IW STi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally started flashing with the OpenECU.org stuff. EcuFlash to flash/read the rom, enginuity to tune it, and TARI ecu explorer for logging. All I can say is that this free software is a good piece of kit!

There's a lot of stuff you can do. There's still more features needed as far as CEL's etc. but for tuning it's all you need. So far I've:

* disabled all the rear O2 cels except for the heater circuit itself
* raised the speed limiter to 190
* Tried remapping the throttle map to mimic a cable throttle, didn't like it and
flashed back
* Adjusted all the idle speed maps so that the minimum is now 900 rpm
(850cc injectors)
* Raised the maximum allowable MAF g/s reading to 600 g/s instead of 300 g/s
* Raised boost cut to 38.5 psi (still have UTEC boost cut, may eventually
run a separate MAP sensor for UTEC)
* Raised knock detection to 1900 rpm from 1000 rpm (don't get boost anywhere near there with the 30R anyway)
* Tried scaling the injectors with the rom instead of the UTEC. Wasn't quite able to get it as precise as the UTEC so I went back to UTEC for scaling (+/- 2% LTFT) so that I wouldn't have to keep reflashing to get it spot on.

There's plenty of stuff for adjustment to fuel maps, timing maps, tip-in enrichment, wastegate duty cycle and target boost, injector latency - damn near everything.

So far there's nothing for raising the misfire threshold in Enginuity. The injectors throw occasional misfire cels on cold startup. USDM ECUs are set to a misfire count of 1 whereas some overseas ECUs are set to 10, which would certainly help. This setting also helps with lightweight flywheels, hopefully it will be added soon. Also nothing for rear O2 heater circuit - I may try to find it with a hex editor.

I don't plan on making many fine adjustments using the reflash software, for that I'll use the UTEC. But this stuff in conjuntion with the UTEC makes for some very powerful tuning tools.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'm friends with the lead programmer for Enginuity. I'll direct him towards this thread by eMail when I get to work in the morning. He's been busting his tail on this project for quite some time now, I'm sure he'll find the feedback concerning his software and the STi useful.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, I cant find a compatible foreign rom with my ECU (A2ZJ700J - AJ242). With any luck they'll be adding some more features that'll hopefully be ready by the next time I come home on leave (January).

I'm still amazed by this software though. Hats off to all those guys involved with the creation of this stuff. And Colby's tactrix cable has been the most plug and play item I've ever plugged into my USB port.

I just don't know why this stuff hasn't caught on more. Especially tuner support for it. I guess they'd rather make their share of selling the software on top of the tuning instead of just making money on the tuning itself, even though that's where the money's at.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ok so i downloaded that software but have no clue on how to use it. It looks like a weird script

·
Registered
858 Posts
Any ideas?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New Enginuity defs are out. Rest of the maps look about the same but there's a ton of new settings for DTCs (like 150 or so). When I get home from overseas I'll probably take out my misfire CELs (I'll turn them back on if I think I start having legitimate misfire issues under load). I'll also disable the remainder of the rear O2 codes.

There's TGV disable as well in case anyone wants to ditch their TGVs. If it works good I might ditch mine just because I can. Not sure if that one will work okay or if the ECU has to see a specific voltage from the sensor on order to run right at idle even if there's no codes. Of course, I accidently left the sensor unplugged a year or so ago and it ran fine until the code appeared (limp mode after about 25 miles of having the code).

Also, the new version of ECUflash is out as well. It also works pretty good as an editor.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've been waiting so long to hear some feedback about this I've been debating on get the cable and getting to work. I never really like the idea of paying money for some thing for my car and not know how it worked or being able to make adjustments myself. I'm sold I going to order my cable today. I just wish there was a place for the newbie's with this stuff. Info seems to be very sparse. Any suggestions?

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,687 Posts
i like the idea, but if you wish to tweak a tuned Protuner/Streettuner map which uses base, and realtime you are out of luck right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
La Mer said:
i like the idea, but if you wish to tweak a tuned Protuner/Streettuner map which uses base, and realtime you are out of luck right?
You won't be able to currently read a real-time map on the 32bit ecus. If someone comes up with an app to do a ram dump for these ecus (like the 16bit Ecuquery in Ecuexplorer) then it should be fairly easy to create definitions to read the real time maps.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
No jumpers just need to have the two green connectors connected.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I connected the 2 green connectors on the left side under the dash and I just got a fast blinking check engine light and a error unable to connect.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Make sure you are following the directions correctly. Connect the green connectors, open up ecuflash, click connect to ecu, and it will prompt you to have the green connectors connected and turn the car to the 'on' position and hit 'ok' immediately.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok I will try that. Thanks I didn't get any directions? I've been looking around open ecu enginuity, but those sites don't have a newbie section or anything about getting started. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts