IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great Post! I am going to do my first oil change and maintence on my 04 this weekend. I had a couple questions

Where are you guys taking the oil to get rid of it?

Also, i've been hearing different things reguarding oils, one of my friends has an 05 and he uses Full Synthetic Royal Purple 5-30, any suggestions for something that runs as smooth but doesnt cost $8 bucks a quart?
To find a oil recycling center near you look at Earth911.com - Find Recycling Centers and Learn How To Recycle and enter "oil" for what your recycling and then enter your zip code in the green bar at the top. All my local auto parts stores take oil. Its usually hidden in the back behind authorized personnel doors only signs. Go figure. I would call and ask before making any large trips. They take our oil filters also. This may vary by state as to which laws they follow. So again, call and ask.

As far as inexpensive oil, you might check out Valvoline 5w-30 SYNpower Full Synthetic. Looks like they have a rebate going on. See Valvoline SYNpower offers 4x wear protection than Mobil1 click on the red "get your synpower rebate" button. $10 off 5 quarts. Watch any local auto parts store / department store (walmart etc) fliers also.

Regards
Scott

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fumoto Drain valve FTW! after seeing so many overtorqued and stripped oil pans pass through a dealership....id suggest getting this valve since this is only the start of many oil changes...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fumoto Drain valve FTW! after seeing so many overtorqued and stripped oil pans pass through a dealership....id suggest getting this valve since this is only the start of many oil changes...
I have looked at those in the past. Just curious if you ever did the drain and then pull the Fumoto valve off and see how much more oil comes out? I keep thinking the threads will be up in the pan a bit preventing the bottom layer of oil from draining.

·
Registered
201 Posts
im sure there will be slightly more to come out....though to answer your question...havent removed it since my first oil change to say how much more comes out ...heres my question to you...next time you change oil..how deep is the thickness area of the drain plug?....though changing oil is way more fun and quicker...just a oil filter wrench...catch can and oil...

im sure there isnt gonna be a problem since i maintain my oil every 2500 miles....
though like every service youll never get 100% of the fluids out...take a cooling system service for example...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I have an 04 and I am not 100% sure if the layout is exactly the same. As far as how much oil you need to use, it might be different. I would check your owners manual and double check. I think the part numbers for the Oil filters and crush washers should be the same, but again double check. I also do not know about the oil drain plug as it might be bigger than what the 04 one is (as far as what socket/wrench you need to use to get it off). Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I have an 04 and I am not 100% sure if the layout is exactly the same. As far as how much oil you need to use, it might be different. I would check your owners manual and double check. I think the part numbers for the Oil filters and crush washers should be the same, but again double check. I also do not know about the oil drain plug as it might be bigger than what the 04 one is (as far as what socket/wrench you need to use to get it off). Hope that helps!
I think I'm too scared to do it myself, anyway, but thank you for the reply. :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I think I'm too scared to do it myself, anyway, but thank you for the reply. :)
I was too the first time I did mine because I had never done it before. If I could find someone around Central Washington that wants me to do their oil change then I could do an 08+ specific thread. I do believe that everything is the same minus how much oil you need.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I was too the first time I did mine because I had never done it before. If I could find someone around Central Washington that wants me to do their oil change then I could do an 08+ specific thread. I do believe that everything is the same minus how much oil you need.
That would be awesome.... I do want to do it, because it's so expensive to pay someone to do it, but I'm also a wuss, and it's a big investment up front. Plus, I'm moving soon and am not sure I'll even have a garage to do it in!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
That would be awesome.... I do want to do it, because it's so expensive to pay someone to do it, but I'm also a wuss, and it's a big investment up front. Plus, I'm moving soon and am not sure I'll even have a garage to do it in!
Yeah, and if you do not have the tools it is also somewhat of a pain. Here if I want my oil changed with synthetic oil its 75$+. Much cheaper and easier to do myself.

·
NASIOC Spy
282 Posts
Since this is the thread linked to in the "how to" catalog, can anyone verify that the torque spec for the 08 STi is the same as the previous years (32.5 ft/lb) ?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Since this is the thread linked to in the "how to" catalog, can anyone verify that the torque spec for the 08 STi is the same as the previous years (32.5 ft/lb) ?

According to the shop manual for the 08 it is the same torque.

Tightening torque:
44 N·m (4.5 kgf-m, 32.5 ft-lb)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
That sounds like a great idea. My car is slow low thought that everytime I do a change I have to put it up on 4 jack stands to get it to drain properly. Also I you have to get under there to change the filter too. For me its just easier to put it up on jack stands and do it the old fashioned way. I anyone wants to get one to mess around with please let me know how it goes! Thanks Peleg!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I havent installed the magnetic drain plug but the 08-09 magnetic drain plug will fit the older models as well (what I heard from the stealership).
I see well i guess the 5 buxs doesnt break the bank lol. Although paying 12 buxs for a mobil one oil filter is garbage grrr...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have had the opportunity to discuss this Technical Service Bulletin with our Technical Services Department. They advised that the mesh screen and banjo bolt only needs to be checked if the condition of the engine oil drained out of the vehicle is questionable or if when it is unknown when the engine oil was last changed.
Does that mean that this is no longer an issue on the '06 STi models?

Also, I was wondering what are differences the differences you can see/feel for different oils? Why do people like certain oils over others?

Thanks!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts