IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Then we can just link it in this thread. Either way, I'll always share my tunes as I've done in the past with Fords.
Exactly. :) I'll put a link in the tuning section to the thread. :tup:

I wish I could share my tune but I don't think COBB will let me.
Yamaha and Bad have a good idea here. Gives us nerds a chance to discuss and pool our knowledge and perhaps build a knowledgebase for tuning specific to E85.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Do we want to add base maps in this thread? I'll post up my map/tune after I install my 20g and go E85. More maps sticky'd here could make the transition easier for some. Although, this applies to self-tunes as I'm sure most maps will be locked.
What if we created an Excel spreadsheet template with all of the relevant tables in it and you can simply copy and paste from the spreadsheet into your favorite tuning software.

This way we don't have to worry about compatibilty and security issues.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Awesome info thanks for sharing :tup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
subscribed. Great write up on e85 lots i learned from reading on here. e85 seems to be one of the last things i would do with my stock turbo, but what really scares me the most is the mix between the e85 and 91. what if i dont find any e85 stations? I know that the cobb ap lets me switch but what if i still have some of the other left?

·
Registered
585 Posts
The question is how much you have left, as well as what you are switching to E85->91 or the opposite. If you're going E85 to 91 then as long as you're down to the gas light you're good to go ahead and fill up with 91. When you go the other way make sure you drain every bit that you can and then do a full fill with E85, or to be even safer do a 5 gal fill with E85, drive like a granny, then full fill once running on fumes again and reset the ECU. One thing you want to remember is to always reflash or reset the ECU, don't to a realtime because you'll be running off of learned parameters from another type of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Subscribed.........

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The question is how much you have left, as well as what you are switching to E85->91 or the opposite. If you're going E85 to 91 then as long as you're down to the gas light you're good to go ahead and fill up with 91. When you go the other way make sure you drain every bit that you can and then do a full fill with E85, or to be even safer do a 5 gal fill with E85, drive like a granny, then full fill once running on fumes again and reset the ECU. One thing you want to remember is to always reflash or reset the ECU, don't to a realtime because you'll be running off of learned parameters from another type of fuel.
Hmmm. See I would think that the real concern is going form E85 to gasoline. The other way around I wouldn't be to concerned because ultimately you will just run a little rich and here are my thoughts...

Yet to be proven...

If you leave E85 in the tank and then fill up with gasoline, you now have a mixture of gasoline that will result in a leaner condition and the ECU will compensate more by adding more fuel. This will be evident in high fuel trims. The danger here is Knock at WOT. But is it really? I have seen people add a little bit of E85 to act as an octane booster so, even though it is a leaner mix, it is more resistant to knock which might cancel out the effects of a leaner mixture.

When you leave gasoline in the tank and fill up with E85, I would think this is of no concern because your fuel trims will swing negative and you would be running a richer mix of fuel. Albeit I don't think it will be rich enough to be damaging in anyway.

I personally have never had any issues when changing fuel. As you say and at the very least you should wait until the fuel light comes on. I usually wait till it hits the bottom line.

Your advice to perform a real time flash is great advice. So often I come across someone with multiple tunes on their car and they are running E85 and it is running like crap or not at all. I always find that they have performed a realtime flash only. What I have observed with respect to this is that the Injector Scale does not carry over as a result of a real time flash. Only during a full reflash will this happen.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'd also like to clarify that the above post is under the assumption that you switch maps when switching the fuel. :tup:

·
Registered
999 Posts
I want in!! Perfect mod for a tad bit more power. Looks like all I need is a set of injectors since I am fairly stock on the motor.

Do you guys have any injector recommendations??

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
At the very least you need injectors AND a fuel pump for sure. And then a tune. For a stock turbo you probably want to be somewhere between 740cc at higher altitudes and 850cc at sea level.

I will ask Jared to change the first part to include a fuel pump for stock turbos.

And a "tad" is understated IMO. :lol:

·
Registered
999 Posts
At the very least you need injectors AND a fuel pump for sure. And then a tune. For a stock turbo you probably want to be somewhere between 740cc at higher altitudes and 850cc at sea level.

I will ask Jared to change the first part to include a fuel pump for stock turbos.

And a "tad" is understated IMO. :lol:

This is all I have for mods right now, K&N typhoon short intake, tgv deletes, high flow up pipe, 4" downpipe with 3" catted midpipe to 3 inch catback, cobb stage 2 on 93.

I just did a widebody/fender flare setup with some wide wheels and tires which took some of the "oomph" away. I want the "oomph" back.

Also I have a walbro fuel pump just sitting here waiting to go in. Might go ahead and get a set of injectors as well as a tune.

Not too far to an e85 station here it looks like.

Make the jump??

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yes take the plunge!!! You have the pump all ready to go and as you say all you need are injectors. The only thing you will need from there is a tune.

With the mods you have you will get quite a good gain.

Never been to a dyno before for a tune. Hoping they offer an email base map or an all email tune to get it drivable.

I think I will take the jump. What's more unique than a widebody on e85?? :D

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well, I just ordered 1000cc injectors in case I ever want a bigger turbo after this mod. Dug through my spare parts bin and found 2, 255lph fuel pumps. Should I do a double pumper setup right now or just the one and upgrade to double if I need it??

Called surgeline tuning and they were very helpful about how to do the transition.

Really excited/nervous now.

I guess I will be part of the darkside soon enough.

:)

21 - 40 of 113 Posts