IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About me;

I have been an avid autocrosser since 2012. My previous autox vehicle was a 2013 BRZ, which is a fun car but lacks power imo. My decision to purchase a 2015 STI was made last summer, when I co-drove a friend's 2010 STI for a couple of events. Being a previous customer of Clint @ Heuberger Motors, I asked him to let me know when preorders started, he did, and I placed a deposit in October 2013. I subsequently ordered a CWP base STI with no options or accessories on 2/14/14. The received the vehicle on 4/24/14.

2014 results
1st place B-Street Washington DC Region SCCA 2014
4th place overall Capital Driving Club

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Current Status:

OE dry weight stock = 3308 lbs
Approximate current weight = 3217.4 lbs

Installed:

Moroso catch cans +5.5 lbs 4/24/14
Tomei catback -32.6 lbs 5/2/14
Whiteline 22mm rear sway bar +1.9 lbs 7/13/14 (Stiff setting)
Hawk HP+ Brake Pads +2 lbs 9/26/14
18x9.5 Mach 5 Wicked Awesome wheels with 245/40 Bridgestone RE-71R -17.6 lbs rotational mass 11/17/14
KillerBee holy header -10.9 lbs 11/17/14
Cobb double adjustable shifter, knob, and bushings -.4 lb 11/17/14
Nameless downpipe -6.2 lbs 11/17/14
RCE Tarmac 2 coilovers (500/500) inc. Whiteline tophats -7.1 lbs 11/17/14
RacerX rear lower control arms +.4 lb 11/17/14
AEM CAI -4.5 lbs 11/17/14
Foglight delete -1.1 lbs 11/17/14
Ecutek tune by John Visconti 11/17/14
Ballistic LiFe Evo2-HD16 Battery -26.1lbs 4/2/15
Cusco Motor & Trans Mounts +4.7lbs 4/5/15
Whiteline rear subframe bushings +1.4lbs 4/2/15

Alignment:

Camber= -3 F -1.5 R
Caster= 4.8 (est)
Toe= .4" out F .6 in" R

Parts awaiting purchase:

Seats

Girodisc rotors

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interested in Tomei Titanium Fitment
The exhaust is sitting in my garage. I'm just waiting on the car. Hopefully this weekend, but I'm less and less confident that will happen every day.

I have to say that the Tomei exhaust really is exquisite. Great bends, perfect welds, and a flush interior. The whole system is 10.8lbs according to my scale.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The exhaust is sitting in my garage. I'm just waiting on the car. Hopefully this weekend, but I'm less and less confident that will happen every day.

I have to say that the Tomei exhaust really is exquisite. Great bends, perfect welds, and a flush interior. The whole system is 10.8lbs according to my scale.
I want I want. Lol. I'm in Bahrain and the summer is coming with extreme intensity so I am waiting until after the summer to work my power mods. I will see 125 degree days with 100% humidity. With that being said, suspension mods are first.

10lbs for a catback. I'm trying to be as light as possible which is another reason I want this exhaust.

Hopefully you get your car soon. You WILL love it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a stockpile of parts ready for the STI.

First is a set of Mach Five Wicked Awesome 18x9.5 wheels with 245/40R18 Dunlop Direzza Z2's. Wheel = 19 lb, Tire = 26 lb, total weight per wheel with air is 45.6 lb.

The rest is in this picture. Morosso dual catch can kit, Aimsoil full fluid change, StopTech Street Performance brake pads, Leggoura aluminum lug nuts, Tomei catback, and Grimspeed stock downpipe to catback adapter.

More parts are on the way, but this will be all I will have installed during the summer. Both due to class limitations and because I don't want to void my warranty, yet. :tup:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Pretty sure you can't go with wider rims in stock or street classes. The new street rules allow a 1" +/- diameter change. You can only go wider if a wider wheel was offered as a trim level upgrade. Not available on your car.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Pretty sure you can't go with wider rims in stock or street classes. The new street rules allow a 1" +/- diameter change. You can only go wider if a wider wheel was offered as a trim level upgrade. Not available on your car.
I'm aware. You're incorrectly assuming I only run with SCCA. I plan to use the OEM wheels for SCCA events.

Edit: I guess I should have mentioned above that I am also gathering parts for STU competition next year.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My STI arrived today after being on a truck for 6 days. 7.1 miles on the odometer and completely damage free (spent 30 minutes checking it). I have only gotten to drive it 1/4 mile thus far, as I had to run to work after delivery. The truck driver, Doug, was very professional and I'm happy that he took extra care with my car. Specifically of note was that he used boards to supplement the ramps to ensure it was not damaged. :tup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
My STI arrived today after being on a truck for 6 days. 7.1 miles on the odometer and completely damage free (spent 30 minutes checking it). I have only gotten to drive it 1/4 mile thus far, as I had to run to work after delivery. The truck driver, Doug, was very professional and I'm happy that he took extra care with my car. Specifically of note was that he used boards to supplement the ramps to ensure it was not damaged. :tup:

[URL=http://s19.postimg.org/fqitagdxb/20140424_090238.jpg]Image Link
[/URL] [URL=http://s19.postimg.org/qc2omgk8v/20140424_091501.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]
I hope my car arrives in the same position as yours; behind the cab. It's a long way from CO to south FL. I don't want anything hitting it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have been an avid autocross and club racer since 2008. My previous vehicle was a 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT, which is a fun car but lacks power imo. My decision to purchase a 2015 STI was made last summer, when I co-drove a friend's 2010 STI. Being a previous customer of Clint @ Heuberger Motors, I asked him to let me know when preorders started, he did, and I placed a $1000 deposit in October 2013. I subsequently ordered a CWP base STI with no port accessories on 2/14/14. As of today the car is in-transit via rail with an ETA of 4/14/14. Clint's going to get the windows tinted after the car arrives and then it is going to be shipped to my house in Virginia.

My plans for year is to prep the car for Street (BS) in SCCA. Next year the plan is to progress into Sport Touring (STU). I will be acquiring parts along the way this year with a mass install in the fall/winter.

[URL=http://s19.postimg.org/66yk3dwu7/IMG_5926.jpg]Image Link
[/URL] [URL=http://s19.postimg.org/vn70tkcqn/IMG_6321.jpg]Image Link
[/URL][URL=http://s19.postimg.org/9gcz9ukxr/10268676_542286822555603_7086652301708796175_n.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]

[URL=http://s19.postimg.org/r54q1gwov/IMG_7639.jpg]Image Link
[/URL][URL=http://s19.postimg.org/9mqocxu2n/IMG_3504.jpg]Image Link
[/URL][URL=http://s19.postimg.org/rfc8ktbb3/IMG_5846.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]
Awesome!!!
I got one as well!!!
"The Great White"

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got about 230 miles on the car so far.

Initial impressions;

1. The interior is a step above the BRZ Limited I am coming from and it seems leagues ahead of the 08-14 models. The seats are comfortable and one size fits all, which means you lack lateral support.

2. Excluding a GTR, this STI seems to be the stiffest OEM car I have ever driven. I like a firm suspension, but it certainly should not be a daily driver imo. On the other hand it is as promised. Certainly the best damped STI I have driven. Confidence inspiring for sure. It feels well balanced with zero chassis flex and little body roll.

3. The car begs to be driven fast, even in I mode. I can't wait until my break in is over.

4. The menus could be easier to navigate. I had to look in the manual to figure out how to set the clock.

5. I love how wide the doors open. I loaded a huge box in the backseat and didn't have to turn it sideways to get it in.

Another complaint with the car is not the design, but rather a quality check from Subaru. The steering wheel was about 15-20 degrees off center, which is pretty aggravating considering how obvious it was. Fortunately a dealer realigned the car under warranty.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Installed the Moroso dual catch can this weekend. Unfortunately the noise tube and intercooler didn't get along.

I also drove the car to a CAT scale for a weigh in. The scale has a tolerance/error of 20lb to which it rounds up. So my STI is between 3390-3409lbs when completely full of fuel. 15.9gal x 6.2lb = ~98lb of fuel, which translates to an approximate 3300lb dry weight.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Car has ~1200 miles on it now. I get 23mpg average
. I hit 17 psi depending on conditions

Completed my first Autox event with a local club this past weekend. Car felt great. Put down some respectable times. Next up is an SCCA event on the stock wheels/tires.

Installed:
Tomei Titanium Catback - 32.6 lb :D

Here are some pics and a link to the Autox video.

CDC Autocross: 5/3/14: Best Run: 37.1? - YouTube

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
That CDC run really looked fun. I usually don't like the Frederick track, but that looked fun! Even just by viewing the video, I can tell that this car handles differently than my 2011 (You didn't as much push as I do when driving my car on CDC's small courses).

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That CDC run really looked fun. I usually don't like the Frederick track, but that looked fun! Even just by viewing the video, I can tell that this car handles differently than my 2011 (I didn't as much push as I do when driving my car on CDC's small courses).
It was good fun. I got a chance to wear in the z2's and learn the car. It was literally the first day it saw WOT. I don't like the Frederick lot because of the ditch that runs through the center of it and because it's so small. It's easier for Miatas and S2k's to get FTD. I gotta deal with it though, because I'm trying to get a season trophy this year.

The SCCA event at FedEx in two weeks will be the real judge. Should be able to test the torque vectoring there.

1 - 20 of 299 Posts