IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
That one will be fine. I just used the same one to swap a 302 in a foxbody with the heads and everything on it. Plenty strong enough.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
hey man i got the one with 4 wheels and it was on sale for 50 bucks i liked that one alot better its more stable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have always used harbor freight engine stands. I agree with wsirianni, make sure to get the one with four wheels, the three wheel ones can get a little unstable when you really start wrenching on the motor, like when pulling the cam gears or just moving it around the garage.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
i have always used harbor freight engine stands. I agree with wsirianni, make sure to get the one with four wheels, the three wheel ones can get a little unstable when you really start wrenching on the motor, like when pulling the cam gears or just moving it around the garage.
+1... I have a 3 wheel unit and it is semi-unstable when wrenching on it. Harbor Freight FTW for cheap tools.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just rebuilt my engine using the harbour freight 1000 lb stand with 4 wheels. works fine you can rotate the engine all the way around. for 60 bucks you cant beat it. :tup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stupid question, but how do you bolt the engine to the engine stand. I helped a friend of mine remove his engine and put it on the stand, but I don't remember how it was fastened to the engine stand. He had a 3 wheeled harbor freight model.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Use the cap screws that mate the engine to the tranny bell housing and use them to mount the engine to a 4 pronged mount on the engine stand. It's commonly called a 'web'.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did pretty much that. U have the two lugs on the engine that account for the bottom two mounting points and then you can use two bolts from the engine - tranny to lock down the top. I only used one since the turbo is still on the engine and I didn't have the right bolt to lock it into place elsewhere on the housing (top two bolts are a different pitch than the sides). Even with only three mounting points, it was very solid and I had no problems doing the front end timing belt, idlers, water pump work.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts