IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still can't find the answer to this question. I think I'd like the factory-installed boost gauge but I'm not sure I like the location, blocking the outside temp and all. Maybe center mounted would be better. Anyone know how it is attached, and can it be pulled off and relocated? Also, if I just buy an aftermarket gauge, can I just unplug the original and plug in the new one or does it need to be fully installed? Thanks in advance.

--AEM

·
Registered
199 Posts
mounting the single boost gauge requires drillign a hole in the upper steering column cover. so you could put it anywhere you want. the problem with putting it in the middle is that it will block the tach.

the pod is attached with a nut, so you have to take the steering coulmn apart to relocate it.

not sure about adding an aftermarker one.

imho you're probably better off not getting the subaru one, and then finding one in the aftermarket. the subaru gauge doesn't look very good, it obstructs the gauge cluster, and it's expensive. you can do better for less money.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
lines

Gee, for $30k+ it should be standard in the instrument cluster. Even the little turbo FIATs had it. What is Subaru thinking?!?!?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I have always heard factory boost guages are not very accurate. Unless you modify the car there is really no need for it. They put enough in there to make sure it does not boost past a certain point. Even my Supra did not have one stock, nor did some of the other late great Japanese sports cars.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My friends 300zx TT has a factory boost gauge he put an aftermarket one in and the difference was amazing the factory one isnt even close. I'd go with aftermarket all the way that way it's exact and where you want it and the one you like best. 8)

·
Registered
858 Posts
NO!!!!! DONT SPEND THE $250+ FOR THAT P.O.S. FACTORY BOOST GAUGE!!!!!!!!!!

1. mega pascal?!? WTF????

2. blocks outside temp gauge. look, if subaru has the smarts to include a frigging outside temp gauge, why couldnt they be smart enough to include a friggin boost gauge on a car with a turbo?!? :roll: it's like an afterthought...

3. $250 for a POS gauge with a GREEN (!!!) backlight... jeez... was someone color blind at subaru???

need i continue?

·
Registered
104 Posts
6.5 in the rear deck??

I must admit, I got the factory gauge and I agree with the above. Its not worth it, it doesn't match, and most of all I have no Idea what its telling me

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'll third this. I was forced to get the factory boost gauge, and like I suspected, it is really in a bad place, isn't terribly readable, and is way overpriced. I plan to have the dealer take it out -- it'll sit in a drawer somewhere for years. Get a PSI3 for $500, install is a piece of cake, and you'll have boost, coolant, battery voltage, rpm, speed, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts