IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some other opinions...

I got the "letter" from Subaru telling me I could buy the extended warranty for my STi.

6 yrs x 60,000 mi $550.00
6 yrs x 80,000 mi $1,070.00
6 yrs x 100,000 mi $1,500.00

I owned a WRX before this and didn't have any problems in 2 years. I owned a Subaru Loyale a while back and didn't have any problems with it.

The longest I have had any previous car was 2 years, but I think I might actually keep the STi for a while...

I put 20K mi on a car in a year, so I am seriously considering the 100K option. I know Subaru builds great cars but I also know I drive pretty aggressively...

Intellectually, I say Subaru is allowing me to pay them for warranty work they will never do, but then I think about the nice shiny turbo and the air being stuffed every day in those cylinders... Plus the fact that it is the first model year and I get a little antsy in the pantsy.

What do others think? Did anyone else buy an extended warranty? Think it's a rip?

·
Registered
154 Posts
How long are you financing? Are you going to mod? How many miles do you drive a year? If you are not modding and drive lots of miles, the warranty is nice insurance. If the car will be modded and raced, might as well save the money for upgraded parts. I like to keep my cars under warranty at least as long as the finance period. I would hate to shell out major repair money while I'm still making monthlies...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
A failing turbo is just an opportunity to stuff in a bigger one.

If you ever plan on modding, don't get it.

If not, consider it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm in California and we have something called Mechanical Breakdown Insurance.

I'm curious to know if anyone knows about this, has had experience with it, or knows how it works.

If you do, I'd like to know. It seems as if it's a better option than the manufacturer warranty and more cost effective with better coverage.

Instead of stating what's INCLUDED under warranty, MBI's state what's NOT included in the warranty and everything else is supported.

I found a site that sells it and has some info: http://www.warrantydirect.com/warrantydirect/california.asp#Our

Thanks in advance.

Steve

·
Registered
668 Posts
i got a 4 year just b/c of all the extras you get like road side assistence, free maintenance for 2 years, plus a booklet of coupons at the dealer for free oil changes and parts/services discounts... but 4 years is pretty long... anything longer would be complete waste as i'll be modding it by then.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have never bought extended warranty since day one. I believe in the car and that is why I don't need extended warranty. With extended warranty, you still have to pay for tune up and all that. If the car keeps breaking after the standard warranty period, I just get rid of it and get something else. In a nutshell, I trust Subaru.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts