IW STi Forum banner

Experiences with hood dampers?

Exterior 
3K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  KarlSTI 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for experiences with hood dampers. What brand do you have? Do they rust? Any problems? How long have you had them? Install go easy? Any drilling or other destructive installation requirements? Can you tell if all of the parts are stainless, aluminum or magnesium (IE stuff that does not rust)? Hood angle different? Any extra niceties like rubber mounts etc?

• TEIN ones I have heard rust. MSRP is $145 and come in a clashing green color.
  • Redlines have powder coated zinc plated steel brackets and run $110ish for the Elite (less rust prone versions). I have heard they require some drilling and have had rust problems.
  • WORX tuning hydralift seem to have a more solid bracket (double bolt) and rubber bushing body mount. $140ish.
  • NRG seem to have addressed a rust issue with some chemical treatment as of March of this year. They seem to run $93ish.
  • Godspeed seems to have a nice price. $85 (less on ebay).
  • Vision Hood Damper does not have much in the way of description and run $140ish.
  • Endura Tech seem to be no longer available. But may be avail HERE for $169 ouch. Double bolt aluminum bracket per picture and descrption but Instructions show single bolt and weather strip cutting.
  • DIY ones from McMaster.com gas springs extended length 15.63" compressed 9.33" force 30lbs part# 9416k17 $11.39 for steel and 4175t7 $56.95 for stainless (way to expensive considering you need to make a bracket and get ball joints).
I am thinking of getting rid of my relic hood kickstand on my 04 STi.

I don't care about chrome or CF just function and weather resistance.

Thanks
Scott

See less See more
#2 ·
i have also been looking to get some and have seen that the install is super easy with no drilling what so ever in fact there is a video of the install on hspn.com,from friends experience the tein hood dampners stand up good to bad weather and also the newer nrg ones with stainless parts the other ones i dont know i am going to get the tein ones possibly this week since jscspeed.com said they would give them to me for 109.00 shipped:D good luck.

#9 ·
I have the tein...
LOVE them! Didn't pay 145 either... look around there are ALWAYS GB or sales in the classfieds.
As far as rusting.. Mine are not,.. I also take a cloth rag and wipe them down if they do get wet so that might have something to do with them not rusting?
I've had mine for 6 months now, install was cake, and zero problems so far!

Plus they are green so it adds some color into the already busy engine bay of my car, cusco blue radaitor plate, red intake manifold, blue cusco strut bar, blue grounding wires..etc

I like them and would recommend them.

-Nigel

#11 ·
I have the WorxTuning and they are nice. The larger bracket really is a nice touch and so far no rust.

#12 ·
the newer NRG ones are not coated with anything....instead, i had them make the hardware out of stainless steel....that way, you wont have to worry about the coating flaking off or anything like that....and yes the damper bodies are already stainless steel and they are also available in carbon fiber....none of the NRG hood damper kits require any drilling and are 100% reversible...

#20 ·
Ok I posted this elsewhere with little response...

does it matter which side the main body goes? I see most people install them with main body closer to hood with hood opened... and others (like me and Gimmick) installed them with the body closer to the fender/engine bay with the hood open.

I thought that intuitively, you want the main body still and the rod to move with the hood... as opposed to the main body moving as the hood opens.

#23 ·
AnorexicSTI said:
Ok I posted this elsewhere with little response...

does it matter which side the main body goes? I see most people install them with main body closer to hood with hood opened... and others (like me and Gimmick) installed them with the body closer to the fender/engine bay with the hood open.

I thought that intuitively, you want the main body still and the rod to move with the hood... as opposed to the main body moving as the hood opens.
Not sure that it matters....I just followed the instructions on my Teins which showed the body closer to the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.