IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post people!!!!!!

Anyways back to the point

Does the HKS carbon ti and hks downpipe put out as much power to the wheels as the turbo xs turbo back? On turboxs website they say it puts out a nice amount of power. Also is it sti specific???

I did a search and i read that wrx parts fit the sti but i jus wanted to know if they get the same power output.

This is probably the worst 1st post any1s ever seen but i would like some answers...thanx

·
Registered
365 Posts
Re: What to buy and how to install...

I don't know if this will help, but the worldoneperformance.com gained 27.8 whp (wheel horse power) by installing the turbo xs turbo back exhaust on their STi. I would think the HKS carbon ti and hks downpipe would produce about the same kind of power.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
GinRumAnd151 said:
1st post people!!!!!!

Anyways back to the point

Does the HKS carbon ti and hks downpipe put out as much power to the wheels as the turbo xs turbo back? On turboxs website they say it puts out a nice amount of power. Also is it sti specific???

I did a search and i read that wrx parts fit the sti but i jus wanted to know if they get the same power output.

This is probably the worst 1st post any1s ever seen but i would like some answers...thanx
Make sure you do some research. TBE have been causing issues such as boost creep and spikes. Look here and NASIOC. It's not really a plug and play modification if you ask me.

-st

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Thorn said:
bryanMTL said:
agreed.

Especially if you live somewhere with colder temps approaching.

I'm experiencing crazy boost creep with mine.
I apologize if this was discussed on another forum, and I'm new to turbo engines. What is boost creep?
Boost creep basically means that you are trying to get x amount of boost but you gradually creep over x because the wastegate can't dump enough exhaust. The exhaust that can't go through the wastegate, goes through the turbine, spinning up the compressor, and forcing more boost into the engine.

From what I'm told, it isn't that the wastegate is too small on the IHI turbo, rather that when you increase the velocity of the exhaust (such as with a turbo-back exhaust), the wastegate becomes the less preferable path out. As a result, the turbine sees more exhaust, and you end up with boost creep. Supposedly, some have been able to get it to level out at 17PSI or so with a manual boost controller. But that is still off from the stock 14.5 PSI, not to mention that it could be outside the efficiency range for the IHI VF39 (Stock turbo). Nobody really knows since the efficiency maps aren't public.

Some things to search for in google:

"boost creep"
"efficiency map"
impeller turbine wastegate
"manual boost controller" or "mbc"
"electronic boost controller" or "ebc"

That should give you some idea of what is going on. If you really want to learn a lot, you could check out Maximum Boost by Corky Bell.

-st

1 - 8 of 8 Posts