IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain these concepts in layman's terms??

I know there are a lot of experienced drivers/racers/ralliers out there.

I have been to driving school, but I never took the more advanced techniques.

I saw in the general forum something about matching revs and heel-and-toe. Some people have tried to explain it to me, and I am still confused (probably more now than when I started).

HELP!!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - these articles are great!

I guess it's worth looking into practicing this a bit...

What I currently tend to do in normal and even slightly aggressive street driving, is get all the braking and gear selection done before I get to the turn-in of a corner.

Then I'll approach the apex either while coasting in gear or applying light power at first and finally I will gradually increase power as I get towards track-out.

These techniques are probably best left for the track - of course I still try to SAFELY practice my chops on the street.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I looked at this topic.

As Butt-Head might say, "I have seen the revs match, and it is cool."

I have done a little practicing, and though I am nowhere near being able to do this "on command" or whatever, you do quickly realize when you've done it correctly.

I tried it first a couple times when I was by myself on the road... then tried it in more challenging locations.

Still haven't got the stones to really try it in a turn - the couple of times I did I got a little scared :eek: (unusual for me...)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
It really just takes getting used to. Do it all the time on the street, and the pressure of needing to do it in a race isn't so bad.

Of course....there is heel-toeing with just rev match, and then heel-toeing with double clutching. Now that gets fun!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nice articles. I actually was going to suggest one, then found it is the same article as the happytogether link. If you want to read it without the funky fonts however: http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/essentials/fixit/heeltoe/shifting.htm.

At the moment, I am just doing revmatching. In my Miata that means a slight pause when upshifting to give the engine time to drop, and timing the blip for minimum time taken when downwhifting and not braking. But I'm kind of stuck not being able to do heel and toe consistently (not that I practice much, and at the autocross I'm way too busy and on the traction/timing edge to be trying it out).

It did finally dawn on me why I might be having problems. I wear size 13 AA shoes. My feel are _narrow_ to the point where I literally cannot wear anything made by Nike, for example -- they insist that anyone with length 13 must have at least a D width. New Balance is about it. I imagine I will have problems fitting racing shoes as well since Sparco and Simpson don't have different widths -- only lengths. If they're like most shoes, that means length 13 is most likely a E width and I'd be swimming in them. Anyway, trying to get my foot solidly on the brake and gas pedal is quite dificult due to very little width. The length 13 might be making it awkward to do sideways.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. I guess I could try the double-clutching when I'm short-shifting... I do that every once in a while.

The matching revs is clear - I know how to do that but need to practice a lot more.

Like everything else, I can understand the concepts quite clearly. But it takes a long time to get my brain to properly get the message to my hands and feet... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts