IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i got pulled over the other day for my woderful Invidia N1 exhaust which is ever so quiet :lol: The cop told me that it was illegal to modify your exhaust at all. I cooperated (for the time being) and took my ticket. So i was curious to if this statement was correct. When i go home i looked up the CA law on exhausts. I found out that with the cooperation of S.E.M.A., the state of CA is allowing people to modify you exhaust as long as it is less the 95 Db at a foot (i believe) away from the canister. Well, the cop didnt measure how loud my exhaust is so i think i am going to fight the ticket via Trial by Written Declaration (mail) and state that he didnt measure how loud my exhaust was.

A. wish me luck
B. WHY ARE COPS TELLING ME IT IS ILLEGAL TO MODIFY MY EXHAUST ALL THE TIME!?

p.s. i am in the process of fighting a fix it ticket for tint as well haha (THE COP DIDNT EVEN ASK ME TO ROLL MY WINDOWS UP, AND THE FRONT ONES WERE DOWN WHEN HE PULLED ME OVER!
WTF!)

p.p.s. I made a post quite some time ago about a speeding ticket i got where the cop pulled my friend over (2.5 rs) on the freeway and i got off the freeway and then the cop got off 2 minutes later to give my freind the ticket, saw me and gave me the same speeding ticket as her. well i fought that (written declaration) and won!

people with tickets....

www.ticketassassin.com FTW

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
A. goodluck, u're ganna need it
B. b/c above certain level its not allowed, but i still have it;)

·
/////////
8,448 Posts
A. Good luck with that LoL
B. WHY ARE COPS TELLING ME IT IS ILLEGAL TO MODIFY MY EXHAUST ALL THE TIME!? - Because it is.

My N1 is not loud at all :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
insane06sti: but its not illegal. they say its illegal to change it from stock at all

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
Insane06STi said:
A. Good luck with that LoL
B. WHY ARE COPS TELLING ME IT IS ILLEGAL TO MODIFY MY EXHAUST ALL THE TIME!? - Because it is.

My N1 is not loud at all :)
right jet, that n1 is obnoxious:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
just pay the ticket not even worth going to court, i have like 28 non moving violations for tint,exuast,front plate.I get one about every month. just think of it as a tax for having somthing nice.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
why don't you just go to the ref and have them test your exhaust if you're so confident it's not loud? they'll issue you a sticker (or some sort of doc) saying your exhaust is legal (if it really is below 95dB).

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im not going to be going to court...i will be mailing in my story, the judge will compare it to the officers (more then half the time they dont submit one, and you win) story and make a decision. According to Ticketassassin.com, to show up in court an officer gets ~$200 to show up in court, they get $0.00 to write in their story. i paid the fee already...if i win, i get my money back, if i loose, i dont...why not try

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
Insane06STi said:
:lol: Geezz, How many times do I have to tell you ? Please speak louderrrr.
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
SD 05 STi said:
why don't you just go to the ref and have them test your exhaust if you're so confident it's not loud? they'll issue you a sticker (or some sort of doc) saying your exhaust is legal (if it really is below 95dB).
i am not at all confident lol, but the fact that he gave me a ticket for it being "modified" when a modified exhaust is legal.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Blaiser said:
i am not at all confident lol, but the fact that he gave me a ticket for it being "modified" when you a modified exhaust is legal.
ah i see...

well, best of luck to you then :tup:

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
Just go to the State Ref, get it inspected, take the paperwork to court and you should be good.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Blaiser said:
Im not going to be going to court...i will be mailing in my story, the judge will compare it to the officers (more then half the time they dont submit one, and you win) story and make a decision. According to Ticketassassin.com, to show up in court an officer gets ~$200 to show up in court, they get $0.00 to write in their story. i paid the fee already...if i win, i get my money back, if i loose, i dont...why not try
That definately seems like the way to go. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts