IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I'm going to try and make this as short as possible!

I have an '05 sti with mods that you can see from my sig. Recently the pistons and rings were replaced under warranty after I had noticed my oil being miserably low and smoking coming form the oil filler tube. That was replaced, I broke the motor in, and had the ecu (ecutek) reflashed for my move from Colorado to Missouri (elevation, etc). I haven't been racing the car or beating on it mind you.. So I'm in MO and everything is fine. All of a sudden the car is leaking boost. I go to the dealership and they say some of the piping was loose.. i.e. (what i noticed) was the line from the turbo to the tmic. i have them take care of it (i would have myself but since i just had warranty work i want it all documented and done by a subie dealership). The car is again running like a champ.. Ok so last week the problem started again - my car isn't boosting and this time it's blowing some serious smoke! This time I'm almost positive that the car is leaking from the tubing from the tmic that connects at the throttle body. i take it in and they tighten it, do an oil change, and replace my radio (jammed cd player). I had explained the smoking this time and when i pick the car up they tell me it's because of my catless exhaust and that my car is running excessively rich b/c of that :shock: are you kidding me?! it's never done that before plus i have ecutek (i also have an aem uego but it doesn't have power run to it - it will tomorrow). i am worried that i may have a piston ring problem again or blown turbo. the car seems to boost alright but when i tap the gas or get under full boost at WOT it smokes so it may not be the turbo.. A couple things I'm worried about: the tech said that he smelled a lot of gas in the oil which they (dealership) attribute to my exhaust.. However do you think this could be due to a bad pvc? it probably wasn't replaced when they overhauled my motor, so?? i have yet to get a catch can which i guess is something i'll get to see if it fills up quick to determine if it's the motor or what..

What do you guys think i should do in the meantime? what and how should i check to try and determine the problem? My oil consumption has been "regular" so far.. What should I do and how should I present it to the dealer? FWIW i think that i'll be taking the car to St. Louis or KCMO to a bigger dealership that has more "specialized" techs for workin on my car.. The people at this dealership in Columbia, MO (no offense but whatever) are IDIOTS!

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys and gals.. I'm really on my last string here with my STi.. I'm also going to be taking it up to GRD in Naperville IL to get a retune but I'd like to solve this problem as I don't think it's b/c of my car just "running rich." ;)

Thanks, Jake.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The Sti does not have a PCV valve. No modern turbocharged Subaru's do.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
smurfm3 said:
The dealership doesn't care about your TBE, intake, BOV, fuel pump, or tune? You're pretty lucky...

1. they don't know about my tune or fuel pump
2. i have stock bpv
3. they sell performance intakes and exhausts why should they care about mine?! ;)

i'm going to clean out the tmic and check/ clean the down pipe tomorrow and i'll post what i find.. the car has stopped spewing a lot of smoke but still does slightly.. when i come to a stop i can smell nasty oil smells in the cabin so it could be the turbo - however it still seems to hit boost..

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
ye how do they not care about ur mods ur one lucky cookie.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Do a compression test on the cylnders. If your new rings aren't seated you won't get consistent numbers. When you take it to the larger dealer put the stock dp back on. I knew someone that had a blown turbo. It developed a crack between the wastegate port and the turbine outlet. The car wouldn't boost past 9-10psi and would also puff smoke. It is possible that the turbo may be leaking oil and burning it, but I think it would be an extreme amount of smoke. My old chevy had a bad oil ring and would smoke bad but usually only when I let off the gas and built a lot of vacuum in the manifold.
If it was me I'd swap my ecu for a untouched one and have that on for the dealership visit. Afterwards you can pick up an accesport and flash it back to stock whenever you want.
Did you break in the new rings on a ecutek tune?
Did you run mineral oil or synthetic?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
solbergfan said:
The Sti does not have a PCV valve. No modern turbocharged Subaru's do.
:confused: Since I've replaced mine twice, I have to disagree. The PCV valve is what keeps boost out of the crankcase and is an essential part of the stock crankcase ventilation set-up.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
dubrexer said:
2. i have stock bpv
3. they sell performance intakes and exhausts why should they care about mine?! ;)

i'm going to clean out the tmic and check/ clean the down pipe tomorrow and i'll post what i find.. the car has stopped spewing a lot of smoke but still does slightly.. when i come to a stop i can smell nasty oil smells in the cabin so it could be the turbo - however it still seems to hit boost..

they sell performance intakes and exhausts because they make money on that stuff, and most dealerships will go out of their way to deny you warranty due to some aftermarket parts that were installed on the car. Because hey, someone is taking their business

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
neal0124 said:
If it was me I'd swap my ecu for a untouched one and have that on for the dealership visit. Afterwards you can pick up an accesport and flash it back to stock whenever you want.
Did you break in the new rings on a ecutek tune?
Did you run mineral oil or synthetic?
I've had a few warranty issues that have developed for what ever reasons and I have never had a problem at BURT Subaru in Denver, CO. however now I am out in Missouri so who knows what will happen. However, I don't think that I'll be swapping ecu's I don't think they'll check it since it's never been an issue yet, but who knows right?
I don't even know if I've broken rings yet.. My oil consumption seems ok so far and: 1. I still need to pull off my TMIC and clean it out and see if I stop smoking. Because I only smoke when I start up and when I tap the gas and start going from a stop.. I also need to pull the D/P because I'm sure it's oil soaked and that could be an issue too. My ecutek tune is pretty conservative and I would never imagine (I've talked to my tuner recently) that the tune would cause these problems! 2. As far as motor oil is concerned I run Mobil 1 10/30 and 5/30 seasonally.

Flycaster said:
:confused: Since I've replaced mine twice, I have to disagree. The PCV valve is what keeps boost out of the crankcase and is an essential part of the stock crankcase ventilation set-up.
uhm.. +1! of course our cars have PCV's! We are in America.. and I do know a clogged up PCV can cause cars to blow oily like smoke!

scubadiver424 said:
they sell performance intakes and exhausts because they make money on that stuff, and most dealerships will go out of their way to deny you warranty due to some aftermarket parts that were installed on the car. Because hey, someone is taking their business
There are certain things that a dealership or should I say manufacturer can do to "legally" deny a warranty. With my car the only thing would be the changing of timing and fuel parameters, however they cannot void my warranty legally and without serious reprocussions because of my current mods. If I have a blown turbo; they better fix it/ replace it! There were NO questions asked about my mods when I had to get my pistons and rings replaced, and now I am not lucky.. That's what SOA had to do to fulfill its legal requirement based upon taking care of the customer and their product, as well as FTC legally requiring manufacturer's to warranty a product on most cases (obviously there are things you can do to void a warranty!). http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2669.html -- check that web site out if you want some detailed information about it!

·
Registered
138 Posts
"They sell..."

dubrexer said:
2. i have stock bpv

What kind of performance intakes and exhausts? If you're talking SPT, there is no catless exhaust offered with an SPT logo that I know of. Like was said here, you are lucky, unless you put the stock stuff back on before they replaced the pistons and rings. Speaking of which - how can Subaru stay afloat if they are replacing internal engine components on a car 1 year old +/-

:confused:

·
Registered
474 Posts
What ever you do don't take your car to Dean Team in STL. they have the worst service dep. in MO. BTW good luck with your problem.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Flycaster said:
What's the part #, because I have the Subaru EPC, and can find no pcv valve on the STi or WRX. Only the 2.5RS.

·
Registered
335 Posts
solbergfan said:
What's the part #, because I have the Subaru EPC, and can find no pcv valve on the STi or WRX. Only the 2.5RS.
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...5&make=32&model=Impreza&year=2005&catalogid=1

I dont have the part number but I found it here ^. If you have the service manual its on page IN-3 as part of the intake duct. You can find it in front of the turbo, Its gray and has an electrical connection going to it.

P.S. It will work with or without a turbo. It's plumbed between the crank case and the intake duct.(that can be in front of the turbo on a turbo car or in front of the throttle body on a NA car)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Flycaster said:
I disagree as well. I have my PCV replaced while getting a protune because it was leaking and I could only hit 14psi with it leaking, not the 19psi we had set as the target

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
C-Nears said:
I disagree as well. I have my PCV replaced while getting a protune because it was leaking and I could only hit 14psi with it leaking, not the 19psi we had set as the target
All it is is a simple ball actuated check-valve. Under decel vacuum, it allows the front crankcase breather to dump right in front of the throttle body, and under boost it closes off (or should), forcing the crankcase pressure to vent into the pre-turbo intake along with the pressure coming out the head breather.

If they get gummed up, you will loose boost. Lots of guys with big turbos simply take it out, seal the hole into the throttle plate, and vent that crankcase breather to the atmosphere via a catch can. It's not very "green", but you do dump pressure effectively.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ninjaboy76 said:
Hey man I see you posted something. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Hey Jason I tried calling the number you gave me but I guess I put it into my phone incorrectly, because it got some chics voice mail. :lol:
However, I was going to give you a call none the less. I'm starting to think it's turbo or at least I'm hoping that it is. It smells in the cabin (that good ol' oily smell) when I come to a stop or am sitting.. The car only smokes when I start going from an idle, obviously though I am not sure if it smokes while driving, because I sure can't tell.
Here soon I'll be able to check oil consumption since I just changed to oil, and I confirmed with a couple different friends and their cars all blow smoke from the oil filler tube so I'm hoping that's not a sign of ring damage..
I still think it's funny that the dealership thinks that smoke is from my car running "excessively" rich because of my exhaust which low and behold just starting this running rich now despite having it on the car for about a year now! Secondly to that I would highly doubt I'm running too rich because the smoke that's coming out smells like oil not fuel and as for the "technician" (if you want to call him that :notsure:) saying that I'm running rich because he smelled fuel in my old oil - could that be to a bad PCV?
Other then that I still haven't found time between work and school to get any thing done; as far as pulling the tmic and cleaning it out and seeing if that works or if I should pull the d/p to clean it and check the turbo..

We'll see, but one way or another I'll give you a holler here soon.
Later,
Jake.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, I took my car to the dealership today..
Interesting to note that I have been doing my oil changes at the dealer since my recent problems with my motor, so I could have everything documented for SOA. So I checked my oil today after I had topped it off (after 300 miles from my oil change I was well over a quart low) a quart and it's still have on the dipstick. Further to make me upset with the dealership in town; the service desk had recommended a tech there who had the "most experience" with sti's and high performance subies.. heh yea right. So after checking my oil today I look and see that they didn't even give me courtey's, i.e.: topping off my windshield washer fluid, my coolant overflow was almost empty, and my tire pressure was whack.
So, I went in and complained about that, and they obliged in fixing that issue. However, the service manager was out of town on vacation so I spoke with the acting manager. I told him that the technician (if you want to call him that) said the reason why my car is smoking so much is because of my exhaust causing my car to run excessively rich. Well today I went in and said there's no way my car is running rich and the smoke is from oil blowby.. The acting service manager agreed completely with me stating that they have some modded rex's come in and a few sti's and they don't have the same problem! He said it's most likely my motor and that he would get on the horn with SOA today and tell them the problem and that tomorrow I should bring down my car and leave it with them so they can file a claim with SOA and do something or another - which I'm not sure why they need the car. I had explicity told the acting service manager that no matter what I will not have work done at the dealership ever again because I simply can't trust their lack of inexperience with subaru's and I want to deal with people that can get the job done and done right considering that I've already gone through this same problem and supposedly it was fixed but however, obviously has not been.
I also instructed them to run whatever tests and get SOA down to look at the car to warranty the problem and once it has been approved to be fixed (out of SOA's pockets) that I would take the car to Lou Fusz in STL to have the work done by the most experienced technician there.

Good Grief! Either way just informing everyone and also recommending you do not go to that Chrysler dealership that sells subaru and "acts" as though they know anything about our turboed cars.. :mumum:
Hopefully SOA takes care of it, otherwise I will be speaking with the family lawyer.. Either or fixed or not I don't think I'll be keeping the car.. :( we'll see but anyhow that's all I have for now..

Jake.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts