IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this first and many others...
Need help troubleshooting electrical burn smell from under hood

So after coming home from work on Fridays and parking the car until Monday morning, I'm getting a electrical smell and smoke/steam coming out of the hood/scoop. Monday morning only.

This only happens after the car sits over the weekends. 164,xxx miles and has been bulletproof reliable with zero issues since I bought the car, almost 2 years ago and about 50,000 miles.

Dramatic weather and humidity making matters worse? I can't tell where it's coming from because it does not do this while sitting still. Usually starts happening about 2 miles from the house while sitting at a major intersection, so I'm not gonna jump out and pop the hood.

The smoke/steam (whatever it is) goes away in a few miles, but I can still smell it after getting to work and parking the car. Drives/smells great all other days of the week. :confused:

Any gut feelings from anyone?
USDM 2005 STi, intake, down-pipe with no cat, and exhaust are the only mods.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
instead of driving straight to work next monday, wake a little earlier and lap around the neighborhood until it happens.. then it should be safe to pop the hood and have a look.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I read this first and many others...
Need help troubleshooting electrical burn smell from under hood

So after coming home from work on Fridays and parking the car until Monday morning, I'm getting a electrical smell and smoke/steam coming out of the hood/scoop. Monday morning only.

This only happens after the car sits over the weekends. 164,xxx miles and has been bulletproof reliable with zero issues since I bought the car, almost 2 years ago and about 50,000 miles.

Dramatic weather and humidity making matters worse? I can't tell where it's coming from because it does not do this while sitting still. Usually starts happening about 2 miles from the house while sitting at a major intersection, so I'm not gonna jump out and pop the hood.

The smoke/steam (whatever it is) goes away in a few miles, but I can still smell it after getting to work and parking the car. Drives/smells great all other days of the week. :confused:

Any gut feelings from anyone?
USDM 2005 STi, intake, down-pipe with no cat, and exhaust are the only mods.
Exhaust wrap, fire sleeves, etc can have a similar smell btw.

With the car off:
I would recommend using a powerful pencil beam flashlight to do your checks (will help concentrate your eyes on a a very specific spot, easier to pick up issues). Start with anything that moves, so your rad fan, serpentine belt, axles etc. Look for anything touching or close, dont' think electrical, just look for items that contact moving parts. Follow that up by checking "hot" parts the same way, looking for contact points.

Even if you think you have found the reason at this point start the car and watch/smell for the problem, and verify you were correct about the location. If it requires driving make sure you are on a road where you can pull off safely and quickly to pop your hood as soon as you smell it.

Make sure it isnt animal hair/droppings/bodies from something making its home over the weekend in your engine bay...

·
Registered
11 Posts
possibilities;
- It may be that your mistaken that smell for small amounts of grease spewing out of your passenger side axle boot. That grease, albeit a small amount, may be splashing unto downpipe, creating that smell and the visible smoke.

- some wire or electrical piece may be in contact with something (exhaust related) hot, most likely. Look into downpipe, uppipe, entire exhaust etc.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did remove a whole bunch of old header wrap this weekend, looks like it was on there since 2005...
I let it warm up for 20-25 minutes this Sunday after taking off all that garbage. I didn't see any leaks while it was running, but it never smoked. This morning on the way to work, of course the smoke appeared. So it may be the axles, they have been clicking for a few months now, not bad but still clicking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
^^ the "ripped axle boot grease spewing" is usually gradual. Starts splashing out small amounts of grease with every rotation, eventually and with time it gets worse.

Get under the car and inspect axle boot and the surrounding area around the axle boot (downpipe, uppie, firewall etc). If you see caked up grease somewhere, its the axle.

My advice if it is that; Get a new OEM axle or re-boot old axle (new boot and add grease).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts