IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M3's

I have recently personally finished quite the install/overhaul on our shops WRX wagon. One of the items that was installed was a JDM 6spd transmission along with a new hypersingles 6 puck sprung clutch assembly (has light weight flywheel as well). I'm getting a fair amount of gear chatter on the decel. This is in every gear it appears. Since it is every gear I am guessing the flywheel assembly is to blame, but then again this is a used tranny.

Tranny oil is Mobile 1 75/90 syn. I'm giong to trade over to valvoline syn to see if it helps quiet it down a bit.

Has anyone else ran this clutch in their Sti?

last but not least, it is a suretrac with no dccd.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Off topic--sorry.

Stephen, both your e-mails that you gave me are bouncing and I don't know that you are getting my PM's. E-mail or PM me if you get a chance so we can figure out how I can get that order to you...

Thanks, Inferno

·
Registered
357 Posts
Umm, it's a hyper single. Tons of chatter is normal. If you want something a little smoother and with greater holding power try the new ATS carbon clutch. Available in single, twin or triple plate, they are much smoother and last a LOT longer than the 6-9 months the hyper single will last.

M

·
0 Posts
Every car with a lightented flywheel / clutch upgrade I have ever ridden in has a sound similar to that.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup, just confirmed from my friend that was doing some tuning on a wrx last night. He said it sounded exactly like mine. I guess I'm safe now, just have a loud tranny :p

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6-9 months <mouth drops> I hope it lasts a bit longer since I'd hate to split the tranny from the motor any time soon. I guess by then there will be tons of clutch kits for the 6spd people.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep 6-9 months is all you'll get out of that puppy. Now you can always just replace the disc itself but you'll get 6-9 months out of doing that. I had to do that recenetly with a customer with same clutch. I have my triple plate ATS carbon clutch coming soon. Now THAT'S a clutch!

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:( From what people have been saying about the ATS clutches I may grab up one of the tripple plates in a bit.

Will it be aparent when 6puck clutch is giong out? I.E. slowly slipping, or will the thing gernade inside of my bell housing?

Is that 6 months of hard driving? I have about one month on it now but I'm just breaking in the motor and no large power as of yet.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes 6-9 months of street driving. It is not designed for the stop and go traffic. This is what wears it out, not power. It will let go gradually but once it starts slipping you have only a few weeks to replace before it will not grab at all. Getting those discs are a pain in the ars so be prepared with a fresh one ahead of time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Techincally the GDB 6 speed ATS carbon clutches will be released the week of December 8th in US. I have one coming in a bit earlier for personal use. I will post pics on my website. There are pics on there of the twin plate. We sell quite a few of those to the WRX guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts