IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought 2004 STI WRX :D and i just bought the EX-engineering 450hp kit and i was woundering would the new trubo kit kill my gears? i'm looking at blitz or something else for exhuast and EX intercooler and 550cc injetors and the fuel pump and intake.i might go all EX stuff. but with the car breathing right and having enough fuel will i still kill my gear box or am i alright? the EX web site says that they got a sti to get up to 410whp with the trubo kit and had no problems i guess.

but another wed site says that if i go pass 400 hp i will kill the gear box. :cry:

o, also what is a good clutch kit for a high power car like mine?

thanks for the help..

EXturbo :eek:

·
Registered
373 Posts
You may as well do it, so you can let us know if you blow the gears out. You will be the experimental test project due to the relative small numbers that have really tried major mods such as the one's you are suggesting. It sounds very enticing, insane power levels.
Supposedly the STI gear box is much stronger and heavier than its WRX counterpart. And many guys crank really high hp #'s on their WRX's (albeit some have tranny problems at those power levels). Please keep us posted on what happens.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I thought the STi already has 550cc injectors? Maybe you should to RC650's or bigger. Not sure about the pump either. How good is the STi pump (flow)? Are you planning to custom tune? I would highly suggest to have it custom dyno tuned so you do not have any generic maps. By they way what are they offering for engine management?

Nick

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, I know of guys who were running well over 300 HP and lbs of torque with a stock wrx tranny .....

It really is going to depend on how you drive the thing... i.e. side-stepping the clutch and crap, guaranteed you'll break something....

Who is EX engineering? I am also pretty sure we already have 500+cc injectors, you'll probably want to go with 650's or even 800's ..... make sure you have the gauges too ..... i.e. EGT, Boost, etc....

I plan on upgrading my turbo, fuel system and engine management sometime in the spring ....

Right now I just have a turbo-back (turboXS) and a cold air intake ..... I'll be putting an mbc on it shortly ...... (after more data logging)

·
Registered
284 Posts
two questions....what is an mbc? and can i put an exhaust/downpipe and not adjust ecu? (before that option becomes available, anyway)

·
Registered
241 Posts
oh yeah, you'll need bigger injectors!!!

the sti comes stock with 550cc... you'll need 800cc (or if you're not ballzy enough, 650's)

Go for it. The sti tranny is a beast. So is the clutch :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, number one the Turbos that XS Engineering uses are actually AVO turbos. I tested an AVO 450 last week and it was VERY dissapointing. More lag and less power than the APS and PE turbos. As for the gears Jun and Cusco use the 6 speed but the gears have been taken out and treated to make them stronger. I hear Cusco has a stronger 1-2-3 gears. THe stock STi injectors are 550cc. PE has 850cc injectors but you have to modify them slightly to fit. We are testing the injectors for them. As for clutch it starts to give up the ghost at only 300 whp. We carry the Exedy twin disc carbon but only until the new ATS twin and triple plate carbons are ready. We will be installing the first triple plate carbon in the US on our own STi.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts