IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: how is it

This is kind of interesting:

I was cruising down the road today and the speedometer suddenly started flappin' like we were going through the Bermuda Triangle. Very rapid fluctuations back and forth over about 30 mph. Vehicle speed remained constant.

The car was fully warmed up. I had just redlined first and second and was running around 3.5K in fifth. DCCD locked on wet pavement, probably about 37 degrees. The whole episode lasted maybe 20 seconds, then everything was just fine for the rest of the afternoon.

Anyone else had anything like that?

·
Registered
586 Posts
The speedo is all electronic, so it's probably a short somewhere.
IMO, an electrical short is the worst thing to try to fix in a car.
I can only wish you the best of luck. :(

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The short was the first thing that popped into my mind too.

I suppose it's possible the ECU got irritated. That certainly wouldn't be the first time I've seen a computer behave erratically. If it is the ECU, I hope it confines itself to things as benign as the speedo. I could do without a surprize airbag deployment, lol.

Re the short: I tend to associate mechanical shorts with consistent, or at least intermittent failure. This was a completely isolated incident. Gremlins either way, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Take it in, have em look, they'll tell you nothing is wrong....

Might as well get it documented now, so if you happen to roll over your warranty period before it happens again it'll still be on their dime.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The last time I saw something like that happen (not on a Subie), I had to get a new alternator.

Hopefully you're still under warranty... even so, it can be a pain.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the problem appears to have been a faulty speedo. It was replaced today - so far, so good. And thank God, no dash rattles. :D

·
Registered
963 Posts
sciolist said:
Well, the problem appears to have been a faulty speedo. It was replaced today - so far, so good. And thank God, no dash rattles. :D
Glad to hear it! Given a choice, I'd rather it be a faulty speedo than a short or something in the ECU... IMHO anyhow

Hope everything keeps going well...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts