IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i got an invidia turboback is it normal to hear all the banging going around i know i got everything in good just want to make sure the downpipe was so close to some other metal piece... invidia v3 catted downpipe+ n1 race... cna some1 let me know if that rattiling is normal? car is running good too no leaks just rattling

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
i dont think thats normal, are the bolts tightened, like dp to turbo? try changin the hanger and see if that helps

·
/////////
8,593 Posts
Hmmm, N1 does take that spring out between the DP and CB and mine did rattle the first time I installed it. Kartboy extended ( albeit overboard, get regular KB ) fixed all my problems, if it`s not the wastegate it`s the hangers.

·
Banned
8,265 Posts
If you wanna come through I can take a look at it for you. Its prob that one part where the DP connects to the car. Did you connect that one piece?

Did you bend out the stock exhaust heatshield by the end of the muffler?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LightWerkz said:
If you wanna come through I can take a look at it for you. Its prob that one part where the DP connects to the car. Did you connect that one piece?

Did you bend out the stock exhaust heatshield by the end of the muffler?
hmm i didnt bend anything could be it but im gonna get the kartboy exhaust hangers and see what happens.. if anything can i give u a call czr if it doesnt go away?

·
Banned
8,265 Posts
I wouldnt get the extra long ones...they drop the exhaust system way too much IMHO.

Go under the car by the exhaust, all youll see a metal shield at the very end by your bumper. It *might* be touching it.

And no, its not normal to hear all the banging around.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Don't hate on extra long hangers Cz :lol:

T - look under the car, if you need just 1 extra long exhaust hanger let me know. I have an extra one lying around somehwere.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I have wastegate flutter, it doesn't sound like banging at all. Didn't someone do a write up about his Invidia downpipe hitting a subframe piece?

That could be it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've installed several invidia V3 catted and V2 catless downpipes and have never seen one hit the frame or come close to it on any 2002+ WRX or STi. If this is happening the motor is out of alignment. I've had guys install an uppipe, jack the motor up to take the stock one out, then the drop the motor back into place and the alignment becomes out of whack. If this happens the rest of your exhaust will be out of alignment as well. The trick is to pop the motor back into alignment before installing the rest of the turboback.

Now I'm not sure if this is the case as far as what's happening with this particular person's setup, but it's just something to look into. There's some heat shielding the exhaust might be banging up against, but if it's hitting the rear diff you'll know it. If the exhaust looks like there's very minimal space between the diff and the piping then a set of stiffer hangers can help solve that problem as well.

Anthony

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MauroMotorsports said:
I've installed several invidia V3 catted and V2 catless downpipes and have never seen one hit the frame or come close to it on any 2002+ WRX or STi. If this is happening the motor is out of alignment. I've had guys install an uppipe, jack the motor up to take the stock one out, then the drop the motor back into place and the alignment becomes out of whack. If this happens the rest of your exhaust will be out of alignment as well. The trick is to pop the motor back into alignment before installing the rest of the turboback.

Now I'm not sure if this is the case as far as what's happening with this particular person's setup, but it's just something to look into. There's some heat shielding the exhaust might be banging up against, but if it's hitting the rear diff you'll know it. If the exhaust looks like there's very minimal space between the diff and the piping then a set of stiffer hangers can help solve that problem as well.

Anthony
thanks for the quick responses guys...i appreciate it a ton.... i scheduled an appt down at precision for saturday so ill have them take a look at everything while im down there :tup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.