IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
My buddy worked as a suby mechanic for the last 4 years, and he said they would just throw those things away. I can't imagine it having any purpose other than some wind spoiler functionality.

uhhh... i might be a little pissed if i got my oil changed and when i got my car back parts of it were missing.

of course i haven't had someone else change my oil in a long time.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just an update!

I have switched to using Royal Purple 5-w30 Full Synthetic over the Mobil1 5-w30. A little more than the Mobil1 but what the hell. Everyone says its awesome so I am trying it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Changed my oil for the 1st time yesterday and I was going to take off the brush guard, but then i realized there was no need to. I was able simple to get a socket on the drain plug take it out, drain the oil without making ANY mess and i was able to reach in and pull out the oil filter, with very minimal mess. I got myself a rag and placed it below the oil filter so that the excess oil would drain right onto the rag. Re-installed the filter and did a quick wipe up of any spilt oil on the top portion of the brush guard... Saved me a little time since i didnt need to remove the brush guard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
did my oil change today. thanks for the write up. Does anyone know the size bolt that holds the underpanel up? im missing a few of them. using royal purple 5w30 and moble 1 (M1-108) oil filter

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have switched to using Royal Purple 5-w30 Full Synthetic over the Mobil1 5-w30. A little more than the Mobil1 but what the hell. Everyone says its awesome so I am trying it.
Meh, Royal Purple 5W-30 isn't well thought of over on the BITOG oil forums, there are a few UOA's over there on this oil where it sheared out-of-grade down to a 20-weight oil in a short amount of miles (< 3,000 miles, IIRC).

Give Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (a.k.a., "German Castrol" or simply "GC") a try sometime. It's a "thick" 30-weight oil (almost a 40-weight) that has proven itself well in many different vehicles. I've been using it for approx. 25,000 miles in my STi and have a stack of good UOA results from it (all posted over on BITOG). Anyway, nice write-up!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oil change just got more complicated.

Good write up.

I was in the middle of getting a resupply of filters crush washers and such when I ran across a couple of service bullitens from Subaru on the Amsoil web site this last week.

The not so bad one here
Subaru Bulletin Number 02-97-05.
See Turbo Oil Starvation and Subaru Vehicles** 11

The bad one here.
Subaru Bulletin Number 02-103-07
See http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/02-103-07.pdf

Discussion here
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/105993-turbo-oil-starvation-bulletin.html
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/106437-don-t-kill-your-turbo-pull-your-filter-discussion.html
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/118474-banjo-union-bolt-removal-re-install.html

I emailed Subaru on that last service bulletin. The bulletin is so poorly written as I don't know the following; if you can check it without draining oil, replace or just clean filter as needed, what the banjo bolt part number is, what all needs to be removed to access the bolt. I asked for a procedure with pictures. Still waiting to see what I will get from them. They said they were researching it in a reply. From threads above it looks like we are to remove the filter. I will wait for a official answer from Subaru though that I can keep with my records.

As a suggestion you might list the following Subaru part numbers on your write up. Makes it easy to order from online sources if someones dealer is a hassle for some reason.
Oil Filter 15208AA100 (link given to it but did not write the part number)
Drain Plug crush washer 11126AA000 (included with oil filters if you get the filters from the link given in the write up) (I just got a bunch they are not expensive)
Plastic push pin Clips 57728AC090 (4 used on skid plate) (worth haveing a couple extra in case you break some or they are getting difficult to pop off)
Magnetic Oil drain plug 32103KA000 (thanks swr999)
Banjo Bolt 14445AA090 (with Turbo screen filter) (I am still waiting on Subaru official recommendation)
Gasket 803912040 (for Banjo Bolt)

You might also point out the locations of the plastic push pin clips on your brush guard picture. (two largest holes on the far right and left sides (4 total)).

---------------------------------------------------
My 2 cents on oil and filter. Ignore if your mind is set.
---------------------------------------------------
I use regular Amsoil 5w-30 for what that's worth. I switched after a 1000 mile break in on dinosaur oil. I change oil and filter every 3k. No problems. I came to that conclusion with 4 ball wear tests. I also have been using the Amsoil Ea012 synthetic media oil filter. I quit using Subaru oil filters when they changed from part number 15208AA080 to a cheaper manufacturer that had leak problems; part number 15208AA09A. This is different than the 15208AA100 Subaru now recomends. It was a white filter. I think I read somewhere it was made by WIX. Better information on the Amsoil oil filters can be seen here AMSOIL - AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter (EaO). Anyways to each there own. I may have just fallen into Amsoil marketing hype. I suggest you do a search on various forums to come to your own conclusions. I wish a major magazine would do a big independant test on oils and filters. I would pay extra to read it.

Regards
Scott

·
Registered
51 Posts
Offical word I got from Subaru.
Hello Mr. xxxxxx:

Thank you for your patience. I have had the opportunity to discuss this Technical Service Bulletin with our Technical Services Department. They advised that the mesh screen and banjo bolt only needs to be checked if the condition of the engine oil drained out of the vehicle is questionable or if when it is unknown when the engine oil was last changed.
If you follow our maintenance recommendations and are replacing the engine oil in your 2004 WRX STI every 3,750 miles or 3.75 months, you should not have to check the mesh screen in the banjo bolt. You would not need to check it every time you change the oil in your 2004 WRX STI. You do not need to drain the oil to check the mesh screen. If it is dirty or clogged, it should be replaced. The part number for the banjo bolt for your 2004 WRX STI is 14445AA060.
If you need technical information, we would refer you to our Technical Information Web site. Once on our home page, Subaru.com Homepage, use the 'SUBARU OWNERS' heading to select the 'Technical Information' option. You will then be linked to our online Technical Publications Web site. Instructions are on this Web site on how to subscribe and/or purchase publications.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please let us know.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
So it looks like screen stays in for the turbo on stock vehicles for warranty at least.
Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great Post! I am going to do my first oil change and maintence on my 04 this weekend. I had a couple questions

Where are you guys taking the oil to get rid of it?

Also, i've been hearing different things reguarding oils, one of my friends has an 05 and he uses Full Synthetic Royal Purple 5-30, any suggestions for something that runs as smooth but doesnt cost $8 bucks a quart?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I hold on to my oil and take it downtown to my dump where they can dispose of it. As to which oil you want to use, everyone has their favorite, just get what you want as long as its full synthetic.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts