IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I attended the Evolution Performance Driving School focusing on autoxing. The school was whole day and we certainly had a blast. The instructors were all national champions and they truly knew how to drive any of the cars that we, the students, brought to the field.

The morning started with 3 runs to establish a baseline. The course was broken into 5 segments and they recorded each segment's time and the total. Then, we ran with the instructors as passengers observing our runs, then we switched and they showed us how to do it in our own cars, pushing to their 85% as they said. They were very impressed with the STi and one Evo that John Todd (this years local SCCA AS class champion) brought. Then we switched again and ran while listening to the instructions, and all of us ran better times.

The morning focused on driving techniques and the afternoon focused on looking ahead. At the end of the day all of us were better drivers. I improved over 1.5 seconds on a ~30-second course. It is a significant difference. Most local SCCA events run 50 to 60 second courses and I learned how to improve nearly 3 seconds if I can consistently practice what I learned.

I would highly recommend the school if you are interested in learning how to get the most out of your vehicle and enjoy autoxing more. 52% of all national champions went through their classes; phase 1 through 3 and few additional courses.

I think you will also enjoy the following data we collected on our STi. The interesting part is that we had sustained lateral g loading of 0.99 to 1.08 for durations exceeding 2 seconds, we sustained 1.13 to 1.15 gs for roughly 0.75 seconds, and we peaked at 1.25g (on street tires :)) We left DCCD in auto at all times and I think the graph shows the potential f the vehicle and I am told by the instructors I was able to push to about 9/10.

The course layout:

Section 1 Handling/Acceleration/Decelaration Chart:

Section 2:

Section 3:

Section 4:

Section 5:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Singletrack said:
That data is awesome. Sounds like a blast.

-st
Sure was. For some reason however, our computer could not collect the ODBII data to overlay on top of the g-g charts; such as RPM, throttle position and speed. Once we troubleshoot that problem, the data will look much more useful :)

Now, we need to establish the baseline data of an Evo; Wojo? You up to it this coming weekend at Rosecroft? We are in seperate heats, we'll have time to switch the data logger between the cars.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mx_9 said:
FT,

Which class is the data from? Phase 1 or Phase 2?

Thanks, Chris
Oh, I apologize that it was not clear, the data is from our own telemetry equipment, the class does not provide that information, it is focused on driving techniques. Actually our telemetry equipment was supposed to record RPM, throttle position, and speed as well from the OBDII but a software bug prevented it. Now we obtained the new version of the software and we should be able to collect the information and overlay all that on top of the above-similar charts. That will be very educational I think :)

This weekend actually, we will also record similar data from wojo's Evo VIII and our STi on the same day and same auto-x course for baseline and be able to compare the data :D I am so looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks for the additional info FT. It will be interesting to see Wojo's data.

I'm intrigued by the course layout and the limits that you found. Was it the Phase 1 or Phase 2 class?

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RS WRC said:
I will be looking forward to this weekend's data.
FT, since you got me so excited with this telemetry, I may even stop by to say hello and watch you guys in action!
Please do. And may be you can ride with me as well, give me some pointers? :)

Btw, you gotta change your avartar ;) lol.
mx_9 said:
Thanks for the additional info FT. It will be interesting to see Wojo's data.

I'm intrigued by the course layout and the limits that you found. Was it the Phase 1 or Phase 2 class?

Thanks, Chris
I attended the Phase 1 on Saturday, and Phase 2 was on Sunday. With all the work that is needed to open our business within the next few days and other personal responsibilities, I could not do two whole days of "fun" :) However, if you would like to read a review of Phase 2 and another perspective of the overall school please follow this link: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=565155#post565155
Don't ask, I visit too many message boards :D

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RS WRC - btw, I will be going to VIR for two days beginning of December with the Audi club, would you like to join? I was also thinking of calling Serkan to ask if he would be interested as well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
RS WRC - btw, I will be going to VIR for two days beginning of December with the Audi club, would you like to join? I was also thinking of calling Serkan to ask if he would be interested as well.
I have FATT scheduled for Dec.5th, sure I'll do 6th and 7th VIR as well. then I may have to take the following Monday off :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wed @ sac raceway. 3 STI's. Getting better

RS WRC said:
I have FATT scheduled for Dec.5th, sure I'll do 6th and 7th VIR as well. then I may have to take the following Monday off :)
That is going to be a heavily-scheduled weekend for you :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts