IW STi Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a member here (@Leemanfor) that wanted to swap the compressor cover on his EFR 7163 to an SX-E cover after I mentioned that was suppose to make more power. He was also interested in all the spooly noises, so it was an instant sell. I mentioned to Alan, at Edge Autosport that I had the car coming in and that we wanted to swap the cover on the dyno, so we cold have the most accurate comparison that we could manage. He was interested in seeing the comparison, so we filmed the process (I brought up another comparison video yesterday, which will be very perinate to one of the many questions that get asked regularly here... it sounds like that might happen as well).

To prepare the car, I switched the tuner over to speed density so that we could more easily make the swap on the dyno, which required a much bigger intake due to the large inlet size differences. Another benefit there is that I was able to make my initial comparison pull on the exact map used on the smaller EFR compressor cover. At 20 PSI, and our altitude, it was an instant 40whp gain.

Every time I talk about this swap, I always get asked why the bigger cover isn't standard. When I spoke with a rep at Borg Warner about it, at PRI 2021, they mentioned that the 7163 was just produced first. If you're looking to maintain an internal BPV and IWG (and even and EBCS, if desired), it's a pretty good package. For this car, we utilize none of that. My personal track car (S2000) uses an EFR 7064, which has a similar sized compressor housing with the above-noted added internal features, which I use all of.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts