IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain the differences between the different engine management electronics that are (or will be) out there? At the moment, I know of Greddy e-manage, UTEC, and XEDE. What are the differences between these?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
The main feature that UTEC has is that its plug and play. No splicing and cutting of wires. The others can do some of the things UTEC can, but i think UTEC is just a much more advanced system. Like the AEM. UTEC hasnt been released yet, but from what they could tell me... its going to be much better then the UTEC for the WRX. So I guess just read up on that and expect more :).

Robert~

·
Registered
949 Posts
anyone else know about this:

a quote from an email i received from speedsport technik regarding engine management:
"We already have UNICHIP engine management for the Sit vehicles in stock
and we are getting excellent results. The unichip with both dyno and
road tuning is between $1800-$2100 depending on the level of your mods.
We are also the distributor for APS for the Northeastern U.S. and have a
host of products available for the Sit already in stock"

excuse the mispell of sti, but i had no idea there was a full engine management already available?
but dang, it's pricey!
anyone have any experience with unichip in the past?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Turbo XS used to use it on the WRX's but they no longer do. The Unichip is kind of like an E-Manage but with boost control. It alters the vehicle timing and fuel signals but unlike the Unichip, the E-Manage will add fuel by actually keeping the injectors open as long as you tell it to so it is a bit more accurate. They both use MAF voltage to correct for less fuel. Now keep in mind that the E-manage is only $350 with the harness and does allow use programmability (with optional software and cable) and also datalogging (also with software and cable).

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Who reflashes the ECU map and is most reputable and reliable and provides a significant enhancement in performance?

·
Registered
357 Posts
No one reflashed the stock ECU yet. Cobb Tuning is working on it. I'm not a big fan of reflashing the stock ECU unless it is a very mild setup. There is a great propensity for screwing things up when you reflash the stock ECU. I have tested a few cars with them and they have varied from worse than stock to almost as good as a UTEC. The UTEC is more powerful than the e-manage since it actually has it's own injector and timing drivers on the board instead of altering stock signal. It is of course more expensive as well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Where's North Carolina?

Although the UTEC is more expensive than the E-manage, the UTEC can control boost, correct? So when you compare price of UTEC vs price of E-manage+E01 to accomplish the same things, the UTEC seems to offer more for the same cost.

UTEC also allows you to have 4 custom maps selectable by the driver as opposed to 2 with the E-manage/E01 setup, correct?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well number one the E-01 offers a far more sophisticated way of controlling boost as well as a larger data display to actually see what everything is doing and be able to play back data logging. E-01 even allows you to adjust E-manage programming if you like. I often use EBC in conjunction with the UTEC on a lot of the larger turbo setups because either I am using external wastegate (which the UTEC is aweful at controlling) or because I simply prefer the control and overboost safety measures an EBC offers me.
You can store as many E-Manage maps on your laptop as you like but of course you need the laptop to switch betwwen them. In that sense the UTEC is far easier with a remote switch able to switch maps at the touch of a button.
Nivek, I have never used any reflash myself but have tested a variety of reflashes from Cobb and from a variety of Ecutek dealers. The Cobb units seem to be better tuning in most cases but it varies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
comments/questions about sti mods/sti vendors

go to a true stanalone like electromotive tec3, accel dfi, haltech e6k, etc, there is engine management out there already thats better than this piggy back crap

·
Registered
949 Posts
xcceleration.com is advertising an eng mngmt unit called dastek i believe.
the afforementioned aps dealer has unichip.
there are some others i believe, but it seems like most people are awaiting utec.
why is this?
are they truly the best solution, or are their other choices with as much functionality?

·
Registered
23 Posts
go check out accel dfi or electromotive tec3, it requries a timely installation, but it is the best solution in my opinion. it is no secret that dfi is among the best choices out there, along with FAST or speepro, look around people please, there is tons of stuff out there just LOOK. and as far as power, go over to honda-tech to see what people are making out of 1.8 liter hondas, pretty amazing stuff, close to 700 whp

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gonelaxin,
Are any of these ECUs better than the TurboXS UTEC or the Vishnu XEDE? I wouldn't think so, as the UTEC and XEDE will be STi-specific ECUs, while those you list are 'generic'. Do you have any data on running these ECUs on a WRX/STi (i.e. performance gains)? I, for one, would not buy any of these ECUs without data when TurboXS and Vishnu have a proven performance track record working with Subarus, and who will be providing performance data with their ECUs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
do i have dyno graphs, no, are they generic, kinda, i mean each unit either accel, electromotive has to be custom wired. is this costly yes, but are the gains greater than a utec or other plug and play devices, 99% yes, since i have no proof in the use on a subaru, i cannot say with 100% accuracy. I can however say that the features and tunability of these units far surpasses those of the units you have mentioned. ceheck out
http://www.mrgasket.com/dfimain.html or http://www.electromotive-inc.com/products/tec3.html to do the research yourself. i admit if something around 350 whp is your goal this may not be for you, but for the best in performance definately check them out. i cannot convince you what is best, but if you read and do the research it will become clearcut whats the best stuff. there is a reason that hardcore hp racers use this stuff. like i said all this stuff is custom which i am a huge believer in, for instance when i ditched my hondata which is essntially like a utec for my dfi i gained 35 whp on my turbo integra and i have those dyno plots, i see no reason why the same results would be repeated if not increased on the ej25

·
Registered
949 Posts
and another update regarding engine management for our sti's:
Chris,
Thanks for the interest,
We have just received info that we can now ECUTEK STi's. We're very excited, since we believe that Ecutek is the best system, since it's not an piggy back but a true reprogramming of the factory computer. We have had tremendous success with our wrx's and ecutek. However, we are in middle of moving locations and will be moving our all-wheel drive dyno mid january.
please stay in touch. We'll be ready for all our customers by the 20th of January.

Ali
ESX

this was a response from easystreet. i guess we'll have to wait a little longer for info on pricing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts