IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PERRIN header Equal Length, and Im looking into unequal ones because I hear the rumble will sort of go away if the headers are equal, or be i heard it will be alot less of a rumble that these boxer style motors make. is this True? Seems like it would be? kinda makes sense.

Also my tuner told me a protune stage 2 with stock turbo can gain more Power with Unequal headers, any comments on this?

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
LOL when I first read the title I was like what a noob thread. After reading the post I get what you're asking.

In regards to the noise I have heard that a UEL header wont rumble as much as stock. IMO if you want to stay UEL go with the Grimmspeed PNP stock header. It will rumble like stock and give you the same gains. Also the price is pretty bad *** and the fitment will be better. I plan on going with them when I upgrade my turbo.

I'm not sure about UEL headers making more power with the stock turbo when compared to EL. If it is true it could be because UEL headers produce more low end power while EL headers more top end. As we all know the stock turbo is lacking in the top end so it may not be able to see the gains of the EL headers.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL when I first read the title I was like what a noob thread. After reading the post I get what you're asking.

In regards to the noise I have heard that a UEL header wont rumble as much as stock. IMO if you want to stay UEL go with the Grimmspeed PNP stock header. It will rumble like stock and give you the same gains. Also the price is pretty bad *** and the fitment will be better. I plan on going with them when I upgrade my turbo.

I'm not sure about UEL headers making more power with the stock turbo when compared to EL. If it is true it could be because UEL headers produce more low end power while EL headers more top end. As we all know the stock turbo is lacking in the top end so it may not be able to see the gains of the EL headers.
So I'm kind of hearing from alot of people to stay away from "PERRIN" headers, have you heard any feed back in regards to these? I ask because I have a new set in my Garage and I swear the Ports/Holes look same as Stock when comparing hole size and thickness Perrin looks like stock but Taller and of course Equal. I do like the GT spec on my buddies 07 but then again it barely rumbles......Which I freaking love the Rumble personally.

I dont want to sound like a EVO , I love the sound our Stis make!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I've heard they make similiar TQ numbers through the powerband, but the EL gives you more WHP in upper RPMs. The EL makes the car sound more "flat" (kind of like an Evo).

In terms of quality, check out Grimmspeed for the stock ported manifold. Tomei has really nice UEL and EL pieces. Perrin's EL version is very popular; often dubbed their best product. APS had issues with cracking in some versions.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
So I'm kind of hearing from alot of people to stay away from "PERRIN" headers, have you heard any feed back in regards to these? I ask because I have a new set in my Garage and I swear the Ports/Holes look same as Stock when comparing hole size and thickness Perrin looks like stock but Taller and of course Equal. I do like the GT spec on my buddies 07 but then again it barely rumbles......Which I freaking love the Rumble personally.

I dont want to sound like a EVO , I love the sound our Stis make!
Yeah man EL headers will kill the rumble. I've heard good reviews of the Perrins as far as performance though. If you want rumble you should sell them and get Grimmspeed PNP manifolds, cross pipe, and up pipe. Im pretty sure you can get all that with the money from the Perrins.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Christan at cobb told told me when tuning my car was there is really no differance accept for the sound.
That's right.

On the stock turbo right...
Doesn't matter.

UEL = rumble, EL = no rumble. Perrins's have a little rumble as they are not wholly EL. Perrin's make very good power but many have trouble with them breaking and sometimes not fitting well. The Grimmspeed PnP stockers make some extra power though not quite as much as full headers. EL make a bit more power particularly on bigger turbos.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What ever you decide. Don't get the one with the flex pipe in them. Mine didn't last six months. I was having over boost issue like crazy. One night I hit 27 lbs. Didn't know what it was til it fully broke and you could hear it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
if your really wanna hear the rumble and not worrie about breaking look into the amr uel header its a lil more expensive but you pay for quality :banana: ... if not stick with the perrin its a good header:tup:

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
I doubt you'll see any improvement by switching to an uel manifold. You're over thinking this. Keep it simple and stick with the perrins. I haven't really heard anything bad about them.
You really dont think that UEL headers or PNP manifolds have any benifits over the stock manifold... If this is the case I'd have to disagree. Or did you mean compared to the Perrins?

·
Premium Member
4,595 Posts
If you already have the Perrins keep it. If you have to have the rumble then go with the Grimspeed setup. If you really want an actual header setup then there are plenty of choices such as the GT-Spec and it's clones on up to the pricier ones already mentioned. Personally I like the rumble and I've had the Prosport (GT-Spec clone) header and UP for several years now with no issues through three different turbo setups. The header itself won't make a whole lot of difference power wise between the brands. A few here or there for the most part. It certainly won't be the bottleneck on a stock turbo. The power difference can usually be adjusted for somewhat with different tuning tecniques as well. Just get a quality piece and enjoy. My .02 worth.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts