IW STi Forum banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Where is your Dyno plot? :p

I'll totally fulfill the American stereotype and volunteer to post my before and after Dyno Plots this Friday :) (and I'll share my feedback regarding driveability etc - have high hopes as my tuner is a wee bit experienced with tuning for Killer B).

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
My Perrin BigTube EL header is holding up fine ... I'll replace it with Killer-B's when/if it cracks ... until then, seems to work fine ... you be the judge :)

Engine Break-In Ending ... - YouTube

:rofl:

I would jump in for a second:

Personally, I would give a top project a top header. And only choices I would consider are Killer b, Fullrace and maybe ETS.

That being said it is Bruce's car and his project. I also understand this Perrin header is a temporary thing?...I hope :-D

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Ok, don't blame me, Prime Motoring had an issue delivering it to me :) Their office monitor broke. I just got it this morning finally.

So, long story short, on the sheet not a lot to show for it but it feels /much/ faster to me and knock has been almost non-existent to the point I'm wondering if somehow the change in headers makes it difficult to detect. And I do have a bit of a choke somehow going on - maybe the stumble? It happens when I transition into boost and is only really noticable in like 1st gear and even then it isn't always significant... oh and I'm running 1lb less boost.

In fact, other than the max going up, the average actually seemed to go down... but the butt dyno says its fast so who knows :)

So, added:
Perrin Turbo Inlet
Killer B Headers
Spearco TMIC (icy cold after a run :)
AEM CAI
Omni 4 Bar Map sensor ID1000s
DW65C
Killer B oil pickup, baffle and tray
Crawford AOS

DID NOT DO: TGV Deletes (they didn't have time)
This is atop of a CNT Catted DP and GS EBCS

Old dynoplot:
050114 Dyno by mazrimnj, on Flickr
New dynoplot:
Untitled by mazrimnj, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Looks like you are spooling a bit earlier now, and +26 FP is nothing to laugh at.

EDIT: check that on the earlier spool - a little earlier but not like I initially thought. I'm not sure why they don't make the axes identical on comparative plots. Certainly more area under the torque curve.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Looks like a fiesty car to me ... you're running the stocker turbo still? Those were the days when daily driving was fun :)

Ok, don't blame me, Prime Motoring had an issue delivering it to me :) Their office monitor broke. I just got it this morning finally.

So, long story short, on the sheet not a lot to show for it but it feels /much/ faster to me and knock has been almost non-existent to the point I'm wondering if somehow the change in headers makes it difficult to detect. And I do have a bit of a choke somehow going on - maybe the stumble? It happens when I transition into boost and is only really noticable in like 1st gear and even then it isn't always significant... oh and I'm running 1lb less boost.

In fact, other than the max going up, the average actually seemed to go down... but the butt dyno says its fast so who knows :)

So, added:
Perrin Turbo Inlet
Killer B Headers
Spearco TMIC (icy cold after a run :)
AEM CAI
Omni 4 Bar Map sensor ID1000s
DW65C
Killer B oil pickup, baffle and tray
Crawford AOS

DID NOT DO: TGV Deletes (they didn't have time)
This is atop of a CNT Catted DP and GS EBCS

Old dynoplot:
https://flic.kr/p/nwM1wLImage Link
050114 Dyno by mazrimnj, on Flickr
New dynoplot:
https://flic.kr/p/pcE2bNImage Link
Untitled by mazrimnj, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Those are terrible gains... and on one less psi. These headers don't do anything! ~10% gains on a stock turbo, pointless! and certainly not substantial! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I will reiterate simply for Chris so he realizes I appreciate his product: the chart isn't doing it justice. :) Going from Stage 1 to Stage 2 I had some regrets ... worried about ringlands, etc etc etc. Didn't think I picked up much for doing that. This... this is something else :) I don't question the gains at all.

So, I daily drive it mostly on Sport which is an 18 psi map. Sport map is not great (comparatively). However, I cannot contain or control myself on Sport# / 21 psi map. It's just... fun :) I won't have a license and all the people who already hate me will call the police on me ;) Even if /technically/ I wasn't speeding and didn't pass illegally etc. That much acceleration though is silly. So I dole out little bits of fun to myself when safe by flipping the switch.

Pros: Torque / Butt Dyno approved!
Cons: Engine... stumbles? coughes? as it transitions into positive boost. It could just be me trying to interpret a rapid gain in torque/hp brought on by boost :/ No clue.

Yes, the stocker turbo... up until I get my tax refund and rebuild my reserves... then I'm getting the Spoolinator :p Though no clue which turbo...

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
:p

A 500+ HP STi on 94oct is borrrrrrrring .... trust me :rofl:

A Yugo can beat me until I hit 4500 RPM :p But I am messing with anti-lag now to spool that hamster wheel under my hood a bit faster -- boom! There goes my engine again ... :lol:

Hey, cry me a river! I've seen your videos!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Was looking at the Invidia myself. Wondering what you know about it?
i had mad
The MadDad headers are the same as the Tomei ones, just different name for half the price. ;) With the MadDad I think you get to choose EL or UEL, but I can't remember.
no offence, but MadDad suck! I had a EL from them and it just cracked at the collector. I mean it fuc*ing blow out big time. as far a EL it was far from it also. switched to perrin EL, way nicer build, true EL. love it! EL owns UEL all day as far sound.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts