IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there I have a 2010 STI hatch have an engine noise took it to the dealership and they are telling me the turbine in the turbo is making the noise and they have to tear the engine down and I will possibly need a short block and cams and a turbo basically I’m thinking a rebuild on the motor the car is completely stock. So what I want to ask is what would my best route since the dealership wants to charge close to $10,000? Thank you in advance hoping someone can help or give suggestions

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
There has to be more to this than that. Why is it exactly that they want to do a tear down? Did they find metal filings in the oil? If they did then yes i can definitely see an engine replacement/rebuilt. There are many ways to go about this if you plan to keep the car and rebuild the engine. You should first decide on your goals for the car. Specifically power levels and driving duties. Once you've figured that out then go about the best possible way of achieving it. I would highly recommend you have 1 shop do all the work from start to finish.

If there is no metal in the oil and engine health has been verified by compression/leakdown, then just replace the turbo and do an oil change. Why spend the money and rebuild if you dont absolutely have to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So they haven’t tore it down yet but they got a code for cam overload and they are saying there is most likely scored cams. The turbine is making noise. I’ve only had the car for 4 month put about 5,000 miles on it. But the engine is consuming oil

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Ok then so based on your last reply, it sounds like a it needs a rebuild. Be careful with this, it may start off as a tear down and then once its all apart they most likely will tell you it needs an engine. Now you are left with the car apart and unusable. At that point you and pay to rebuild/replace or pay to put it all back together and still have a crap engine. Just be prepared to dish out the moneys.

I think you really need to decide if you want to keep this car or not. I think if you're going to rebuild/ replace the engine, then i would suggest you upgrade to a built forged short block. There are also long block options available too. Have you considered contacting reputable subaru shops in your area?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking and I’ve found places that are half the price to do a forged rebuild I’m in the Sacramento area and have a place a buddy tired me onto. I appreciate your response and help. Are there any online places to buy or should I just research shops? This is my first Subaru and would like to keep it but I guess it depends on my options

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Research shop in my opinion. Alot of shops will recommend using IAG built blocks. IAG and a few others are very popular when it comes to this stuff. Again, id highly recommend having 1 shop, diag, remove, rebuild, install, assemble, and tune. 1 shop from complete start to finish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you my guy....so my first step is getting out of the dealership hahaha then I will go from there I appreciate all your input

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
I agree completely with Jay . . . and we don't have enough info to tell you more. But, your not going to get a short block and a turbo and all the things you need with it, gaskets, water and oil pumps, a whole host of other things and labor at any normal rate for half of $10K. Also while its apart put a Killer-B oil pickup in there . . .another $200 . . . head studs . . .

Find a shop that knows Subies . . .

Reactions: Jay11STI

·
Registered
700 Posts
the easy ways to diagnose the car issue without much effort are:
Testing the coolant for oil in it. (Headgasket)
Compression Test (rings) and Leakdown (valves)
Dropping the oil pan and looking for debris(Broken turbo pieces piston, rings, rods or bearing pieces)

and I agree that taking it to a good subaru shop is important. I will emphasize that this is not going to be a cheap process.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you want to keep the car long term and if you have the engine out, you should consider new clutch/flywheel, air pump delete, TGV delete, fuel system/stock location turbo upgrade, machining the heads/valve job , maybe a couple other items I'm forgetting. You'll basically pay the same for labor but get a vastly superior engine. Car will be completely transformed with a new turbo and good tuning. I went to Cobb 20g turbo/Grimmspeed TMIC when doing my rebuild (extra $2000). Making power all the way to 7k rpm and still easily a daily driver @ 360whp.

Not sure of your mileage and budget but I think you could do all that for about $12-13k. Easy for me to spend your money...LOL.

Subaru should build them somewhat like this from the start.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
MY experience is similar except that my engine was simply worn out at 7 years old and 185Km mi. When it was rebuilt it was replace all things and my parts were more at least 12 or $13K - including Valve resurface, 1.5XTR, ACVS, header external waste-gate, wrap, EBC, intake, AOS, oil pickup, clutch, radiator, all new hoses . . . I might have mentioned spent more on the build than I did the car three years earlier :). But, the car I picked up was to me at the time totally amazing and addictive. I eagerly awaited leaving work to drive . . . BTW, I had already done suspension work and eliminated understeer. I already had the AP, mounts and CFDS. The build made better better tires a necessity and I went to performance summers and winters on their own wheels.

Subaru should build them somewhat like this from the start.
Exactly!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts