IW STi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's quite a story. I was at XXTuning from 9a.m this morning through 6.am tonight getting several non performance mods put on. Mods included installation of Rally armor mudflaps, a new group n strut top, shifter bushings and several other things to check out.

When the car was put on the lift, it was discovered that there was seapage of oil below the engine block, and around the crossmember area. The oil plugs, filter and several area were checked after this discovery but there were no answers. Christian and the mechanic said this needs to be taken care of as there can be many issues, whether it's an oil pump, or something with internals. They showed me in the problem area, and oil was definitely present in areas it should not have been (I am not mechanically inclined).

My choices are limited at this point. I'm at college in CT, and my dealership is back home in NY. I have to return completely to stock, and have subaru look at my engine block. Does anyone have any possible scenario's or solutions, that may help my position or decision process here?

Currently, I need to return home at some point, put together all my stock components, return to XXtuning, have my current setup uninstalled, and revamp to stock. The following week will be a trip to the subaru dealership back home in New York. Now my question is in regard to what may have caused this issue, and any ideas of what it could be? This car has never been drag raced, auto-x, street raced, or abused. It is my normal driver, and I have not beat on it at all. The car has 24,000 miles on it, and has not shown any signs of problems. Oil changes have been done at every interval, and I have not had any oil loss until this incident. I'm worried my Topspeed tune was too aggressive and the engine became compromised.

Reverting to stock is a costly decision, one that is going to cost me all my savings in regards to modifications in the near future. I am currently still under warranty, and from my options so far the best bet is to get to Subaru in the stockest form I can. Reverting to stock will require several hours of labor, and puts me in an even more difficult place, as the APS inlet takes hours of work, not to mention the stock inlet was never returned to me.

Is there any hope for me?

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
when my car was on the lift today i had a rather large oil leak and it was everywhere. It turned out that a hose popped out of th valve cover. It has the exact same symptioms as yours. check that before going back to stock.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any other feedback?

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
I think its silly to rip apart your car because you want to bring it back to the dealer.

I say bring it to a local trusted mechanic first, then see what the issue is. If you think you can get it covered under warranty, then take off your parts you think they will give you issues about. The only thing I see if the turbo inlet tube, maybe the intake.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
^^Exactly, I wouldn't take all your mods off until you KNOW what the problem is. Take it to a trusted mechanic...a lot of them will at least look at the car for no charge. If he finds out that it's something big, then demod the car and take it in for warrantee work. If it's no big deal, have him fix it and save yourself a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys... I'll find a mechanic before I blow through my savings to unmodify.

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
Honestly I wouldnt worry *too much* at this point. It could be something stupid or just overlooked. A subaru dealer would look at it anyways, then decided wether they would want to cover it under warranty. If not they would make you pay for the time spenting diagnosing the issue.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LightWerkz said:
Honestly I wouldnt worry *too much* at this point. It could be something stupid or just overlooked. A subaru dealer would look at it anyways, then decided wether they would want to cover it under warranty. If not they would make you pay for the time spenting diagnosing the issue.

Before going to subaru though, wouldn't it be suicide as a modded car, if it is in fact a problem with my shortblock?

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
I would clean off all the leaking oil and then monitor it to see where it is actually coming from. It make have just been some the leaked out during your last oil change or something. Usually if you are losing oil your going to notice it when you check oil levels or you will see something out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
FlyinbySTi said:
I would clean off all the leaking oil and then monitor it to see where it is actually coming from. It make have just been some the leaked out during your last oil change or something. Usually if you are losing oil your going to notice it when you check oil levels or you will see something out of the ordinary.
i agree. do this before you spend needless funds.

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
FlyinbySTi said:

*DING* *DING* *DING*

My race car went though 5 quarts of oil in a WEEKEND due to a leak (and normal useage). After that this is what i did to find the leak.

1. get 2-3 cans of brake cleaner
2. jack car up and clean, (yes i said clean) the underside of your engine, chassis and anything else you think you need too
3. start car, let run for a *good* amount of time (i did 15 min), under idle and giving it a little gas. then turn off car.
4. get back under and look. if you see oil, you found your leak. If not, button the car back up and drive it normally for the next two days. Then jack car up and look.

Once you are 100% sure you know where its comming from post up, or talk to a tuning shop and they can help you. Odds are it something really really simple to fix, like a hose, or a pan gasget. As long as you are not running the car too low (check it offen) on oil and its not all being burned, you car will run just fine.

after all subarus are hearty cars..:D

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Are you using a non-stock oil filter? I had a NAPA "Gold" filter leak, even after a 1/2 turn of the filter with a wrench, due to the gasket. It definitely went over the crossmember, bottom of the oil pan, etc. It wasn't huge leak but it did make a mess.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Also...dont forget that oil has a bad habit of defying gravity and flowing to the hottest part of your engine.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, I feel a whole lot better about this. The oil changes all have been performed by my subaru dealer. I've been running there oil and filters. The reason I go there is that my oil changes are only $14 bucks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts