IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started. Thread about making my nameless exhaust quieter after having another baby. I opted to go the sound deadener approach which did not...enough...

So my next question is about adding an electronic exhaust cutout Mack near the axle back and put the stock muffler back on. I realize the performance aspect might not be a factor that far back. I am really in it for the sound. I feel the STi was lacking in the sound department from the factory. But I also like the idea of not having to speak up when trying to talk to passengers.

Looking for any cutout experiences good and bad.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
User1029 - I saw o e during my searching last night...the link provided no longer worked. This is something I would be interested in...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 60mm vband wastegate hacked into the down pipe right before the factory catback. I got everything for about $200 off of ebay. It took some tinkering to get the spring right, but it works beautifully. It is not for everyone, you kinda have to have the right tools, MIG/tri-gas or a TIG, cut of saw and other bits to DIY. It fully opens at 2psi and at 70mph it's quiet as stock, no drone. I have two baby seats in the back seat, the wife and kids get a quiet ride.

The problem with e-cut outs is that after a while they fail due to the heat, but it's pretty awesome while they last. Get a name brand like QTP, Summit or JEGS brand with a warranty.

A wastegate is made to be around heat, but they do not open until you put a load on diaphragm, so you will not get the advantage of an open exhaust off idle. However, the stock exhaust works in conjunction with the cut out, so it flows well. You can also control it with a $20 boost controller too. It also hands a little lower than the stock exhaust, so my set-up would not work on a slammed car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 60mm vband wastegate hacked into the down pipe right before the factory catback...... It fully opens at 2psi and at 70mph it's quiet as stock, no drone......
Would love to hear your exhaust when the wastegate opens ?
Can you post a video ?

.....the stock exhaust works in conjunction with the cut out, so it flows well. You can also control it with a $20 boost controller too. It also hands a little lower than the stock exhaust, so my set-up would not work on a slammed car.
A picture of your setup would be great.... I do like the heat handling capacity of the wastegate...

I am thinking about putting this vacuum actuated valve in a cut-out at the mid-pipe so it opens under boost .... so some exhaust gas will bypass the stock CBE to make noise - just not sure what that will sound like with ELH and DP (good or bad). When the valve closes under manifold vacuum, all exhaust gas will go through the stock CBE and I have a quiet system.

Found a youtube video with stock CBE and cutout, sounds pretty good from inside the car...wonder what it will sounds like outside ..

Cutout Closed VS cutout Open 2010 Subaru WRX STI - YouTube

-

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 60mm vband wastegate hacked into the down pipe right before the factory catback. I got everything for about $200 off of ebay. It took some tinkering to get the spring right, but it works beautifully. It is not for everyone, you kinda have to have the right tools, MIG/tri-gas or a TIG, cut of saw and other bits to DIY. It fully opens at 2psi and at 70mph it's quiet as stock, no drone. I have two baby seats in the back seat, the wife and kids get a quiet ride.

The problem with e-cut outs is that after a while they fail due to the heat, but it's pretty awesome while they last. Get a name brand like QTP, Summit or JEGS brand with a warranty.

A wastegate is made to be around heat, but they do not open until you put a load on diaphragm, so you will not get the advantage of an open exhaust off idle. However, the stock exhaust works in conjunction with the cut out, so it flows well. You can also control it with a $20 boost controller too. It also hands a little lower than the stock exhaust, so my set-up would not work on a slammed car.

Smart guy that's a good idea, yeah I can't say I've ever seen a cutout that didn't fail over time and then it's just annoying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts