IW STi Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,243 Posts
talked with my builder today. For a bottom end rebuild to SAFELY build early torque they wanted a HUGE amount of $.

So awaiting a quote for their flex-fuel kit, ELH and up-pipe.

Thanks for the info everybody

Thread never quite got there cause your never going to have much torque until after your turbo spools - and nothing you will realistically do is going to change that "much" - even if our bottom end would hold up. You add power where it already exists - particularly at the high end where the stock engine runs out. If you add that much power you're probably spending that 'HUGE" amount and are still not planning on the torque you desire.

Back to V8 posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
The ELH is well worth it for the low end torque you are looking for.
agreed moves the whole dyno graph to the left. I have Killer B headers pretty much stage 3 stock turbo and I am sure there are a lot of cars with way more horsepower.

Torque at 3600rpm was 338.15 and max hp 287.45 at 5500rpm

I compared my dyno graph with others that make way more HP but there torque is maxed way above the 3600rpm my setup has. After getting a new ACT HD clutch it is spooky fast I think the clutch had been slipping when I got tuned so robbed me of some power . You may also have to look into budgeting a new clutch as well torque kills clutches. This setup makes merging on the freeway quite easy. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
thanks all

definitely going with headers, flex-fuel kit and up-pipe.

I have been quoted a Tial MVR EWG as well, is something that I really need with a stock turbo? Along with previous mods, on E-85 car should be close to 350hp/400tq on stock turbo. Def the limit of the stock turbo.

If I do get the EWG I am going to have them plumb the waste gas back to exhaust. Does that also make it not worthwhile?

·
Premium Member
5,243 Posts
If I do get the EWG I am going to have them plumb the waste gas back to exhaust. Does that also make it not worthwhile?
Makes it tolerable :) If its plumbed well the difference will be small.

·
Registered
297 Posts
thanks all

definitely going with headers, flex-fuel kit and up-pipe.

I have been quoted a Tial MVR EWG as well, is something that I really need with a stock turbo? Along with previous mods, on E-85 car should be close to 350hp/400tq on stock turbo. Def the limit of the stock turbo.

On E85 (content being 80%) I made fat torque to the wheels from 3k-4k it was 430 ish wtq. The car is tuned conservative as well.

Just and FYI...with no E85 on California Pump 91 it make 350 ish wtq in that RPM range.

·
Registered
379 Posts
This won't add more torque, but will feel the same.

You can lighten rotating mass. The easiest way is to go for lighter wheels. This gave me the biggest gain. Next would be a lighter flywheel. I use a 13.3lbs Exedy lightweight flywheel. No CELs ever.

Other rotating parts that can be lightened and their disadvantages are:

Crank Pulley - Lots on controversy whether or not it is a harmonic damper. At high rpms, I noticed more vibrations and doesn't pull as hard. I took it off after a few months.

CF Driveshaft - Not cost effective. The effect is not as great as the others because of the low polar moment of the removed mass.

·
Premium Member
5,243 Posts
Does that mean the increased torque can also be the cause of rodknock???
Truth is no one has suggested they understand the STI bearing issue, but we know they fail "too often" and it is catastrophic. We also know lugging any engine is hard on bearings and it should be avoided. Lugging an engine under boost is the worst for that engine.

Not lugging may not save your engine, but at least you'll know you didn't unnecessarily shorten their life.

Lugging is poor driving technique. If you have boost you have it because you need torque. You'll gain effective torque by downshiftin to raise rpm. A stock STI sweet Spotify 3500-5800rpm, but if you are accelerating hard you want to downshift into the lower part of that range - say 4000rpm.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts