IW STi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is my dilema. I'm all about improving performance but the last thing I want is an exhaust thats louder than stock. Can I do some kind of exhaust upgrades without changing the stock muffler? Like a downpipe for example?(or will a downpipe not do anything w/o changing the rest of the exhaust)
Do most of these exhaust increase the piping diameter or is the stock exhaust diameter ideal?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Your best bet is the TurboXS "stealthback" exhaust.
It replaces everything from the turbo back with 3" stainless steel piping except it lets you still use the stock axleback.
I would definitly go catless if you're going to get this exhaust because I have not heard good things at all about thier catalytic converters.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You could do a catless or catted downpipe and get it tuned, you'll feel a difference for sure. To get full potential though you'll need to get a TBE. There are a few aftermarket catbacks that are pretty quiet even when mated up with a downpipe.

(Catback + Downpipe = Turboback)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pt518sti said:
Your best bet is the TurboXS "stealthback" exhaust.
It replaces everything from the turbo back with 3" stainless steel piping except it lets you still use the stock axleback.
I would definitly go catless if you're going to get this exhaust because I have not heard good things at all about thier catalytic converters.

So you mean just weld a straight pipe in it's place? Won't this give me problems later trying to pass emmissions? And if you guys had a choice what would you get first, an AP or the Stealth back?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
SuBart said:
So you mean just weld a straight pipe in it's place? Won't this give me problems later trying to pass emmissions? And if you guys had a choice what would you get first, an AP or the Stealth back?
You can order it with either the catted pipe or race pipe.
If you get the AP it will clear the CEL that having no cat will make pop up ;)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
SuBart said:
And what about passing emmisions?
It depends on what your state laws are.
Around here they just plug it into a computer and do the readyness test and if everything looks good you're all set.
The AP makes everything look fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts