation. There are some issues with that mirror though. It vibrates with the bass from the sub, and I still can't calibrate the compass to be accurate.

Stock boost guage is a definite NO NO.. $290 for that POS? What were they thinking???? and $600 clock??? :eek:

I wouldn't go with stock door speakers but I am using stock sub and HU, which you can get cheaply from other WRX owners.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
? ? Problems with the Sti Engine ? ?

i did'nt get to choose options, or the color for that matter. i inquired with two subaru dealers back in May about the STi, about a month before they were scheduled to recieve any STi's. one dealer actually had no idea what i was talking about!! so anyway, i have the mirror/compass, the boost gauge, wheel locks and the armrest extension. they were the options on the first STi the subaru dealer got in. i had originally wanted no options but at the time it was if you want one take what we have. i'm glad i decided to get my STi so early in the year. waiting lists and dealer mark-up? i missed out on all that fun. i personally have'nt had any problems with the armrest extension getting in the was while shifting. i actually like it, i have it full of junk already. the boost guage? wish it was'nt there. i'm not complaining though, they are in an STi.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I love my auto-dimming mirror. I have the armrest extension and would never have a car without one again. The boost guage is more of a curiosity toy (but I got one anyway :) )

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Best bolt-on BOV

If possibly, I'd opt for: auto-dimming mirror/compass; armrest; maybe the gauge pack; NOT the boost gauge; maybe the heavy duty floormats (although some people say they don't fit well?); NOT the head unit or speakers, but possibly just the sub/amp (not sure if this is possible); NOT the security system (go aftermarket); and NOT the wheel locks (go aftermarket).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good driving school?

thanks for all the insight from your experiences... this is a great source of information for me and everyone interested in the STi. keep it coming...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Washer fluid tank leak

You know what they say about opinions...well anyway here's mine:

1. Must get the wheel locks!!
2. Armrest extension never gets in the way and holds lots of stuff. Must get this!
3. Factory boost gauge - yes it blocks the view where the dealer installed originally, but luckily they mis-drilled the first hole and had to order me a new steering wheel cover plate. So I had them re-mount it offset so I can easily see all gauges. Yes it reads in MPa, but deal with it - the math isn't that tough, and really you're just looking for relative needle movement anyway. I'm happy with it - dealer installed was much easier than me digging in and trying to install an aftermarket one that read in 'psi'.
4. No stereo......and still, I have no stereo. Listen to the turbo.
5. I wanted carbon fiber trim, but the dealer said it wasn't available (clueless!!) I may still get that, but for now the $$$ are going towards snow wheels and tires....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts