IW STi Forum banner

Everything you need to know about E85

220K views 112 replies 49 participants last post by  STiMikeNC 
#1 · (Edited)
This is something HolyCrapItsFast and I have been working hard to create over the past month. Its purpose is to provide a resource for those looking to either run E85 or just wanting a better understanding. Besides clearing up common misconceptions regarding its octane rating and effect on the fuel system this thread will address availability, changes in blend, tuning, and effects on performance. Examples of members' builds and links to further information sources will also be provided.

Table of Contents:

-What is E85 and what is needed to run it (post 2)
-Effects on performance (post 3)
-Effects on fuel systems (post 4)
-Octane rating (post 5)
-Changes in blend and its effect (post 6)
-Tuning for E85 (post 7)
-Availability (post 8)
-E85 build examples (post 9)

Sources:

-E85 and Ethanol Blends | Ethanol Retailers
-http://www.iowarfa.org/PDF/E85_values_fund/E85%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf
-Growth Energy Market Development
-E85 Mustangs.com - dedicated to E85 Fuel
-http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy02osti/30849.pdf
-Hybrid Vehicles - Alternative Fuels - Alternative Fuel and Hybrid Vehicles
-Illinois Green Fleets
-http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/locator/stations/
-http://www.flexiblefuelvehicleclub.org/index.asp
-http://www.e85ethanolprices.com/index.php
-http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php
-View a video clip produced by "60 Minutes" about FFVs, E85 and ethanol. The Ethanol Solution

A special thanks to George (HolyCrapItsFast). I wouldn't have been able to make this by myself.

Thank you to those who helped contribute in the planning thread.

See less See more
#37 · (Edited)
At the very least you need injectors AND a fuel pump for sure. And then a tune. For a stock turbo you probably want to be somewhere between 740cc at higher altitudes and 850cc at sea level.

I will ask Jared to change the first part to include a fuel pump for stock turbos.

And a "tad" is understated IMO. :lol:

This is all I have for mods right now, K&N typhoon short intake, tgv deletes, high flow up pipe, 4" downpipe with 3" catted midpipe to 3 inch catback, cobb stage 2 on 93.

I just did a widebody/fender flare setup with some wide wheels and tires which took some of the "oomph" away. I want the "oomph" back.

Also I have a walbro fuel pump just sitting here waiting to go in. Might go ahead and get a set of injectors as well as a tune.

Not too far to an e85 station here it looks like.

Make the jump??

#39 ·
Yes take the plunge!!! You have the pump all ready to go and as you say all you need are injectors. The only thing you will need from there is a tune.

With the mods you have you will get quite a good gain.

Never been to a dyno before for a tune. Hoping they offer an email base map or an all email tune to get it drivable.

I think I will take the jump. What's more unique than a widebody on e85?? :D

#40 ·
Well, I just ordered 1000cc injectors in case I ever want a bigger turbo after this mod. Dug through my spare parts bin and found 2, 255lph fuel pumps. Should I do a double pumper setup right now or just the one and upgrade to double if I need it??

Called surgeline tuning and they were very helpful about how to do the transition.

Really excited/nervous now.

I guess I will be part of the darkside soon enough.

:)

#42 ·
I guess I will be part of the darkside soon enough.

:)
Lol congrats you will love it, e85 is by far the best mod i have done to my car.....it feels like a rocket :)[/QUOTE]

Am I going to need a new clutch that will hold the power to the pavement??

What I mean is I see some of the videos up on youtube with e85 STI's on the stock turbos. One thing I notice is that the torque is crazy high. Most of you break traction I am sure when you drop the hammer say, rolling in 2nd??

I am now running 285/30/18's and I doubt I would be breaking traction at all with those. Will my stock clutch handle it?? Most of the time I drive like a granny.

What are the limits of the stock clutch with e85?

#43 ·
Am I going to need a new clutch that will hold the power to the pavement??

What I mean is I see some of the videos up on youtube with e85 STI's on the stock turbos. One thing I notice is that the torque is crazy high. Most of you break traction I am sure when you drop the hammer say, rolling in 2nd??

I am now running 285/30/18's and I doubt I would be breaking traction at all with those. Will my stock clutch handle it?? Most of the time I drive like a granny.

What are the limits of the stock clutch with e85?
My stock clutch with 50,000 miles on it started slipping at at 450 whp on the dyno. He turned the power down to 400 whp and 401 wtq and i have only felt it slip once and that was going uphill with 5 people in the car and i stepped on it a little too much. And i don't launch my car so i don't have to worry about that part the only time i really get on it is when the clutch is fully engaged.

So i would think some where in the 385 whp range would be okay on the stock clutch.

#46 ·
This is good information to know. Looks Like I should be okay. With the 285's I cannot break free unless the streets are wet. Even then it is a daunting task.

Excited, can't wait.

#49 ·
Very resourceful thread.

Edit: Why the hell is this not a sticky. There are to many questions about this to not be.

#50 ·
Well, I have pulled the trigger on E85 after finding a station <1mile from my house.:)
Got the DW 850's & a DW 300lph pump already, just waiting to get a COBB catted DP (with Swaintech coating) before i head to EQ Tuning to get install & 2 tunes done (1 for 91, 1 for E85)
Cant wait to see how it works out:D

#53 ·
I've had an oil consumption issue for about 1.5 years now, still don't know the root cause. It originally showed up as a white puff of smoke at start up after doing auto-x runs and then letting it sit for a few hours. Never had any visible smoke during the auto-x runs, but a big puff of white at the next start a few hours later...usually spewed the smoke for about 10 sec. But, it seems to be worse when I drive aggressively with E85. It's to the point where I can now see the white plume in my rear view mirror when driving WOT (passing on the highway, playing a little bit).

I don't have catch cans or an AOS, but I've considered installing one if blow-by is my problem, rather than blown turbo seal or some issue with the internals (ringland, valve seals, etc.)

For those running E85, did you notice an increase in oil consumption or blow-by caused by the increased boost pressures? For those with catch cans, did they fill up faster?

#54 ·
And I'll join in the E85 praise, also. Night and day difference, totally worth the cost, and totally worth the reduced driving range. Every once in a while, when I have to refuel every other day, I start to think that I should go back to 91 for a while...then I drive away from the gas station and say "naahhhhhh....it's totally worth it" :)

I just need to get my oil consumption figured out so I can romp on it again without worrying :(

#56 ·
So hopefully this has not been covered. Searched this thread and fuel filter to only find part numbers and how to's. What I am wondering is this. Once I convert to e85 am I going to need to change or replace the fuel filter? My friend with an EVO was stating that he changes his every oil change due to how much e85 cleaned out his gas tank. Stated first few times there was a bunch of sludge that built up. I have never heard this before and did not know if this was necessary? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

#57 ·
So hopefully this has not been covered. Searched this thread and fuel filter to only find part numbers and how to's. What I am wondering is this. Once I convert to e85 am I going to need to change or replace the fuel filter? My friend with an EVO was stating that he changes his every oil change due to how much e85 cleaned out his gas tank. Stated first few times there was a bunch of sludge that built up. I have never heard this before and did not know if this was necessary? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

I have experienced none of those problems.

#61 ·
In case the tuner needed it. I am close to stock so the tuner did not need it. It is there if I do future mods though. I used 1000cc five o motorsports injectors which the tuner said acted excatly the same as a set of deautshcwerks that everyone is so gaga over. 350 shipped.

#62 ·
Good to know. I thought you were on stock setup for the most part so was not sure for the dual pumpst but that makes perfect sense. As for the injectors. I will have to give those a look. Never heard of them. Was thinking of going with 1100cc to give me some head room while others are stating that is overkill. Thanks for the follow up.

#64 ·
Crap with the cold weather. I have starting issues. 40 degrees and I have to crank on it for about a minute to get it to fire off and start. Any tips? I was thinking of putting a heat gun near the intake while trying to start it??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.