IW STi Forum banner

Exhaust <<LOUDNESS>> Thread

Other 
161K views 189 replies 122 participants last post by  nikkinemo95 
#1 · (Edited)
if you have heard 2 or more aftermarket exhausts on the STi,
post them in here. high levels of participation will yield a good
(mostly accurate) list, in order of loudness.

NOTE: the list order from top to bottom may/may not vary much
in decibels, so don't cry if the order makes one exhaust look
louder than another one when it may not be.

LOUDEST at top

Straight Pipe
RS*R
BPM Twister II
ANSA
Buddy Club Spec III
Invidia N1 Race | Blitz nur spec R | TurboXS RFL-Ti
Helix Titanium | Apex'i GT Spec
Kakimoto Gt1.0z
Perrin Catless Twip tip TBE
JIC 505S
B&B (non-catted midpipe)
BPM (non-catted) GT
APS 3.5"
HKS Carbon TI | Skunk2
Greddy Titanium
Invidia G200
HKS Hi-Power
Injen
Crawford
Megan Racing TBE
Worx Tuning
APS 3"
Cobb 3" | Stromung | Espelir
CES
Greddy EVO 2 | Greddy SP2
SPT
Prodrive
Borla XR-1
JDM/USDM STi Genome Axleback
TurboXS (Magnaflow) Axleback
Greddy EVO
Tanabe Medallion Touring
Borla Hush
Fujitsubo Power Getter
MadDad Whisper
Fujitsubo Legalis Super-R | Fujitsubo RM01A
STOCK

Thank you to hewmanbing for starting this thread originally! :tup:

See less See more
#3 ·
this thread is obviously difficult to keep accurate as is, so if you feel the need to comment on or endorse brand "X" exhaust and contribute nothing to the list or help in making the list order more representative of loudness, keep your posts out of this thread.

also, if you are a vendor and want to talk about your exhaust in here, don't. you have your vendor threads for that.

#4 ·
#5 ·
thanks modaddict - Unabomber's spreadsheet was used in ordering this list as well, but being that most of his list belonged to tests performed on WRXs and contained FXTs in it as well, i used members opinions of exhausts they've heard as well.

unless we were to organize a huge meet where testing would be performed as per R4ND0M_AX3's post, this list will always be fluid and open to a somewhat big margin of error.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
Hey Majin, if there are vids from guyz on here with these listed exhaust can they prove vids or feedback for those of that are STill stock and tryin to decide on an exhaust?
thanx in advance!

#13 ·
in my opinion, i think the videos will not provide much use for the list order being that the sound will vary depended on too many variables (camera used, surrounding acoustics, interference noise, user's speakers, sound card/settings, etc.)

i feel that we should limit the number of variables on our list (even though personal opinions are not a good variable to stick to), just so that our list can be somewhat useful.

again, this list is far from being the "end all, be all" list of exhaust loudness, but it should give us all an idea as to what we should look for.

#19 ·
a catback straight pipe isn't that loud? Huh? I've never heard one in person, but it was always my guess that the muffler muffled, and the cat catalyzed. This way, if you took our the muffler, it would be quite loud......

#20 ·
if the car still has the cat's in it....I.E stock downpipe and a straightpipe from there....it won't be that loud. Cat's quiet the car down a significant amount. Especially if there is more than 1

#22 ·
Ive heard a lot of good things about the maddad whisper if you are looking for super quiet exhaust and in person it seems quieter than stock to me. Apex'i N1 is going to be pretty loud all the N1 style exhausts are not in the quiet category.

My question is where does Invidia's Resonated N1 fall into this thread I know its between the g200 and the N1 race but does anyone else have a more exact pinpoint or a link to a video? Thanks guys.

#23 ·
personal experience: I have literally put my car w. 3" hks carbon ti side to side with my friend who had identical upgrades (invidia downpipe, intake.. nothing else to effect sound) and he had a 3.5" APS . . . . . APS was VERY noticeably louder. veeeery much louder. just gonna toss that in there! and for the record, blizt nur spec is much louder than carbon ti also. perrin is much quieter than carbon ti. (all comparisons done in person)

#27 ·
I had the Maddad CBE with a catted DP. It was very quiet at idle but it got angry at wot. It's def quieter than any other aftermarket setup I've heard, but it was still a little too loud for me. I went stealth w/ stock sti ab. And yes I do miss it, especially the sound when downshifting. I would def recommend the maddad, it's a quality product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.