IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive read a few posts about this but not all of them addessed all my questions.
So I am getting a new 06 in a few days and Im planning on changing my oil after 1k miles breakin period.

My question is what oil should I go for? Whats the diffrence between synthetic and regular...from what ive read it seems like you should use synthetic after about 10k miles? Also whats the diffrence between the oil number type like 5w30 or 10w30 etc?

SOA's maintanance schedual calls for an oil change every 7.5k miles...ive seen some post saying intervals as short as 3k miles. I plan on something in between like 5k...is that ok?

And last...how many quarts of oil do i need for an oil change?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I use Castrol GTX 5W30 regular dino oil. I have no plans to change to synthetic anytime soon and Im at 5k miles right now. My 1st oil change was at 1k and then 4k, so every 3k miles is when I plan on changing my oil. Its not that expensive so I dont see why not. Check the manual for the engine oil capacity, I think its like 4.7qts or something like that.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
get royal purple 5w30 its da bomb

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
My car had dino oil in it for the first 10k miles. I read somewhere that Subaru recommends that you run dino oil for at least 3k miles, but I don't remember where and I know it wasn't from anywhere official.

My car has 20k on it and it doesn't use any oil. So based on that, I might be inclined to believe that it would be beneficial to not switch to synthetic oil at least until the 3k mark.

So if it were my car, and I had bought it brand new, I would run something like Castrol GTX 5w-30 until about 3k then switch to a synthetic like German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 at that point.

·
Registered
690 Posts
mobile 1 syn-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts