IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatchback. The owner has told me the engine was rebuilt and the process on how it was broken in. I have attached all the documents relating to the repairs and processes to get it running back to normal. The owner said that all of the necessary actions have been taken to get the car back up and running. Does this look like a good buy or should I stay away?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I dont see what parts were used.

I see used rods and used crank, which isn't a big deal assuming it was checked correctly. Also, what pistons were used? what are the clearances and specs of the build?

Are you going to be daily driving this or do you want a project car?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't get these break-in procedures with 3000+ mile break-ins, or certain mileage before synthetic oil is used. Proper engine break-in should be done pretty quickly. In this case, first start-up and oil change has been done. How they did the initial break-in is the critical but unknown.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I don't get these break-in procedures with 3000+ mile break-ins, or certain mileage before synthetic oil is used. Proper engine break-in should be done pretty quickly. In this case, first start-up and oil change has been done. How they did the initial break-in is the critical but unknown.
Agreed, the engine is pretty much 90% broken in at about 50-100 miles. 1000 miles is excessive, but 3000 miles is just insane.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Crank no start, found rod through the block......well no shyte LoL

So whats the deal with "NPR piston kit" Ive never herd of that brand. Used rods and crank are ok as long as they are properly checked. Then comes the question of who checked them and how vs. compared to what specs.

Honestly they probably could have gotten a completly new short block for the price of fixing up the old one and getting used parts + machining.

·
Registered
630 Posts
NPR is one I have seen on ebay...seems to be pretty cheap and a few builders on craigslist use them...I assume they are about as good as the stockers...didn't remember seeing that above tho lol

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
so that just says "aftermarket stock style pistons" which, for me reading, would say it's not forged....just similar to stock but not oem....honestly the break in looks excessively long, and it sounds like if it's not forged and just an oem type rebuild it's not worth paying anything extra for. it may work fine but if you do buy it i wouldnt push that block without knowing exactly what specs it was built to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.