IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope that the following link (and subsequent information to follow) will put to rest the question of whether or not the STi pings:

http://www.vishnutuning.com/sti_dyno.htm

I've excerpted this quote: "On California 91 octane, the STi detonates/pings audibly between 4000 and 4500RPM. This is very surprising and somewhat discouraging for a stock car..."

Shiv is a well-respected tuner. I am extremely interested to see if he is able to tune around the brain-dead ECU.

I am not suggesting that *every* STi pings, but I think it's interesting that every STi that a tuner has put on the dyno does. This solidifies my belief that Subaru must fix this issue under warranty as soon as possible.

That said, I personally and still going to buy an STi. But those out there who continue to believe that STi ping is some kind of myth or anomaly should realize that it is definitely a common occurence. Even if Shiv can fix it, I don't care--it shouldn't come broken from the factory. I should not have to pay money to make my car run correctly. I should not have to use fuel additives. I should not have to change plugs. It should just work right.

Listening, Subaru?

-ch

·
Registered
99 Posts
I dont think I've seen a single post from anyone who claims none of the STIs out there ping... have you found differently? People (myself included) have said that their STI does not ping, but I dont remember anyone saying that non of the STIs ping.

hyperion said:
I hope that the following link (and subsequent information to follow) will put to rest the question of whether or not the STi pings:

http://www.vishnutuning.com/sti_dyno.htm

I've excerpted this quote: "On California 91 octane, the STi detonates/pings audibly between 4000 and 4500RPM. This is very surprising and somewhat discouraging for a stock car..."

Shiv is a well-respected tuner. I am extremely interested to see if he is able to tune around the brain-dead ECU.

I am not suggesting that *every* STi pings, but I think it's interesting that every STi that a tuner has put on the dyno does. This solidifies my belief that Subaru must fix this issue under warranty as soon as possible.

That said, I personally and still going to buy an STi. But those out there who continue to believe that STi ping is some kind of myth or anomaly should realize that it is definitely a common occurence. Even if Shiv can fix it, I don't care--it shouldn't come broken from the factory. I should not have to pay money to make my car run correctly. I should not have to use fuel additives. I should not have to change plugs. It should just work right.

Listening, Subaru?

-ch

·
Registered
243 Posts
Everyone knows that it some are pinging I believe. I think most of us are tired of hearing about the problem, just want to hear solutions.

Patience is a virtue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts