IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am just past the 700 mi. mark (I know, I know, get it broken in already) and have noticed that in the past 200 mi. or so, my engine feels and sounds different after it has warmed up. It seems to get slightly rougher and a touch noisier at that point. Previously, I would not really notice any difference.

I posted awhile back that while driving it one night it seemed to lose a little enthusiasm and sounded different. I still get that now ever since then, only when warmed up.

Note I have not had a chance to open 'er up or get above 4k yet for obvious reasons. So when I say "loses enthusiasm", I guess I mean it doesn't seem to want to give that little pull between 3k and 4k at about half throttle like it used to when warmed up. Unfortunately I can't be more scientific because I can't conduct any power testing until I finish the break in.

I guess what I'm wondering is, did anyone notice their engine start sounding different or "feeling" different during the break in?

I don't appear to be breaking any oil and have not seen any engine warnings come on. AFAIK everything is running great.

Thoughts? TIA.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also noticed a lot of changes to my STI’s feel during and after break-in. Heck, I still think the car feels like it has 75 less horsepower than the day before only to have it feel strong again later.

I believe (please someone correct me if I’m wrong) but the difference we feel is due to the slightly goofy ECU the car has. Apparently it is a little schizophrenic in how it deals with timing. For example, my car will have ping one minute and then never do it again for weeks (93 octane). The ECU seems to be constantly relearning, therefore advancing and reducing the timing on the car depending on conditions.

In short, I’ve decided to live with the fact that the car feels like a 5.0 second 0-60 car some days and a 6.0 second car the next. It always seems to be as fast as it should be most of the time however.

Hope this helps!

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
When I first saw the subject line I wanted to say, of course a warm engine feels different...it feels warmer! :wink:

But it seems from what others have said is that you get used to the power. Dyno it sometime to see if it's still gettin the power you expect. As long as you properly break-in the car (don't drive long distances at a constant speed, for example) you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
my car feels excellent once its warmed up. i have around 1800 miles on my car now and it still packs the same punch it always has. during break-in i thought that the car felt strong up to the 4000rpm limit. once you break your car in and can take it all the way to 7000rpm shifts i'm sure any doubts you have about loss of power will be dismissed.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crashsti said:
once you break your car in and can take it all the way to 7000rpm shifts i'm sure any doubts you have about loss of power will be dismissed.
Probably. 8) Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Right now I have a 99 Integra (getting my STi early Dec.) and it's very weird about feeling good one day and not another. Alot of things that I have contributed it to:
-I have a front mount intake and the pipe get's hot if I leave the car for a little while without moving it (say to run into the store), so the air is hotter when I restart it.
-The outside temp (HUGE differences here now with the FMAI)
-Gas - if you find a good place, stick with it

BTW, I do long weekend trips to PA (~400 miles) every weekend. What should do about the break in period during this time?!?!?! Just keep speeding up and lsowing down??! ;)
J-

·
Registered
452 Posts
I get the same feeling all the time. I cannot quite prove it scientifically, but I can feel rather large performance differences between days and sometimes, even runs. I wish I had a better perf monitor (gauges, computers and what not) so that I could tie the perceived performance discrepancies to actionable items.

Maybe I should get a PSI S.E.C.S. ... :)

-Rich

·
Registered
65 Posts
Shift knob

SabreOfSD said:
Right now I have a 99 Integra (getting my STi early Dec.) and it's very weird about feeling good one day and not another. Alot of things that I have contributed it to:
-I have a front mount intake and the pipe get's hot if I leave the car for a little while without moving it (say to run into the store), so the air is hotter when I restart it.
-The outside temp (HUGE differences here now with the FMAI)
-Gas - if you find a good place, stick with it

BTW, I do long weekend trips to PA (~400 miles) every weekend. What should do about the break in period during this time?!?!?! Just keep speeding up and lsowing down??! ;)
J-
Shift. Run it in 5th, then 6th, then 5th, then maybe 4th for a minute, etc, etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts