IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I guess I will be part of the darkside soon enough.

:)[/QUOTE]

Lol congrats you will love it, e85 is by far the best mod i have done to my car.....it feels like a rocket :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
I guess I will be part of the darkside soon enough.

:)
Lol congrats you will love it, e85 is by far the best mod i have done to my car.....it feels like a rocket :)[/QUOTE]

Am I going to need a new clutch that will hold the power to the pavement??

What I mean is I see some of the videos up on youtube with e85 STI's on the stock turbos. One thing I notice is that the torque is crazy high. Most of you break traction I am sure when you drop the hammer say, rolling in 2nd??

I am now running 285/30/18's and I doubt I would be breaking traction at all with those. Will my stock clutch handle it?? Most of the time I drive like a granny.

What are the limits of the stock clutch with e85?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Am I going to need a new clutch that will hold the power to the pavement??

What I mean is I see some of the videos up on youtube with e85 STI's on the stock turbos. One thing I notice is that the torque is crazy high. Most of you break traction I am sure when you drop the hammer say, rolling in 2nd??

I am now running 285/30/18's and I doubt I would be breaking traction at all with those. Will my stock clutch handle it?? Most of the time I drive like a granny.

What are the limits of the stock clutch with e85?
My stock clutch with 50,000 miles on it started slipping at at 450 whp on the dyno. He turned the power down to 400 whp and 401 wtq and i have only felt it slip once and that was going uphill with 5 people in the car and i stepped on it a little too much. And i don't launch my car so i don't have to worry about that part the only time i really get on it is when the clutch is fully engaged.

So i would think some where in the 385 whp range would be okay on the stock clutch.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i'm only road tune for e85 so i dont really know what my car is putting down but i am on the stock clutch still with 53000 miles on it and no problems so far

·
Registered
33 Posts
I plan on going with an aftermarket clutch soon (401wtq) b/c I do plan on taking it to the track often. My buddy smoked his (430wtq) and is upgrading his clutch even sooner - both are stock turbos on E85.

·
Registered
999 Posts
This is good information to know. Looks Like I should be okay. With the 285's I cannot break free unless the streets are wet. Even then it is a daunting task.

Excited, can't wait.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Very resourceful thread.

Edit: Why the hell is this not a sticky. There are to many questions about this to not be.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Well, I have pulled the trigger on E85 after finding a station <1mile from my house.:)
Got the DW 850's & a DW 300lph pump already, just waiting to get a COBB catted DP (with Swaintech coating) before i head to EQ Tuning to get install & 2 tunes done (1 for 91, 1 for E85)
Cant wait to see how it works out:D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, I have pulled the trigger on E85 after finding a station <1mile from my house.:)
Got the DW 850's & a DW 300lph pump already, just waiting to get a COBB catted DP (with Swaintech coating) before i head to EQ Tuning to get install & 2 tunes done (1 for 91, 1 for E85)
Cant wait to see how it works out:D
Oh it will work out awesome! You will NEVER want to run that piss they call 91 ever again. :tup:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've had an oil consumption issue for about 1.5 years now, still don't know the root cause. It originally showed up as a white puff of smoke at start up after doing auto-x runs and then letting it sit for a few hours. Never had any visible smoke during the auto-x runs, but a big puff of white at the next start a few hours later...usually spewed the smoke for about 10 sec. But, it seems to be worse when I drive aggressively with E85. It's to the point where I can now see the white plume in my rear view mirror when driving WOT (passing on the highway, playing a little bit).

I don't have catch cans or an AOS, but I've considered installing one if blow-by is my problem, rather than blown turbo seal or some issue with the internals (ringland, valve seals, etc.)

For those running E85, did you notice an increase in oil consumption or blow-by caused by the increased boost pressures? For those with catch cans, did they fill up faster?

·
Registered
350 Posts
And I'll join in the E85 praise, also. Night and day difference, totally worth the cost, and totally worth the reduced driving range. Every once in a while, when I have to refuel every other day, I start to think that I should go back to 91 for a while...then I drive away from the gas station and say "naahhhhhh....it's totally worth it" :)

I just need to get my oil consumption figured out so I can romp on it again without worrying :(

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Is your car tuned for E85? If your car is smoking your cars ringlands are bad! It's smoking more on E85 because you should be making more power! I would get your motor checked out and get a compression test!

·
Registered
840 Posts
So hopefully this has not been covered. Searched this thread and fuel filter to only find part numbers and how to's. What I am wondering is this. Once I convert to e85 am I going to need to change or replace the fuel filter? My friend with an EVO was stating that he changes his every oil change due to how much e85 cleaned out his gas tank. Stated first few times there was a bunch of sludge that built up. I have never heard this before and did not know if this was necessary? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
999 Posts
So hopefully this has not been covered. Searched this thread and fuel filter to only find part numbers and how to's. What I am wondering is this. Once I convert to e85 am I going to need to change or replace the fuel filter? My friend with an EVO was stating that he changes his every oil change due to how much e85 cleaned out his gas tank. Stated first few times there was a bunch of sludge that built up. I have never heard this before and did not know if this was necessary? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

I have experienced none of those problems.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts