IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 wrx stage 2 and just recently when accelerating in 4th and 5th gear it feels like the engine bogs. There's little acceleration in speed. Could it be my fuel regulator? Anything helps. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
We need more information boss. Do you have a cobb access port? A bad regulator is probably not the issue. Please post all your mods and a better discription and I would be glad to help you out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We need more information boss. Do you have a cobb access port? A bad regulator is probably not the issue. Please post all your mods and a better discription and I would be glad to help you out.
I am stage 2. I have a v3 accessport. Cold air intake, turbo heat shield, catted downpipe, and the spt exhaust. Not pushing a lot of power. Only about 13-14 psi. When you get on it on the freeway in 4th or 5th gear it just seems like the engine is stuttering or boggling. Not sure what this could be. Talked to a guy at rallysportdirect in slc Utah. He suggested I check out the fuel regulator but I am not sure

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am stage 2. I have a v3 accessport. Cold air intake, turbo heat shield, catted downpipe, and the spt exhaust. Not pushing a lot of power. Only about 13-14 psi. When you get on it on the freeway in 4th or 5th gear it just seems like the engine is stuttering or boggling. Not sure what this could be. Talked to a guy at rallysportdirect in slc Utah. He suggested I check out the fuel regulator but I am not sure
So not pro tuned? Or are you doing the tuning? 14 psi? Is the engine light on? When are you starting these pulls and how far into the rpm range are you wringing it out to?

My suggestion would be to put the stock intake back in, reset the ecu to the appropriate cobb map for you mods. And drive it again. The stumble rally sport is talking about only happens between 2800 to 3100 ish then open loop fuel fueling does its thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So in 4th and 5rh gear your still hitting 13-14 psi? I'm slightly confused. Say your on the freeway doing 65mph in 4th gear and you floor it. What happens? Does it buck? Misfire? Or is smooth but it feels slow? Do you have a wideband? Intake without a pro tune could be the issue. Have you checked your spark plugs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So not pro tuned? Or are you doing the tuning? 14 psi? Is the engine light on? When are you starting these pulls and how far into the rpm range are you wringing it out to?

My suggestion would be to put the stock intake back in, reset the ecu to the appropriate cobb map for you mods. And drive it again. The stumble rally sport is talking about only happens between 2800 to 3100 ish then open loop fuel fueling does its thing.
I am not aware of a protune. I purchased the car last may with it already being stage 2. So I do not have the stock intake. The engine light is not on. I can try and purchase a stock intake, but I'm not sure if that's the problem. On the freeway is where I notice the stuttering. From 3,000 to redline.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So in 4th and 5rh gear your still hitting 13-14 psi? I'm slightly confused. Say your on the freeway doing 65mph in 4th gear and you floor it. What happens? Does it buck? Misfire? Or is smooth but it feels slow? Do you have a wideband? Intake without a pro tune could be the issue. Have you checked your spark plugs?
If I floor it in 4th going 65, it acts like it wants to accelerate but then it feels like the engine just stutters. Like it can't. I'm trying my best to explain it haha it's really weird. I was going to check the spark plugs but the guy at rallysport told me about the fuel regulator. So I'm just trying to get in the general direction so I'm not fixing and replacing parts that don't necessarily need to be replaced. And yes, in 4th and 5th still 13-14 psi. So a Cobb map, is that just a tune or is that a protune? Or is a protune on a dyno? Sorry for all the questions just wanting to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am not aware of a protune. I purchased the car last may with it already being stage 2. So I do not have the stock intake. The engine light is not on. I can try and purchase a stock intake, but I'm not sure if that's the problem. On the freeway is where I notice the stuttering. From 3,000 to redline.
You bought the car last may and its always been at 14psi no matter what you do to it? Was there any previous tuning history on the car?

Pro tune is when you get tuned on the dyno with a tuner.

Are you in s# or s? Even the stock map was 17.5 psi for me on a bad day wide open throttle. If you only see 14psi you might have a boost leak somewhere causing the car to constantly try amd correct fueling and make it feel like its bogging.

Try to get boost leak tested and correct what you find. The tmic coupler and inlet can cause some wierd things to happen if there are tears in it or if they come off.

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
I'm going with plugs as being a possibility if you have a higher mileage car. Additionally, without logs, fuel trims, nor knowing what the AFR is, we're just kind of guessing.

Are you in s# or s? Even the stock map was 17.5 psi for me on a bad day wide open throttle. If you only see 14psi you might have a boost leak somewhere causing the car to constantly try amd correct fueling and make it feel like its bogging.
I have a 2011 wrx stage 2
It's always in S#. ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm going with plugs as being a possibility if you have a higher mileage car. Additionally, without logs, fuel trims, nor knowing what the AFR is, we're just kind of guessing.

It's always in S#. ;)
😂😂😂😂😂 i need to learn how to reskim things when they pop back up again. Thanks! Agreed that its def hard to know without logs and afrs.

Not sure of the details for the cobb stage 2 for Wrx with intake is boost wise.

Not that i wanna be off topic but did you solve your borg warner efr turbo set up yet yamahaSHO? And if you have a chance can you maybe chime in on my thread for going to rotated x3576r?

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
Not that i wanna be off topic but did you solve your borg warner efr turbo set up yet yamahaSHO? And if you have a chance can you maybe chime in on my thread for going to rotated x3576r?
Are you talking about the IWG and holding boost? I haven't done anything more yet, but plan to tighten the actuator a little more. It's an IWG, although a very good one, it won't ever behave like an EWG, but we'll see how close we can get it. I seem to spend more time on other peoples cars in this regard than I do on mine... Mainly because I just want to drive and if it's making good power and not blowing up, I'm having fun.

I'll take a look at the thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You bought the car last may and its always been at 14psi no matter what you do to it? Was there any previous tuning history on the car?

Pro tune is when you get tuned on the dyno with a tuner.

Try to get boost leak tested and correct what you find. The tmic coupler and inlet can cause some wierd things to happen if there are tears in it or if they come off.
The most psi I've pushed in this car is 18. And that was the first 6 months I had it. It pushed 16-17 easy. Now it's only 13-14. I'll have to get it checked for boost leaks. The only "tune" I know of is the Cobb stage 2 before I bought it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The most psi I've pushed in this car is 18. And that was the first 6 months I had it. It pushed 16-17 easy. Now it's only 13-14. I'll have to get it checked for boost leaks. The only "tune" I know of is the Cobb stage 2 before I bought it.
I see. I figured it would be around there. But as yamahasho said. Its hard without logs to tell. Boost leak tests every now and then dont hurt. But if there is any service history you should see when they did plugs last or if ever. Or even just pull the plugs and take a look at their conditions.

I like to check before i spend money. Im cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look at your DAM as well. If it is low enough, it'll start dropping boost, timing, and fueling.
I will try and take a look at all of the different possibilities this weekend. Might not be able to get a lot done, got school to deal with but I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I also forgot to mention that I also have a gofastbits blow off valve. Which im not sure if that could be causing the problem or not.

I couldn't get around to checking out any problems. Hopefully this weekend lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I figured out the issue a while back. It was my top mount inter cooler to throttle body hose that had warped and was causing a major boost leak. I ordered a new Perrin hose and it’s a direct fit and holds boost 100% better than stock.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts