IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Finally decided on Cobb Catback and ordered it about 10 min ago.

Update on recent header and fuel upgrades....

The drive ability is better with Headers and I get into boost much quicker, but not all that happy with current tune. It's a bit notchy on/off throttle and moderate excelleration has dead spots. If I'm WOT banging through gears, it's perfect. Thinking my tuner does not put a lot of time into "around town" driveability. Spoke with another tuner who thinks I should have done the full Cobb fuel upgrade with rails and lines to get the best throttle response and smoothness.

New tuner thinks he can work around kinks with time to work on a new tune and adding the Cobb fuel pressure sensor to provide feedback and compensate for shitty fuel rail and line design. I haven't decided what I'll do yet. Most likely I'll speak with GST to see if he can improve on current setup.

Trying not to get caught up in adding more mods, but the Cobb 20G Turbo is very temping. It really is true that these cars are quite expensive to mod and get noticeable results.

Also, I forgot to mention that when the Killer B oil pickup was installed, they found a small piece of metal wedged in my original pickup. They were not able to identify what exactly is was, but aim trying to remain positive that there will be no catastrophic failure in my future, especially after spending a lot of money recently on reliability mods. Time will tell...

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
After talking to several people and going back to get tune sorted with no luck, I’ve decided to go to a new tuner. While I’m at it, I might as well go flex fuel as well. Ordered the Cobb Ethanol and Fuel Pressure Sensor kit. Will install it the day before my tune.

I also ordered Öhlins coilovers, Race Comp Swaybar Kit and Whiteline Bump Steer Kit. Swaybar kits are on backorder so I will install Coil Overs and Bump Steer Kit when they come in and schedule another alignment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
After talking to several people and going back to get tune sorted with no luck, I’ve decided to go to a new tuner. While I’m at it, I might as well go flex fuel as well. Ordered the Cobb Ethanol and Fuel Pressure Sensor kit. Will install it the day before my tune.

I also ordered Öhlins coilovers, Race Comp Swaybar Kit and Whiteline Bump Steer Kit. Swaybar kits are on backorder so I will install Coil Overs and Bump Steer Kit when they come in and schedule another alignment.
Snail Performance for the new tuner? 👀

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Snail Performance for the new tuner? 👀
Equilibrium Tuning in Fairfield. I spoke with both Snail and EQT and EQT seemed like the best option for me. Snail gets good feedback, as well

·
Registered
45 Posts
Equilibrium Tuning in Fairfield. I spoke with both Snail and EQT and EQT seemed like the best option for me. Snail gets good feedback, as well
Right on! I never had direct experience with EQ but I have buddies who have and they have nothing but good words to say about them. Though, there are several posts on several Subaru FB communities every now and then that share their negative experiences with EQ. Do report back once your tune is finalized. I'm actually excited to read about your impressions of the tune and experience with EQ.

Also by chance, where did you order your Ohlins from? What kind of wheels do you have in mind to replace those heavy 19" stockers? :)

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
At the moment, the only negative I have to say about EQT is that they are slow to respond to emails and hard to get on the phone. Given the fact that the 1st tune appointment was a month out, I’m assuming they are super busy.

Ordered the Öhlins, Swaybars, and Bump Steer Kit from Arcflash. No plans for wheel change at the moment. I really like the look of the factory 19’s and want to give them a shot with stickier rubber and a track day. A good friend of mine is planning to rent Thunderhill for the day for his wife’s birthday and I’ve only been on that track on a motorcycle, so looking forward to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Installed the Prolightz Fog Lamp Kit.

Had to do a couple repairs and adjustments to the parts in the kit to complete the install, but it's on now and I really like the look. The color of the Morimoto Lamps is pretty much an exact match to the 2018 LED headlamps. The electrical solution Prolightz provides is top notch and excellent quality, as long as you do not require the switch in your car. I don't really see the need for the in car switch, anyway. All my others cars that are equipped with fog lamps, have switches in the car and I never turn them off. I also appreciate that with this setup, they stay on when I turn on the high beams.

To be crystal clear, the repair/adjustments had nothing to do with Prolightz harness, but with other parts in the kit.

8/23 Update:
After having these mounted and driving for over a month, I would skip this upgrade as these fogs are not functional, in my opinion. I will admit that they make a difference in the front end appearance of the car, but they do nothing to produce more use-able light and I drive mountain roads every night. I have a 2018 and I believe the upgraded LED and Steering Response headlights take away any need for driving/fog lights. I have to prop myself up in my seat to see any light from these and after adjusting the pointing height, they just blend into the headlight beam. If your looking for functionality, skip this upgrade and spend the $300 on something more useful.
In your research, what did you read to be the brightest fog lights? Do you know if the JDM PIAA fogs are pretty bright? I was considering the subiebros fog/square turn signal combo as well, maybe combined with the OEM fog cover/bezel if it fits.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
In your research, what did you read to be the brightest fog lights? Do you know if the JDM PIAA fogs are pretty bright? I was considering the subiebros fog/square turn signal combo as well, maybe combined with the OEM fog cover/bezel if it fits.
I did not research a lot of fogs, because a the time, there were not a lot of options for 2018 kits. I went with prolightz because they used factory bezels and light color was a dead match for LED headlights.

But, as I said in my earlier posts, fog lights are purely aesthetic on the steering responsive headlight cars. I go no additional lighting from mine. No clue who have the brightest, but I also don't want to blind other drivers.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Finally got my Flex Fuel Tune @ EQT Tuning in Fairfield, CA. My 1st scheduled appointment was thwarted by power outage due to wildfire conditions. Sucked, because I took the day off work and got a hotel to get up there. Not EQT's fault, or anyone else's, for that matter.

Any way, I am extremely happy with the results. The guys are the shop are very friendly and helpful. Patrick, who runs the shop and also does some wrenching, got me in 1st thing and did a compression check and installed 1 step colder plugs prior to my tune. Compression test was good, but was strange to hear that #4 cylinder actually had higher compression, but all 4 cylinder leak downs were nice and tight so I'm not going to worry about the high compression on #4.

Ed @ EQT had a real conversation with me about my intended use for the car and also wanted to hear about all my concerns with the previous tune and car behavior. He completed removed the stumble, as far as I can tell, and the previous tuner said I would need rails. The driveability of the car is so much better. Throttle response in traffic is so much smoother. No more jerking and surging. I've put a few hundred miles on the car, and no longer having the adverse effects of fuel trim adjustments after tune.

Now for the fun part...For those of you who have not run E85 and are on the fence about Flex Fuel, get over it and get your car running on corn if you have fuel available nearby. The car finally feels like it has some power and pulls hard through the mid range. I modded my car in multiple increments and never felt any considerable difference from step to step. Maybe it the combination of a great tuner plus the E85, but it is awesome. This is what the car should feel like, from the factory, to be competitive with other turbo cars in it's class. I'm loving it!

Almost makes me want to take the step up to 20G Turbo and related mods, but I will heed the warning of my tuner and his employees. They say that, although 20G is considered the top of factory bottom end capacity, it is not worth touching the turbo unless I'm going to do something about factory pistons. If I had only waited 1 more model year, I would be good to go, with confidence. The majority of cars they see with bigger turbos, have had factory piston failure.

Flex Fuel and the work it takes to get there, is well worth it. Do it now!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Finally got my Flex Fuel Tune @ EQT Tuning in Fairfield, CA.
Flex Fuel and the work it takes to get there, is well worth it. Do it now!
Nice! Super glad that Flex Fuel has been treating you well. Did EQT give you any advice for the type of oil to use when using Flex Fuel? Also, any power figures to flex? :lol:

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Nice! Super glad that Flex Fuel has been treating you well. Did EQT give you any advice for the type of oil to use when using Flex Fuel? Also, any power figures to flex? :lol:
In general, they prefer to run Motul X-Clean 5/40 in these cars. That's an easy transition as I was already running X-Clean 5/30, so I have already ordered a case of oil.

As for power, it's subjective given the dyno and conditions. This is basically at sea level on Dynojet, so I think conservatively remove 12-15% to compare to a Mustang Dyno. My numbers were as follows:

91 2 Runs
Max Power 344, Max Torque 376
Max Power 345.7, Max Torque 376.6

E85 2 Runs
Max Power 416.8, Max Torque 474.3
Max Power 416.6, Max Torque 470.5

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Some new updates for the build...

I bolted in my Öhlins coil overs last week. Been playing around with ride height and dampening and have them where I like. 8 clicks out from full firm all the way around.

Car looks nice being lowered a tad. Not interested in the car being slammed, so these are perfect. The Öhlins are noticeably stiffer, but most importantly, they drive amazing. The control and recovery from our jacked California roads is stellar, what used to send me into a drift, now just sticks.

I will bolt up the Whiteline bump center roll kit next week right before my alignment and corner balance.

Still waiting on the Racecomp Sway Bars. They have been on backorder and now showing to come some time in December.

I’ve also caiught the bug to swap wheels, so I ordered a set of Titan 7 T-R10’s in Techna Bronze 18X19.5 and will install Michelin PS4S in 265/35/18

·
Registered
18 Posts
91 2 Runs
Max Power 344, Max Torque 376
Max Power 345.7, Max Torque 376.6

E85 2 Runs
Max Power 416.8, Max Torque 474.3
Max Power 416.6, Max Torque 470.5
New STI owner/lurker just reading build threads (your posts are very informative, btw) - just had to comment on those numbers. Holy cow. Same setup, only difference is 91 octane vs. corn gas? That's insane. Those numbers on a daily-drivable tune must be incredible. Nice!

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
New STI owner/lurker just reading build threads (your posts are very informative, btw) - just had to comment on those numbers. Holy cow. Same setup, only difference is 91 octane vs. corn gas? That's insane. Those numbers on a daily-drivable tune must be incredible. Nice!
Yes, E85 and the right tuner make that big of a difference. Also keep in mind that these numbers are from a Dynojet, which will read higher than a Mustang Dyno.

Either way, the car is so much more enjoyable to drive. The tuner did an amazing job making a map that improved driveability, immensely. No more jerky touchy throttle feel in traffic and the stumble that the previous tuner said could not be removed, is now nonexistent.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Wheels came in today. They’ll get dropped off tomorrow for 265/35/18 RE71R’s

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Also to note that I ditched the RCE Swaybar since they keep getting delayed and ordered a full F&R Superpro kit with endlinks and braces for the rear bar.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Finally got a chance to mount the new wheels and tires today in the pouring rain.

Have to say I’m a little disappointed in how they look with the 18’s and taller sidewall tires. Also, the rears are rubbing the fenders. I could have got 19’s if I went with the T-S5’s, but I just don’t care for that design. In my opinion, the 19’s do a better job of filling the wheel arches.

Surprised that the rears rub since the Ohlins Coilovers don’t go very low, to begin with. I knew I should have waited to have the car aligned and corner balanced after I decided to order wheels and tires.

I will need to start playing with ride height again and get it settled before I go back and have it balanced and aligned again. Hate doing things twice. Should have followed my gut on that decision.

sorry I don’t have any pictures, but maybe after I get a couple days of decent weather, I’ll start tweaking ride height. For now, it will sit parked to avoid rubbing.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts