IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, well i have the fire extinguisher out but here it goes.. I have been talking to a few people and different shops and the shops are all trying to sell me something different!!!
THis is what i have, to be installed!
FPRED
815cc injectors
walboro 255lph fuel pump
3 in inlet tube
big maf
xs engineering fmic
recirc bov
perrin crank pulley
borla header
3 in exhaust
helix big mouth down pipe
supporting clutch
UTEC w/map selector
alky injection kit

Ok, this is my question! Im using my spare solenoid to run the alky setup! and i am going to be running about four diff maps..
1 fuel mileage
1 aggressive on pump gas
1 alky and pump gas mild
1 balls to the wall gas and alky

on all of these my boost is going to be different im sure so i need to know will the utec do good enough to control the changes? i have heard about limitations of the stock EBCS? is this going to be a problem? do i need a boost controller for changing the pressure?

Like i said i have called shops and heard that i do and that i dont.. and was told i need to buy a new bov even though turbo xs bov can hold 35 psi? i appreciate any and all help i can get with this!!

·
A.X.D.
5,115 Posts
perrin EBCS is a good choice - ECU controlled so your tuner can have the boost levels set on your ECU for you. :tup:

there are other boost controllers as well, as more members chime in you will see what more is available to you. ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info man, i actually sold a perrin EBCS about a 3months ago because i needed the money! but like i said any experiences or info is greatly appreciated, this is all i need before the huge install and protune!

·
A.X.D.
5,115 Posts
i have one and it works great - your tuner might want to go with the quick response rather than the stock (slow) response for the setting of the EBCS. you may want to get in contact with your tuner before installing it as this will save you the headache of removing the EBCS and changing the setup at your tune! ;)

good luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i am planning on taking it to topspeed! i want doug to tune it but talked to tray when i called and he told me that i needed to get a boost controller either an electronic or manual. but said i would have to go out under the hood everytime i change my map! unless i got an electronic boost controller, than i could do it inside. but i thought having the utec i wouldnt have to mess with a boost controller..

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'm biased... but just go ahead and buy an electronic boost controller. You're spending a lot of money already, don't cut your results short by going with a MBC or the factory BCS.

I went with an apexi avc-r on my gt35r setup and couldn't be happier. I can switch between two different boost maps, or turn it off and run wastegate boost, easily while driving. Not to mention that boost holds rock solid and it hits target boost in every gear.

I assume you're running the FP Red with an internal wastegate and not an external?

Oh and I agree that you will probably need a new BOV. Tial and HKS are both proven with big-turbo setups.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was actually looking at the apexi avc-r, yea i am initially running an internally gated system but will switch to external probably next spring! i appreciate all the advice i have gotten from you guys!

·
Registered
323 Posts
the stock map sensor can only read 22.635psi, so at least have a gauge for tuning... doesn't affect fuelling, you WILL need a upgraded solenoid though

·
A.X.D.
5,115 Posts
jays05 said:
Oh and I agree that you will probably need a new BOV. Tial and HKS are both proven with big-turbo setups.
just wanted to let you know about another BPV/BOV hybrid that i went with... GFB WRX Hybrid. dumps in 50% and vents 50% with the option to dump 100% to atmosphere or 100% recirculating (like the stock BPV).

nice piece! :tup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
^I use the GFB hybrid on my car too and it works well, no boost leaks and i have run as high as 24psi.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Majin said:
:)

i know it holds very well - 26 psi FTW! :devil: :lol:
I notice there is a GFB stealth and hybrid, is one better than the other? after reading the site, it looks like all GFB bovs can hold any pressure!

·
A.X.D.
5,115 Posts
not sure i would say one is better than the other... now as for preference, that's up to you! :)

their site explains the differences...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Majin said:
not sure i would say one is better than the other... now as for preference, that's up to you! :)

their site explains the differences...
ok, i noticed the only difference pretty much is the "volume " control everything else seems to be the same!! i just picked one up from a guy on nasioc for $165.00 !!! thanks guys

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
apexi avc-r my friend...forget the ebcs...with a setup like yours, get something much more involved with the tuning such as the avc-r or even the txs dtec.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If you don't have the cash for a EBC a MBC will work fine for a bit, you just have to pop your hood everytime you change maps which is kinda annoying but it's worth it if you don't have ~500 to spend. I use a Halman and it holds boost consistantly, even between hot and cold weather it will only vary like 1psi.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts