IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow sti owners… I own a 2013 sti and have been having some big issues with it, so let’s start from the beginning. About 4 months ago it was throwing a code about uneven crankshaft wear after I only replaced the coils and sparks on one side(didn’t have time for the other), but I ignored it and kept erasing the code. Then about it 3 months ago while going about 80 on the highway the engine stalled out. Tried to restart but heard a whirring noise. Brought it to a Subaru dealership and a week and 300 dollars later they determine that the engine block was locked up, but they didn’t tell me what caused it. They offered 10k to put in a stock engine block and I immediately refused and got it towed home. From here I just had it sit in my garage trying to figure out what to do to it. Fast forward to last night I decided to get a new battery for it since the old one was dead, replaced the battery, and decided to try starting it. It made the same whirring sound but then started right up. It ran perfectly fine I didn’t notice anything odd at idle. Pulled it out of the garage and noticed I had no power steering. I then took a look in the engine and noticed my serpentine belt was gone, and I found it sitting in the back seat of the car split in half. So my question is this: did the serpentine cause all the issues I was having such as stalling out, or was in the mechanics who cut it to take a look in the engine to determine what my issue is. Still don’t know what I’m gonna do with it but as far as I know I don’t believe I need a new engine block.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
184 Posts
Do you happen to have the original code that it threw? Never heard of uneven crankshaft wear code, but thinking it was a code for crank and/or camshaft position sensor but would be nice to confirm what it was.

Given the dead battery, is it possible that you just had a failing alternator and the battery went dead, causing the start to spin, but not extend out and grab the flywheel?

IMO, I'd pull the starter and alternator and have them tested. Or, with the car running measure voltage to see if the alternator is charging. I also have a strange inclination to try and spin the alternator by hand to see if it spins freely....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you happen to have the original code that it threw? Never heard of uneven crankshaft wear code, but thinking it was a code for crank and/or camshaft position sensor but would be nice to confirm what it was.

Given the dead battery, is it possible that you just had a failing alternator and the battery went dead, causing the start to spin, but not extend out and grab the flywheel?

IMO, I'd pull the starter and alternator and have them tested. Or, with the car running measure voltage to see if the alternator is charging. I also have a strange inclination to try and spin the alternator by hand to see if it spins freely....
Thank you for the suggestions man. Prolly will get around to it tomorrow or Friday but anyway I’ll check back in when I do

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Hello fellow sti owners… I own a 2013 sti and have been having some big issues with it, so let’s start from the beginning. About 4 months ago it was throwing a code about uneven crankshaft wear after I only replaced the coils and sparks on one side(didn’t have time for the other), but I ignored it and kept erasing the code. Then about it 3 months ago while going about 80 on the highway the engine stalled out. Tried to restart but heard a whirring noise. Brought it to a Subaru dealership and a week and 300 dollars later they determine that the engine block was locked up, but they didn’t tell me what caused it. They offered 10k to put in a stock engine block and I immediately refused and got it towed home. From here I just had it sit in my garage trying to figure out what to do to it. Fast forward to last night I decided to get a new battery for it since the old one was dead, replaced the battery, and decided to try starting it. It made the same whirring sound but then started right up. It ran perfectly fine I didn’t notice anything odd at idle. Pulled it out of the garage and noticed I had no power steering. I then took a look in the engine and noticed my serpentine belt was gone, and I found it sitting in the back seat of the car split in half. So my question is this: did the serpentine cause all the issues I was having such as stalling out, or was in the mechanics who cut it to take a look in the engine to determine what my issue is. Still don’t know what I’m gonna do with it but as far as I know I don’t believe I need a new engine block.
^^found your biggest issue.

you may have got lucky. i'd do as suggested above, check battery/alt/starter and replace the belt. then have it looked at by a subaru performance shop (not a stealership), and have a compression/leakdown test done. that'll tell you if the motor is good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the suggestions man. Prolly will get around to it tomorrow or Friday but anyway I’ll check back in when I do
alright so I wasn’t able to put the a/c belt in since I didn’t have the proper tools, but I was able to get the power steering/alternator belt in. Started it up and it didn’t seem to have any difference on anything. I checked oil level and coolant level oil is about a quart low but doesn’t look bad and coolant was low so I put a bit more in to top it off. Took out the negative terminal on the battery and car kept running so can’t be alternator, so I kinda just left it running for a sec and eventually rpm’s started to drop and kept going to about 700 rpm and kept bouncing off that for about 30 seconds. During this time I kept noticing a knocking sound from the engine and it sounded like it was coming from inside the engine block. I kinda just let the car keep running and bouncing off 700 rpm until it finally stalled. Also probably important to note is that if I ever gave it some gas to keep it from stalling it stalled no matter what, as well as brake pressure was only slightly relieved. Here is a photo of some of the stuff that came out the exhaust when I checked. At this point idk what imma do I’m definitely not selling the car I love it to death but I also want to drive it, and I feel like going all out on a high hrspr engine block would reduce the daily drivability a little bit, but if that’s what’s required and most cost efficient then I will probably do that compared to trying to fix my current one.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
thats alot of carbon or whatever it is...sounds like bearings are probably gone. if you decide to build the motor its all about doing everything correctly and not just slapping parts together...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts