IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wats up guys? i just installed my eibachs yesterday, and i must say they rock!! the car feel and rides alot better and smoother but stiffer at the same time.... very good mod... anyway, we have these stupid speed bumps all over the place where i go to school, and i keep scratching my exhaust on the damn speed bumps... also where i live thre is a part in the garage that scrapes the bottom.... :x anyway, i was just wondering if this is gonna be a huge problem... there is no way i can ovoid it, i go real slow, but it always scrapes a little no matter what. I have a TXS exhaust, so im real worried about messin it up... anybody got any advice or input? thanks alot! see ya..
Eric B.

·
Registered
411 Posts
KC AutoX Schedule

I have the same issue since I lowered my car. I was told that it was going to happen but I went ahead and did it anyway. I've scraped a couple of times and saw the minor scratches on the cat. No big deal, take it slow and on a angle for those driveways with a bump. However I don't have any advise for speed bumps, never went over one since I lowered it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its only like a 1.5 drop.... it sux cuz, i dont just scratch it every once in a while, i scratch it at least three times a day or more... going in and out of the garage, getting to the parking at school and back.... no matter how angled or slow i go, it always scratches... i was kinda nervous that eventually it would wear a whole in the cat or something, but i doubt it... i dunno, ill see what happens... its just such a horrible sound... :cry:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by the way... just thought id mention a funny thing that happened when i installed the springs the left front and rear struts had like a girls hair band scrunch thing on them... weird... i guess its like a singnature of whoever put the car together... shrug... kinda funny... i hear of alot of stories like this...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
no scraping here with eibachs and blitz nur spec R exhaust (and i have 245/40ZR17 kuhmos) AND extralong poly urethane hangers.. no scrapes or anything.

Robert~

·
Registered
422 Posts
Those "Scrunch things" are for a little extra protection for the shocks during the boat trip over. Who ever prepped you car did a half way job. :-?

Back on topic. Catalysts are made of ceramic. Very brittle. Whacking them repeatedly can cause them to fail. An expensive proposition down the road it your area has emissions testing.

There is a potential serious performance penalty as the cat gradually break's up. I had an old Audi in collage and it had a funny little rattle in the exhaust. Not annoying enough to try and fix. Later, intermittently, accelerating form a stop the car would practically die. It took a few months to figure out what was happening. Turns out the ceramic element had come a drift and rattled itself into a sphere about the size of a baseball. When it rolled back with the honeycomb perpendicular to the flow it corked up the exhaust just like putting a potato in the pipe! It was $400 1984 dollars for a new cat. Let's just say I got rid of the rattle and the repair involved a coal chisel...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Except that emissions systems have a mandatory 7 year (it may be longer now) warranty no matter what manufacturer the car comes from, by federal regulation.....

Of course that's only with a stock exhaust.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Colored Head/Foglight Protection Blowout Sale

On a lowered car they have a reason to deny the warranty even with the stock exhaust. Mine had well over 100,000 miles when it went south...

It was a tough diagnosis. The intermittence always are. I might have been reimbursed, but would have had to front the money until it was proven that it was the cat. It was apart in my parent's driveway, so I fixed it on spring break. School was 300 miles away.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Stohlman's Subaru

so it's the cat scraping, not the muffler or something? that really sucks. don't know what to tell you... for speed bumps you might also be able to take those at an angle, or drive so only one tire goes over it... might help, but might not. I remember there's some company parking lots where they put 3 speed bumps in a row... even stock cars get owned by that!

how much of a drop are the pink sti springs?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i live in florida, so we dont have to worry about emissions etc. do u think it would help if i got a three inch pipe from txs inplace of my cat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey when you come to a speed bump just go over crookedly. I have used to have monstrous speed bumps at my school and i have a 2'' drop on my current gti. I didnt touch once going over crookedly. I did block some traffic somtimes:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts